• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Ron Wellman

During Wellman's tenure, would be interesting to know his overall won/loss record in FB and B'ball.

Get him out of here! Thanks for the death penalty Ron!

I don't think the desired change in culture was a result of Wellman's desires.

We're where we are because of a change in how we want to compete in athletics and how it put us into a deep hole. I don't think it was Wellman's idea.

For me, Bz is the gold standard when it comes to insane hires. It never should have been allowed to happen.

If he did I'm scared to death with the hire Hatch would make.

Yep. We can't trust the fools who have been running our athletic program into the ground. They'll just hire someone else who is fine with losing.

I don't think the desired change in culture was a result of Wellman's desires.

We're where we are because of a change in how we want to compete in athletics and how it put us into a deep hole. I don't think it was Wellman's idea.

Winner! Winner! You have to go higher than Wellman

Maybe so, but Nathan Hatch did not choose Jeff [Redacted].

Winner! Winner! You have to go higher than Wellman

Bingo. Wellman is part of the problem because he is a royal asshole. But, Hatch and the Board of Trustees have led this parade straight into the bowels of irrelevancy. I honestly think Hatch and his Board buddies would be pleased if Wake left the ACC for D-3.

None of that was the reasoning for firing Gaudio. Wellman was direct in saying that it was the late-season on-court performance. Too often, athletic directors don't want to stand up and say why they are making a decision. They want to be everyone's best friend and don't want to appear to have blood on their hands.

If you're going to fire someone, just do it and say why.

Wellman did.

"The decision was based on the overall performance the past three years," Wellman said. "I looked at our February and March records and how the performances declined rather dramatically. We were 16-17 in February in those three years and in March 4-7, and 1-6 in postseason play, including the ACC tournament. In six of those losses, we were the higher-seeded team or better seeded in five of those losses. Yet the games weren't even close."

Wellman admits at some point he had to ask himself "can that be rectified or should we move in a different direction. I chose to move on."

Wellman said his role on the NCAA tournament men's basketball selection committee was the reason he waited until after the Final Four to call Gaudio into his office Wednesday and make the move.

"He was surprised," Wellman said. "He handled it exceptionally well. We had a 15-20 minute meeting. I answered all his questions. He was professional. He left, we shook hands, and he thanked me for the opportunity."

Wellman said there is a buyout in Gaudio's contract that he will honor. He also said he told the assistant coaches that they will have the opportunity to remain at Wake with the new coach and be given a legitimate interview. He said if they don't land a job on staff or somewhere else, they will be paid through Dec. 31, extending the contracts six months.

Wellman doesn't mess around. He tells it straight, unlike some athletic directors who talk out of both sides and don't give straight answers. He is respected for that by his peers. He stands there, dishes out his decision and then defends it without hiding. He isn't afraid to use the word "fired." Wellman also always has had a plan.

He will act quickly, not hire a search firm, and handle everything by himself.

"It has to be someone who can take over the program and reach the goals and objectives we have," Wellman said. "We're not out to win the press conference. I'm not saying we won't, but that's not the priority. I want someone for long-term success."

Wellman annihilated Wake Forest athletics. If you would have told me 20 years ago that anything/anyone could have completely shut down my interest in my alma mater's sports programs - I'd said you're crazy but Wellman managed to do so. I'd pay a local high school AD to come in and take a shot the AD role and roll the dice versus allowing Wellman to continue running the program into the ground.

None of that was the reasoning for firing Gaudio. Wellman was direct in saying that it was the late-season on-court performance. Too often, athletic directors don't want to stand up and say why they are making a decision. They want to be everyone's best friend and don't want to appear to have blood on their hands.

If you're going to fire someone, just do it and say why.

Wellman did.

"The decision was based on the overall performance the past three years," Wellman said. "I looked at our February and March records and how the performances declined rather dramatically. We were 16-17 in February in those three years and in March 4-7, and 1-6 in postseason play, including the ACC tournament. In six of those losses, we were the higher-seeded team or better seeded in five of those losses. Yet the games weren't even close."

Wellman admits at some point he had to ask himself "can that be rectified or should we move in a different direction. I chose to move on."

Wellman said his role on the NCAA tournament men's basketball selection committee was the reason he waited until after the Final Four to call Gaudio into his office Wednesday and make the move.

"He was surprised," Wellman said. "He handled it exceptionally well. We had a 15-20 minute meeting. I answered all his questions. He was professional. He left, we shook hands, and he thanked me for the opportunity."

Wellman said there is a buyout in Gaudio's contract that he will honor. He also said he told the assistant coaches that they will have the opportunity to remain at Wake with the new coach and be given a legitimate interview. He said if they don't land a job on staff or somewhere else, they will be paid through Dec. 31, extending the contracts six months.

Wellman doesn't mess around. He tells it straight, unlike some athletic directors who talk out of both sides and don't give straight answers. He is respected for that by his peers. He stands there, dishes out his decision and then defends it without hiding. He isn't afraid to use the word "fired." Wellman also always has had a plan.

He will act quickly, not hire a search firm, and handle everything by himself.

"It has to be someone who can take over the program and reach the goals and objectives we have," Wellman said. "We're not out to win the press conference. I'm not saying we won't, but that's not the priority. I want someone for long-term success."

I completely believe this and don't believe the Dino whisper campaign after the fact of the Buzz hire at all. it was all a bunch of save face BS put out by Wellman and his supporters.

Back