• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN: Coaches at a crossroads

Sorry, have to disagree with you there. This is more like it (except for the trophy, of course):

group1blog.jpg

First, he would have to root the evil ones out to get this team "culturally" right before he could get that trophy. I heard that nos. 13 and 12 don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom and they sneak out of their room some nights to go downstairs to watch tv while their parents sleep. They would be the first two that would have to go.

Want to bet?

Ha. Well, I'm sure the excuses will be made if things go south, but if we win 15 games or less next year I doubt you'll find any objective support for retaining [Redacted] out there.

Ha. Well, I'm sure the excuses will be made if things go south, but if we win 15 games or less next year I doubt you'll find any objective support for retaining [Redacted] out there.

There's objective support for [Redacted] now? Yeah, yeah, I know most new hires get 4 years..but most new hires don't suck this badly the first 3.

2&2 is still showed up on my news feed that you posted it. So all your friends can see you posted it there and if they look for it, they'll know it was deleted.

Why is the author talking about being at a "crossroads". That indicates options. Wake basketball over the past several years reminds me of the time I got lost in Southern Missouri and ended up driving along the top of a levee. The only option was to back out of the situation.

Short of the death penalty, there's no possible way Wake basketball could be much worse off than it has been the past 3 years.

This is exactly what the death penalty would have looked like... If you hired Jeff [Redacted] as your "rebuilding" coach. With the Buzz, you get to self impose the "death penalty" and at the same time hire the worst rebuilding coach in the history of basketball.

The abuse Bill Self and the Jayhawks will unleash on us at Atlantis may become epic thanks to our dumbass AD pulling the culture card with the reprimand.

Maybe we'll get very lucky and not play Kansas the entire trip.

I WANT to see us play Kansas AND USC. If I knew that would actually happen, I might even make the trip.

USC is going to experience a major turn-around this year. I believe the world is going to see what a real coach can do with those players.

What's insane about it? All data shows the guy is a train wreck of a coach spanning across his whole career.

And how long can he ride the alleged personnel disaster he inherited? He's entering Year Four.

The ONLY "personnel disaster" at Wake in Jeff [Redacted]'s first year was Ron Wellman's crony hire from Colorado.

Why is the author talking about being at a "crossroads". That indicates options. Wake basketball over the past several years reminds me of the time I got lost in Southern Missouri and ended up driving along the top of a levee. The only option was to back out of the situation.

Or you could choose the option Ron Wellman selected and just keep driving regardless of the consequences.

Last edited:
Does anyone else find it ironic that [Redacted] is at the Crossroads and is praying for Robert Johnson to save him?

Apples & oranges. Dino wasn't fired because of what was happening on the court.

I'm in no way defending the hiring of [Redacted]...but in my opinion, firing Dino was absolutely the right thing to do. The situation had reached the point where it was unavoidable. The program was completely out of control and the off the court actions of too many players in it had become an embarrassment... a national embarrassment in some cases...that undermined the foundation and integrity of what Wake Forest University is supposed to stand for. (And the people whose opinions count understood this, which is why Dino was fired.)

None of this is true. The only incident that had occurred when Dino was fired was the Gary Clark / NCAAT incident, and not only was it not public at that time but Wellman gave Dino a contract extension after it had occurred, saying, "He's done a good job in all phases of the program."

You really shouldn't proclaim you don't care about a program and then try to act like you actually know what is going on.

The only thing embarrassing about the program when Dino was fired was our performance against Miami in the ACCT.

What, besides the Gary Clark incident -- which has been demonstrated not to have been a basis for firing -- happened during Dino's regime that gave rise to the culture inquisition? People like bkf speak as if it's a given, but it's not. Without particulars, it's just AD spin and an appeal to ignorance.

You can't even get a straight story out of that crowd.

Story 1: The program was about to blow up into some scandal and Dino was fired to save our culture.

Story 2: Wellman met with Dino and asked him to recruit more 4 year type players. Dino refused and Wellman fired him.

And they all were re-recruited and vetted. God bless we just go in circles over this crap. Let's get moving forward...the sooner this season starts, the sooner it is over.

As I said in my original post, I'm not defending the hiring or retention of [Redacted]. I'm only saying that Dino had to go. And the names of the reasons why (in addition to the Gary Clark/Jeff Teague fiasco that made national television news)....as everyone should know....include Tony Woods, Ty Walker (Skip had a part in those two, as well), Melvin Tabb & J. T. Terrell. You can google them to get the arrest and/or suspension stories if you are interested. And Ari Strewart was arrested on drug charges after he left WF, so I doubt he was clean when he was here, either. There may well be others, but that is more than enough reason to fire Dino.

(And I haven't even touched on the increasing problem Dino had of recruiting players who were not the least bit interested in being a student, getting an education, or graduating.)

All of that stuff happened after Dino was fired, with recruits who were vetted by Ron Wellman. There were minimal warning signs when they were recruited.

Shame that people are actually buying into the AD's propaganda that they completely ignore what the time-lines actually were.

The problem with some of our fans on these boards is that they want to have it both ways. They want to stick their nose in the air and proclaim what an academically superior school Wake Forest is....then they come right out and say that they would have no problem with Wake Forest breaking NCAA rules and being put on probation if it meant a trip to the Final Four. Fortunately, these people are not the ones who are making the decisions for University.

And, obviously, these people are blinded by partisanship to the point that they have lost all objectivity if they cannot see...or admit...the transgressions that were going on regarding Dino's firing. I don't need to list the transgressions or the names. They were in the newspapers...and police records...for all to see.

Hilarious that you lecture anyone on partisanship.

If Gary Clark was such an embarrassment, why did Wellman allow Bz to name him team captain as a senior?

The ever-sanctimonious BKF is the one talking in circles here, not everyone else as he'd have you believe.

As I said in my original post, I'm not defending the hiring or retention of [Redacted]. I'm only saying that Dino had to go. And the names of the reasons why (in addition to the Gary Clark/Jeff Teague fiasco that made national television news)....as everyone should know....include Tony Woods, Ty Walker (Skip had a part in those two, as well), Melvin Tabb & J. T. Terrell. You can google them to get the arrest and/or suspension stories if you are interested. And Ari Strewart was arrested on drug charges after he left WF, so I doubt he was clean when he was here, either. There may well be others, but that is more than enough reason to fire Dino.

(And I haven't even touched on the increasing problem Dino had of recruiting players who were not the least bit interested in being a student, getting an education, or graduating.)

Dino was supposed to be fired for stuff that hadn't happened yet? That's some revisionist nonsense.

Back