• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Shakespeare Tragedy

Favorite Shakespeare Tragedy?

• Total voters

SteelCityDeac

Reaction score
"But thou, thou meagre lead,
Which rather threaten’st than dost promise aught,
Thy paleness moves me more than eloquence,
And here choose I. Joy be the consequence!”

There is only one correct answer to this poll, and it has no hands and no tongue.

"Ron Wellman is but a knave, a rascal, an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave; a whoreson, glass-gazing, super-serviceable finical rogue; one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that wouldst be a bawd in way of good service; and art nothing but the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pander, and the son and heir of a mongrel bitch; one whom I will beat into clamorous whining if he deniest the least syllable of his addition."

-Kent, King Lear, Act 2 Scene 2. WINNER.

oh man this makes me want to go on a shakespeare binge.

Best thread in a long time. Looking forward to the tags. It's between Hamlet and Lear for me.

I love Othello, Lear and Hamlet is a classic but Macbeth has it all for me personally.

I know it's cliche but I am leaning strongly toward Romeo and Juliet, but Othello is pulling just enough for me not to click "vote"

I am tempted to vote for Doofeo and Numberet, just because I love how SteelCity worked that into the choices.

She should have died hereafter;
There would have been a time for such a word.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

I'm surprised Macbeth is so popular, not that it's not great (it certainly is).

My vote is for Lear. Love the family drama, Goneril and Reagan are splendidly terrible, the subplot with Edmund and Edgar, and the Fool.

Ian McKellen's Lear is remarkable. And it's on Netflix!

This is probably a dumb question but does Julius Caesar count as a tragedy? I know this is probably wrong since I'm asking SCD.

I enjoy almost all of these plays. Caesar is my favorite so I chose it but I love King Lear and Hamlet as well.

This is probably a dumb question but does Julius Caesar count as a tragedy? I know this is probably wrong since I'm asking SCD.

I enjoy almost all of these plays. Caesar is my favorite so I chose it but I love King Lear and Hamlet as well.

I think it's considered a tragedy because it conforms so strictly to Aristotle's definition of tragedy. I think the play runs into the same problem Richard III does in terms of the distinction between history/tragedy.

Not a dumb question at all, mang.

Yeah I've always been curious if histories fall into the category of tragedies in most cases. Thanks for the response!

I'm surprised Macbeth is so popular, not that it's not great (it certainly is).

My vote is for Lear. Love the family drama, Goneril and Reagan are splendidly terrible, the subplot with Edmund and Edgar, and the Fool.

Ian McKellen's Lear is remarkable. And it's on Netflix!

Yeah, and the sheer brutality

Back