• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Slave Auction Controversy

I think that tweet shows exactly what happened. And I think it was probably smart to make a change to prevent people making it into a meme or to drive home various other points. This is a complete fucking non-story. People are so quick to jump on anything and make a big deal about it. When we're talking about Neo-nazis and racism in America and the White House, the assignment of a sports commentator, or change thereof, is completely inconsequential. Let it die.

But this was the UVA-W&M game that would be streaming on ESPN3. Millions of viewers would have been watching!!
The announcers are on screen for maybe 60 seconds during at a telecast. A graphic with his name would have been on screen for maybe 10 seconds. When you do a booth shot of him and throw his name on the screen, just use an angle like this. Wouldn't have been that difficult to have him call the game, and protect him from memes.
espn-news.png

Agreed it's a big deal about nothing. People just love seeing ESPN fuck up.

I don't read it either, but a quick perusal of the content suggests it is a conservative or at least right-leaning sports blog. The signs I picked up on where the "MSESPN" moniker and column showing support for Confederate memorials. Curious to see you have the same take.

Still LOL'ing over this one as Clay Travis voted for Ph's hero (Obama) twice. And John Kerry before that. And Al Gore before that.

But apparently now Clay Travis is a racist member of the 'alt right' along with everyone else in the US who thinks the views of the Far Left are by and large bullshit.

Add another PHail to the long and distinguished list.

Still LOL'ing over this one as Clay Travis voted for Ph's hero (Obama) twice. And John Kerry before that. And Al Gore before that.

But apparently now Clay Travis is a racist member of the 'alt right' along with everyone else in the US who thinks the views of the Far Left are by and large bullshit.

False, everybody knows that Ph's only hero is himself.

Clay Travis is that douchebag who whined because an airline wouldn't let his lice-infested kid on an airplane:

http://deadspin.com/bearded-baby-clay-travis-complains-about-airline-turnin-1797063660

The Pepes love Clay Travis (and for good reason if you read his feed), and since you apparently follow him on twitter, I would think you would know that. He found his little niche. And if you don't think people can make a political 180 in a short period of time (whether because of senility or other reasons), I'd like to introduce you to our friend bkf.

But this was the UVA-W&M game that would be streaming on ESPN3. Millions of viewers would have been watching!!
The announcers are on screen for maybe 60 seconds during at a telecast. A graphic with his name would have been on screen for maybe 10 seconds. When you do a booth shot of him and throw his name on the screen, just use an angle like this. Wouldn't have been that difficult to have him call the game, and protect him from memes.

Agreed it's a big deal about nothing. People just love seeing ESPN fuck up.

The "issue" here was his NAME...period. Robert Lee. Seeing that he's Asian would not matter to meme generators or reddit users. I don't think it would have been huge, but it would have been something. And it was a smart move. Distance yourself from matters that make jokes about your network or employees names more easily. Should have been an internal discussion and decision, but some jackasses wanted to make it a big deal, just like there would have been jackasses making it a big deal had the change not been made. The name is what they are basing it on, not his race.

Nah, not everyone else, just the ones who defend a Klan and Nazi rallies or the idiotic display of flags of a traitorous country that declared war on the United States of America, on PUBLIC GOVERNMENT RUN PROPERTY instead of museums. Where all losers of wars belong.

It would have had an employee not leaked it to embarrass the network and announcer.

The "issue" here was his NAME...period. Robert Lee. Seeing that he's Asian would not matter to meme generators or reddit users. I don't think it would have been huge, but it would have been something. And it was a smart move. Distance yourself from matters that make jokes about your network or employees names more easily. Should have been an internal discussion and decision, but some jackasses wanted to make it a big deal, just like there would have been jackasses making it a big deal had the change not been made. The name is what they are basing it on, not his race.

Since you quoted me and then talked about him being Asian and referenced his race at the end, I think you misunderstood what I meant by using a picture/angle like the one I showed. I was just referring to not showing the field or putting up a graphic at the same time that would indicate Lee was in Charlottesville or UVA.

Went to Food Lion today to buy some milk. As usual, I pull from the back of the deck so I get the farthest-out date. To my shock and dismay, the date was ......9/11. I contemplated putting it back and going with the earlier date of 9/09, but my desire to have the freshest product to chase my brown sugar cinnamon pop tart with carried the day.

Went to Food Lion today to buy some milk. As usual, I pull from the back of the deck so I get the farthest-out date. To my shock and dismay, the date was ......9/11. I contemplated putting it back and going with the earlier date of 9/09, but my desire to have the freshest product to chase my brown sugar cinnamon pop tart with carried the day.

but what about the slaves

Back