• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite paintings/drawings/photography/sculptures (visual art thread)

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
I searched for a while and couldn't find this, so I figured I'd just make it. I thought I remembered there being a thread on this before, but maybe it was back on teh Quad. My Pit Lecture Series on Renaissance art fell off the last page there, too :/

Sort of a top 5 if you will, of representational art. I am working on a top 5 abstract/non-representational list as well.

1. La Pieta - Michelangelo

4166296011_db6e6f01a8_z.jpg

Simply the greatest sculpture ever made, in my estimation. He makes marble look like fabric. He completely distorts scale and scope and makes it look incredibly realistic. He conveys utter despair mixed with the tranquility of Mary. I could go on and on.

2. The Garden of Earthly Delights - Bosch

001bosch-gardenofdelights.jpg

It's like Burning Man.

3. Haystacks with Frost - Monet

monet-haystacks-frost.jpg

Texture like whoa. Muted palette like a winter fog, and some of the widest variety of brushstrokes you'll see.

4. Snowstorm - Turner

William_Turner_-_Snowstorm.JPG

Swirling, circling composition, and the typical seascape scene from Turner. Could have picked any of a handful of his. The National Gallery in DC has a good collection, but the one in London is unparalleled.

5. The Potato Eaters - Van Gogh

Van-willem-vincent-gogh-die-kartoffelesser-03850.jpg

Maybe 50 years ahead of its time, probably more. The studies he did for this are almost more impressive, as he did them from memory since he didn't want to ask the people to pose after he did one brief sketch. It was the painting he was most proud of. He intentionally chose the ugliest people he could find to make it as realistic as possible.

Yo townie, I saw Potato Eaters in Amsterdam this summer. It was one of my favorites.

I know it's cliche and much over used nowadays, but I'm a huge fan of Starry Night.

187.jpg

One of the painted pigs in Cincinnati.

j6swvc.png

438px-Van_Eyck_-_Arnolfini_Portrait.jpg

always loved the various details in this painting, especially the mirror.

Anybody ever see Holbein's Ambassadors?

The skull is so cool, you stand at an angle basically parallel with the painting instead of perpendicular to it, and it looks like a regular skull instead of stretched out:

Holbein-ambassadors.jpg

220px-Holbein_Skull.jpg

I'm a big fan of that one as well Townie. Lots of good memory from my first and only Art History class at Wake.

i took titus for art history at wake just to fill a divisional requirement and ended up absolutely loving the class.

Bacon is so awesome. His pope paintings were so controversial. He got Rushdie type fatwa threats from the Catholic church about these:

francis-bacon-pope-innocente-x-velazquez-comparison.jpg

screaming_pope.jpeg

Wouldn't mind turning this into a discussion about what makes art, and perhaps getting into the Exit Through the Gift Shop territory. As long as we have the tagger's permission, that is.

Omg, I want to play. But I don't have the. Energy right now. I'll post some of my favs tomorrow.

521px-Johannes_Vermeer_-_De_melkmeid.jpg

Love Vermeer's works, but the color in this one in particular is amazing

What is particularly impressive about this is that it must have cost him years and years worth of built up commission money to buy the blue paint necessary to get that vibrant blue. For most of the 17th and into the 18th century, blue paint was made from crushing the valuable lapis lazuli into powder. Any insight into what's going on in the bottom right?

Btw, for those that like fun books and art, Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore is pretty spectacular.

What is particularly impressive about this is that it must have cost him years and years worth of built up commission money to buy the blue paint necessary to get that vibrant blue. For most of the 17th and into the 18th century, blue paint was made from crushing the valuable lapis lazuli into powder. Any insight into what's going on in the bottom right?

It is a foot warmer and some some painted tiles which both vaguely suggest eroticism. Apparently, maids were seen as sexual symbols in the 17th century. I don't know... I much prefer the French version.

Back