• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Financials in An Offer

slickdeac

Reaction score
Sorry to start another thread, but what is the seemingly huge difference between 2.3-2.5mill and 3.0 mill to get Shaka? Everyone keeps saying things like "We could offer someone 2.0-2.5 but no WAY RW offers 3.0 for a coach!" I get that it's a lot of money, but this is a major institution...Between boosters, TV Revenue, and other pots, why is there a massive difference? Heck, drop the $40mill Joel renovations to $35mill and give Shaka the rest.

I get that I don't have a clue how these things work, but I feels like give or take .5 mil would be so easily made up in ticket/publicity/merch/prestige increase and should NEVER be a deal breaker when it comes to such a big turning point in our program.

Do not disagree - but I'm not opposed to an incentive based deal either...

We can offer him $3.5M without breaking a sweat.

I completely agree. After the Bz debacle, RW and Hatch need to realize how important this is - another bad hire will cost tens of millions in future revenue, so you have to consider this an investment.

Also, when a business owner makes a bad business decision, it often requires an extra investment to fix it. Wellman made a bad hire that hurt the attractiveness of this position, and so he needs to pony up more money this time to compensate for it.

Sorry to start another thread, but what is the seemingly huge difference between 2.3-2.5mill and 3.0 mill to get Shaka? Everyone keeps saying things like "We could offer someone 2.0-2.5 but no WAY RW offers 3.0 for a coach!" I get that it's a lot of money, but this is a major institution...Between boosters, TV Revenue, and other pots, why is there a massive difference? Heck, drop the $40mill Joel renovations to $35mill and give Shaka the rest.

I get that I don't have a clue how these things work, but I feels like give or take .5 mil would be so easily made up in ticket/publicity/merch/prestige increase and should NEVER be a deal breaker when it comes to such a big turning point in our program.

You have come to the right place... A number of posters here have not only audited the AD financials but have run the pro formas on the revenue streams from potential hires.

Why the Fuck is offering a competitive rate for a big name coach such a bad thing for Hatch, RW, bot etc. Is it that fact that this person, who's likely much younger, will be making 3 times what they make? Is it that they are scared to appear like a big time program that is money driven? For some damn reason, this leadership seems to be tethered to the idea that WF can and should brag about how we pay our coaches less than UNC, FSU, Clemson, etc.. But wow we still kept the game "close".

It's pathetic and a cultural disease within the leadership that I don't see going away unless Wellman can sack up his old balls and hire a winner and pay them the going rate.

Back