• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FOX Sports 1 and Major Event Coverage (WCC and US Open)

Fusiondad10

Reaction score
What are you folks thinking about FOX Sports now that they've tried to push FS1 as the goofier, hipper, Sportscenter and fumbled through the Women's World Cup and US Open coverage?

Except for the beautiful set background in Vancouver for the WWC and JP Dellacamera and Tony DiCicco, Fox is killing any soccer interest with their unknowable or boring or goofball group of analysts. I follow soccer, and I could give a crap what Kate Abdo, Leslie Osborne, Monica Gonzalez, Kate from England, the goofy ex-canada girl, and Ariane Hingst think. Is this just Fox throwing a gratuitous bone those countries so we don't have to negotiate with them about Nukes? Seriously, what about some French babe who doesn't speak english, is that fair to France? Scripting that idiot Lalas as the "bad guy"? Eric Wynalda as the "expert" who's never succeeded anywhere in the game after playing? I mean c'mon FOX! And then the broadcast teams....Glenn Davis, who can't pronounce the foreign player names, really? And all the 3rd tier ex- USWNT players....huh? Ali Wagner, Danielle Slaton, Leslie Osborne??????? It's like the Kardashians are doing the color commentary. And of course I can' forget to mention our new male cheerleader, Rob Stone, who's constant references to "the States", and single pair of dog poop colored brown shoes with every outfit just make my skin crawl.

And as far as the US Open coverage... Curt Menafee, "where's Terry, Howie, Jimmy?" , the invigorating Cory Pavin, the dynamic Grandpa Tom Weiskopf( "who?" says everybody watching), and the ever popular Steve Flesch? I always hated Norman too, but I'll give him a pass 'cause he's the only one who sounds like he knows ANYTHING ! What happened to Dow Finsterwald, the Walrus, or somebody with global appeal like Jean Van DeVeldt? If we're gonna continue down the ex-players road, why not Chuck Barkley, he "knows" a bad swing? Or Rush Limbaugh if we're going for the righties, and Nancy Pelosi for the left handers, or Justin Timberlake, for the young'uns. They're never without their sticks I'm betting.

Fox, if you keep this up I may never watch sports again.

I think, at least, that Greg Norman was about to say last night that watching Tiger Woods was close to watching a train wreck. That was as close as anybody on a major golf broadcast to saying Tiger has lost it. Brandel Chamblee is the only one for the last few years to actually say it publically on Golf Channel and he got crap for it but he was 100% correct.

Im actually impressed with the attention FS1 has given the WWC. The anchors, while inexperienced, are generally knowledge about the sport, which I prefer over bringing in seasoned British guys who don't know anything about the women's game. When they get the men's WC I'm sure they'll bring in plenty of Euro guys just like ESPN did. So at least they're trying.

The U.S. Open is fucking awful. The course, their coverage and Joe Buck can all suck it.

agreed, the WC coverage is fucking terrible.

Not sure i need to watch jason day roll around on the ground for 10 min but whatever. The Open coverage isnt' as bad as the WC

WWC announcers all think they are master tacticians. Every single play one of them has to comment on how it could have been better.

The constant criticism is so off putting. Especially since it's womens soccer. It's a miracle if they can string 3 passes together.

WWC announcers all think they are master tacticians. Every single play one of them has to comment on how it could have been better.

The constant criticism is so off putting. Especially since it's womens soccer. It's a miracle if they can string 3 passes together.

Just switch over to BeIN and watch Copa instead. Every pass, tackle, save, shot is THE MOST REMARKABLE thing that has ever happened.

And if those criticisms are in reference to the USWNT then they are spot on. There is a reason a bunch of no named Japanese midgets worked us in the last WC final, and that the Germans have surpassed us as the world's #1.

It really has made me appreciate the occasional, subtle, passive, sarcastic criticism of English announcers.

It really has made me appreciate the occasional, subtle, passive, sarcastic criticism of English announcers.

There should be a law that only ESPN can do the WC or WWC as long as Ian Darke is in their employ. He's the best play by play announcer in any sport and is entertainingly cheeky. The British golf guys who cover the Euro tour aren't bad either. I'm trying to think of other play by play guys who have been as good as Darke, and the only names I can come up with are Summerall, Jon Miller and Keith Jackson. Marty Glickman was before my time.

This. We muted the second U.S. game because whichever commentator was a woman made it seem like she was the MJ of soccer.

They kind of remind me of my grandpa and his back in the day you had to walk uphill both ways

Coverage starts at 2, takes 30 min to start showing actual golf....

Coverage starts at 2, takes 30 min to start showing actual golf....

I know I tuned in to watch Brad Faxon talk so if golf starts showing up, I'm out.

Annnnnnnd back to more talking heads.... for fucks sake.

Are we going to watch any golf? This is freakin ridiculous.

Back