• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

European travel suggestions for July

Skydog Deac

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to Europe in July, starting on the 7th. The first week, I will be in Ireland for work. For four days, starting on the 23rd, I will be in the Florence area. We will be returning August 8th. Outside of those two obligations, I can go anywhere. My wife wants to go to Barcelona, we may go to Paris, we are not going to England for sure. I would like to go to Berlin to see the David Bowie exhibit, but that's not a deal breaker, it's coming to Chicago the end of this year.

So, question is, if you had this time, where would you go in our remaining 18 days? I realize it will be hot and crowded, and north of the Alps would be wise, but that's not what we are going to do. So, some places mentioned, besides Barcelona and Paris have been Amsterdam, Prague, and some Grecian island like Corfu (although travel time may not be worth it). We are less into doing a lot of museums and touristy things, more into just hanging with the peeps, enjoying food, etc, since it's high season a bit more of the Rick Steves' backdoor idea. Suggestions?

I could spend a solid month in the Milan/Venice/Florence triangle.

Interlaken, Switzerland.

I could spend a solid month in the Milan/Venice/Florence triangle.

Typical response from a hairy giant.

Stay away from Italy. It's a poor man's Portugal.

Bulgaria is the best for camping and hiking. There's a nice Best Western in Sofia.

If you to Barcelona and love art, spend a couple days in Madrid to see the Prado and the Dali Museum.

Typical response from a hairy giant.

Stay away from Italy. It's a poor man's Portugal.

Bulgaria is the best for camping and hiking. There's a nice Best Western in Sofia.

Hey now, I just had my fro chopped off.

Real gelato, excellent wine, and crazy delicious food; what's not to like? Don't forget limoncello and grappa. Beautiful scenery in northern Italy too.

Obviously the big ticket places are going to get mentioned. But if you want off the beaten path a bit, Bonifacio, Corsica is a nice place to relax for a few days.

And Portugal is probs my favorite country in Western Europe. Can't recommend it enough.

Obviously the big ticket places are going to get mentioned. But if you want off the beaten path a bit, Bonifacio, Corsica is a nice place to relax for a few days.

And Portugal is probs my favorite country in Western Europe. Can't recommend it enough.

Well, Lisbon would have been a cheaper return trip, should have asked this question before getting my plane tickets!

Well, Lisbon would have been a cheaper return trip, should have asked this question before getting my plane tickets!

That's actually why we went to Lisbon in 2010. Was very pleasantly surprised at how awesome it was

I'd love to get some paella on the beach in Portugal.

Along the lines of Rick Steves, Anthony Bourdain did a week in Spain. In Barcelona and Madrid, you pay for your beer or wine and get the tapas for free at most tapas places.

I'd love to get some paella on the beach in Portugal.

Along the lines of Rick Steves, Anthony Bourdain did a week in Spain. In Barcelona and Madrid, you pay for your beer or wine and get the tapas for free at most tapas places.

Bourdain was in and around Grenada for Holy Week; at least his most recent show (Parts Unknown) was there. I can't speak for anything he did on No Reservations.

My experience in Barcelona and Madrid is not what RJ is describing, FWIW. We, along with everyone else, were paying for the beer and the tapas at all the places we went. Maybe we chose poorly.

Anyway, I'd throw a vote in for Spain. It will be warm, but there's nothing like a nice cold tinto verano on a hot day.

Bourdain was in and around Grenada for Holy Week; at least his most recent show (Parts Unknown) was there. I can't speak for anything he did on No Reservations.

My experience in Barcelona and Madrid is not what RJ is describing, FWIW. We, along with everyone else, were paying for the beer and the tapas at all the places we went. Maybe we chose poorly.

Anyway, I'd throw a vote in for Spain. It will be warm, but there's nothing like a nice cold tinto verano on a hot day.

Amen!

Yeah, what's up with that RJ? Was that back in the 70s?

Back