• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Exodus International Shut Down - I guess you really can't "Pray the Gay Away"

TWDeac

Resident Astrophysicist
Staff member
Reaction score
Exodus International Shut Down - I guess you really can't "Pray the Gay Away"

Alan Chambers', former leader of Exodus international, a pray the gay away organization, has shut it all down.

Please know that I am deeply sorry. I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn’t change. I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents. I am sorry that there were times I didn’t stand up to people publicly “on my side” who called you names like sodomite—or worse. I am sorry that I, knowing some of you so well, failed to share publicly that the gay and lesbian people I know were every bit as capable of being amazing parents as the straight people that I know. I am sorry that when I celebrated a person coming to Christ and surrendering their sexuality to Him that I callously celebrated the end of relationships that broke your heart. I am sorry that I have communicated that you and your families are less than me and mine.

More than anything, I am sorry that so many have interpreted this religious rejection by Christians as God’s rejection. I am profoundly sorry that many have walked away from their faith and that some have chosen to end their lives. For the rest of my life I will proclaim nothing but the whole truth of the Gospel, one of grace, mercy and open invitation to all to enter into an inseverable relationship with almighty God.

The majority of people that I have met, and I would say the majority meaning 99.9% of them have not experienced a change in their orientation or have gotten to a place where they could say that they could never be tempted or are not tempted in some way or experience some level of same-sex attraction. I think there is a gender issue there, there are some women who have challenged me and said that my orientation or my attractions have changed completely. Those have been few and far between. The vast majority of people that I know will experience some level of same-sex attraction.

Chambers, who is married to wife Leslie and has spoken openly about his sexual attraction to men, said last year that he was trying to distance his ministry from the notion that it could "cure" a homosexual orientation. A year ago, Chambers had already publicly backed away from the notion that the organization could cause someone to change his or her sexual orientation.

I wonder what Lectro has to say about this?

If people just worried about their own stuff instead of everyone elses, this would be a much better world. (That is not what Lectro would say, just my 2 Cents).

Alan Chambers', former leader of Exodus international, a pray the gay away organization, has shut it all down.

I have never said I promoted any such activities... When I see Mark at the Starbucks, he is the one who has initiated contact and conversation. He had an event (conversion) that dealt specifically with him. It was revelatory to him. First off, Mark is one of the most genuinely kind and funny people you will ever meet. He is easily the most well known barrista in Greensboro and knows your name, your kids' names, your life and, of course, your preference in coffee. He remains steadfast in his support of the gay community in Greensboro even though he has been shunned by many as a sort of 'traitor'. He has never promoted the idea that what happened to him might also occur to someone else and does not define people by their sexual preference.

I disputed the claim that "it could not happen" by showing that it could and did. But that was God's revelation to Mark, and Mark alone. Mark would not proscribe any such program and would only suggest that anybody who found themselves in need or worried or in pain could always turn to an enduring and all-loving God.

Just the same as the stories of a man with a wife and family of 4 who comes to the realization, late in life, "hey, I am gay"...Mark had a similar realization and noted, even after scores of men in his life, "you know, I am not gay afterall."

Don't let the original content of the conversation get in the way of your need to have an hysterical response.

TW, Exodus has simply changed it's name. It hasn't gone out of business as a group.

I have never said I promoted any such activities... When I see Mark at the Starbucks, he is the one who has initiated contact and conversation. He had an event (conversion) that dealt specifically with him. It was revelatory to him. First off, Mark is one of the most genuinely kind and funny people you will ever meet. He is easily the most well known barrista in Greensboro and knows your name, your kids' names, your life and, of course, your preference in coffee. He remains steadfast in his support of the gay community in Greensboro even though he has been shunned by many as a sort of 'traitor'. He has never promoted the idea that what happened to him might also occur to someone else and does not define people by their sexual preference.

I disputed the claim that "it could not happen" by showing that it could and did. But that was God's revelation to Mark, and Mark alone. Mark would not proscribe any such program and would only suggest that anybody who found themselves in need or worried or in pain could always turn to an enduring and all-loving God.

Just the same as the stories of a man with a wife and family of 4 who comes to the realization, late in life, "hey, I am gay"...Mark had a similar realization and noted, even after scores of men in his life, "you know, I am not gay afterall."

Don't let the original content of the conversation get in the way of your need to have an hysterical response.

There is no hysterical response here. I just find it funny that you think this works.

Beating it out of them is much more efficient

TW, Exodus has simply changed it's name. It hasn't gone out of business as a group.

I read that the board shut it down to start a new ministry. Hopefully the new one won't be the same bullshit.

So Alan Chambers announced the end of Exodus at the beginning of their annual conference … then they carried on with the conference? And now the same people are starting a new organization?

Consider me a skeptic.

Powerful letter, though.

Exodus Freedom Conference

So Alan Chambers announced the end of Exodus at the beginning of their annual conference … then they carried on with the conference? And now the same people are starting a new organization?

Consider me a skeptic.

Powerful letter, though.

Definitely skeptical but hopefully it will lead to some good dialog at least.

Consider me a skeptic.

Powerful letter, though.

Talk about leaving big smelly turd in the punch on your way out of the party. So the same crew starts a new organization. Do they say their former President was insane and didn't have any knowledge of the operation of the prior organization?!? Lots of luck with that.

It sounds like the philosophy of the organization had shifted somewhat, towards the idea that homosexuality can’t be “fixed,” but that it can be treated like alcoholism. A good support system can keep you from acting on your urges.

Certainly more inclusive, but it seems like they had been trending that way already, and the new organization is mostly about re-branding.

ETA: Though I do give them credit for changing their philosophy.

Last edited:
Back