• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Forged check issue

timthedeac

Reaction score
A little over a year ago, my wife changed jobs and we tried to roll over some money from her Fidelity 401k with the former employer to her IRA at Vanguard. Fidelity mailed us a check that we were to mail to Vanguard to be deposited. The check was intercepted, endorsement forged, and the recipient cashed the check.

We filed a complaint with Fidelity and signed an affidavit of forged check for them to look into it. Their "investigation" has been going on for about 8-9 months.

A couple months ago, I filed a complaint with the CFPB, but they referred it to FINRA (which I think was mistake. Even though Fidelity is the company involved, it's not a securities issue but just a forged check issue between Fidelity's bank and the bank that cashed the bad check). So no help from the CFPB in putting any pressure on Fidelity.

Anyone have any suggestions for how I can get the money back (or a new check re-issued) from Fidelity? It's only a couple thousand dollars - not enough that life savings are at stake but enough that I want to get the money back.

I'm assuming you have an idea of where the check was intercepted if you know where it was cashed. This seems like something that should have been pursued outside of Fidelity a while back, and you may even be running up against statutes of limitations depending where the criminal complaints would be filed

The accepting bank should have been on the hook for this. Fidelity will only issue a new check if they recover the funds from the bank that redeemed the check. That window has likely passed, or the delay could be from the failure of the bank to respond to the claim.

The affidavit was used by Fidelity to request the funds back from the bank. Banks are ridiculous about this and drag their feet as long as possible and hope the issue just goes away. If Fidelity will tell you what bank took the forged check, you may be able to make a claim in small claims court. Worse, if it went to a check cashing place you are probably hosed.

Was the payee altered, or was it simply a matter of a forged endorsement in your wife's name?

Another issue may be how long it took to report the check missing or when it was identified as having been forged and cashed. Assuming that the check was deposited into a new account that the thief opened for this purpose (and not a real account under their own name), the funds should have been held for 5-10 business days to see if it would clear. This is when a stop-pay by Fidelity for a missing check would have come in handy.

Last edited:
The accepting bank should have been on the hook for this. Fidelity will only issue a new check if they recover the funds from the bank that redeemed the check. That window has likely passed, or the delay could be from the failure of the bank to respond to the claim.

My understanding was that I can recover from Fidelity, Fidelity has to go and recover from the accepting bank, and the accepting bank has to go find the person who forged the check (and that I don't have to deal directly with the accepting bank). Are you saying that Fidelity is only legally obligated to issue a new check if the funds are recoverable by Fidelity too or that in reality Fidelity won't give me money unless they already know they're covered?

Was the payee altered, or was it simply a matter of a forged endorsement in your wife's name?

Payee was changed from Vanguard FBO [wife's IRA account] to a presumably fake name which matched the endorsement name on the back. Seems like this makes the accepting bank's error more understandable and more blame on Fidelity's bank (would they have had a chance to see the image of the check before sending funds to accepting bank?)

Another issue may be how long it took to report the check missing or when it was identified as having been forged and cashed. Assuming that the check was deposited into a new account that the thief opened for this purpose (and not a real account under their own name), the funds should have been held for 5-10 business days to see if it would clear. This is when a stop-pay by Fidelity for a missing check would have come in handy.

We weren't able to get this in time. Original check was dated 3/18. I began looking into it after a week or two when funds didn't show up in Vanguard. It took Vanguard a week or two to confirm the check hadn't arrived there. Didn't put a stop on the check until 4/16. Then Fidelity later found that it was cashed or deposited on 4/1. Obviously I'd handle this differently in hindsight.

The affidavit was used by Fidelity to request the funds back from the bank. Banks are ridiculous about this and drag their feet as long as possible and hope the issue just goes away. If Fidelity will tell you what bank took the forged check, you may be able to make a claim in small claims court. Worse, if it went to a check cashing place you are probably hosed.

I think that's what Fidelity, Fidelity's bank, and the accepting bank are all doing. Since CFPB hasn't been any help, I'm planning to file a small claims court complaint. But going back up to my first response - can I file the complaint against Fidelity rather than the accepting bank/check casher?

My understanding was that I can recover from Fidelity, Fidelity has to go and recover from the accepting bank, and the accepting bank has to go find the person who forged the check (and that I don't have to deal directly with the accepting bank). Are you saying that Fidelity is only legally obligated to issue a new check if the funds are recoverable by Fidelity too or that in reality Fidelity won't give me money unless they already know they're covered?

I am not 100% certain but I don't believe Fidelity has a legal obligation to replace your check until they have recovered the funds themselves. Otherwise, they are out the money twice even though the fraud was not their fault and likely was caused by poor bank controls. At least that's the way we handle it. Unless we made an error of some sort, we don't pay twice and incur the loss ourselves. To pursue it, yes you would go to Fidelity but then you are at the mercy of whether they can recover the funds.

Payee was changed from Vanguard FBO [wife's IRA account] to a presumably fake name which matched the endorsement name on the back. Seems like this makes the accepting bank's error more understandable and more blame on Fidelity's bank (would they have had a chance to see the image of the check before sending funds to accepting bank?)

The issue here then is how did the bank process the check? Did they literally give the customer cash? This would be highly unlikely unless it was an existing account holder with funds in their account equal to the amount of the check and valid ID that matched the endorsement. If that was the case, then they know who to recover the funds from.

If that was not the case it gets trickier. In scenario B, the person had opened an account using false ID. they likely deposited the check, waited X business days for it to clear, then withdrew the cash and either closed the account or just abandoned it. because of the false ID used to open the account, the bank is never going to be able to recover the funds. Their defense in this case is that they gave the check X of days to clear which is the window in which you or Fidelity could theoretically have stopped pay (note: it is unrealistic to think you could have realized it wasn't just a delay in the mail that quickly, but that's the way it works).

Regarding if Fidelity had a duty to "catch" the altered name, no financial institution (banks or check issuers) is required to manually verify endorsements any more. Not many people realize this until something goes wrong though.

We weren't able to get this in time. Original check was dated 3/18. I began looking into it after a week or two when funds didn't show up in Vanguard. It took Vanguard a week or two to confirm the check hadn't arrived there. Didn't put a stop on the check until 4/16. Then Fidelity later found that it was cashed or deposited on 4/1. Obviously I'd handle this differently in hindsight.

Would be interesting to know if Fidelity uses positive pay on issued checks, but if the amount was not changed then positive pay may not have helped. I also didn't realize in writing my original post that it was a check going directly between Fidelity and Vanguard, and not from Fidelity to you. That actually may put Fidelity on the hook a bit more in that they had a duty to deliver the funds to Vanguard. Most stolen checks get nabbed from residential mailboxes and less so between two corporations that likely use commercial PO Boxes or lockboxes. That would imply that a postal worker was involved.

I think that's what Fidelity, Fidelity's bank, and the accepting bank are all doing. Since CFPB hasn't been any help, I'm planning to file a small claims court complaint. But going back up to my first response - can I file the complaint against Fidelity rather than the accepting bank/check casher?
I don't think I can answer this definitively. Check fraud is highly frustrating as there are no clear rules. Banking regs have language about this but no one seems to follow it directly. We deal with several national banks and some are worse then others. SunTrust is hands down the most awful. We had clear evidence of significant teller errors over a $10k dual payee check that they took with a single endorsement from a company that wasn't one of the two payees and they still refused to pony up. Most recently we had an altered check with blatantly obvious errors (totally different font for the word "nine" written before "thousand" for one thing) that was deposited in an ATM and whichever teller ran the ATM deposits let it go through.

Last edited:
In re-reading my posts, not sure I have really helped you with anything aside from explaining what we see from the "fidelity" side of the house. makes it no less frustrating for you. it pisses me off to no end when our customers get ripped off but we are limited in how we can we help until / if we get the funds back ourselves.

Back