• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite bars and eateries from your days

You went all the way to K&W on Peters Creek for a veggie plate, that's desperate.

God, I don't remember the streets any longer, but I think there was a K&W closer to campus than that. Isn't Peters Creek on the South side of town?

97-00

Daytona's (Dirtona's) - the undisputed king of Winston-Harlem college gloryholes. I lived in a jackshack on Indiana Avenue for a sec and it was right down the way. Shots. Ollie the Goalie, 24 Hour Jill, one sketchy bathroom, all smoke and no windows or fans, sketchy locals playing pool. Don't get no better.

Ziggy's -- Saw many awesome and awful shows there. Had some hommies that bartended. It was a conduit of lots of the counterculture supplies that made it into the wake greek scene.

West End Tap Room - towards the end of my time this was a legit place to pick up srat girls, cute geedz and salem chicks on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Baitys - shitty awful bar that only served beer, but great for renting out for date functions and band parties.

Rose's -- good patio pitcher scene on Thursday and Friday afternoons.

La Caretta - I sort of hated this place, but always ended up here due to peer pressure or bc bitches were going.

Dottie's Diner -- This closed while I was at wake, but great late night grub and sweet jukebox. I once did a duet of In the Jungle (the Mighty Jungle) with Dottie at like 430AM.

Simo's -- Coldest beer in town. Good Q. Also closed during my time. RIP.

West End Opera House -- Nice break from the frat scene. Had liquor. Good to mingle with older townies. Buyers market there.

Bell Bros -- basically a colon cleanse disguised as Saturday brunch.

Burke St./Black Bear -- occasionally attended these when sober drivers were available. I missed the downtown revival of Winston-Harlem by a couple of years.

Remembering these makes me think of all the silly teetotalling anti liquor laws in NC, down to the govt sponsored commie ABC stores. Is it still like this? Looking back we probably didnt need more liquor, but man how silly.

Several mentioned. I really like The Grotto as well.

Tap Room was great. Whoever was responsible for The Tap should be shot.

Hamm's, Rose's Deli, and Pancho were all my favorite restaurants, along with Village Tavern and PieWorks. If Cookout counts, I'll include it as well.

Winston had shit for bars when I was in school, so I'll say none.

Our go to bars in law school 03-06 were Opera House, Tap Room, Burke Street and Freddie B's. Less common, but places that still hold a soft spot in my heart include Daytona's, Ziggy's, Brew Ha Ha's, Diamondback and La Caretta for thirstbusters.

They used to have nickel beer night at a place downtown and Pizza Inn on Peter's Creek.

I missed the downtown revival of Winston-Harlem by a couple of years.

Same here, as apparently we were in the same class. It was probably 5 years after graduation when I first went back to W-S and I couldn't believe how much it had changed. Where was all that shit when we were there? Downtown wasn't good for anything besides getting mugged.

Same here, as apparently we were in the same class. It was probably 5 years after graduation when I first went back to W-S and I couldn't believe how much it had changed. Where was all that shit when we were there? Downtown wasn't good for anything besides getting mugged.

And the all nude BYOB shoe show on Cherry St., although that wasnt quite in downtown.

I am still waiting on Tim Duncan's sports bar.

Back