• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FSU Game Review / Bye Week and Army Game Thread

I don't understand how your backup can be so "unprepared" to play according to Clawson. Not knowing the offense well enough, not knowing the opposing defensive scheme well enough? I mean he's one injury away from having to be the guy?

I don't understand how your backup can be so "unprepared" to play according to Clawson. Not knowing the offense well enough, not knowing the opposing defensive scheme well enough? I mean he's one injury away from having to be the guy?
Perhaps that's Claw's nice way of saying, "We think Wolford is better."

Perhaps that's Claw's nice way of saying, "We think Wolford is better."

I think I would rather he just say that, than to act like we can't coach our backup up enough to have a clue what's he's doing.

Even if we lose out we would almost certainly go to a bowl game at 5 wins given our APR score.

It's highly statistically unlikely that we will lose out. We are projected at 2.2-2.8 in our final 5 games.

That gives us a 3.33% chance of losing out.

Estimating that 3.33% chance increased about tenfold after yesterday.

If we are stuck with Wolford against UVA or the rest of the season and this coaching staff wants the passing game to be a major part of the offense, then I believe the following changes could possibly make the passing game more effective than it was yesterday. Before I begin, I should state that I didn't agree with yesterday's offensive game plan, nor did I agree with the way Wolford was used. Also, I don't believe that Wolford lost us the game, the gameplan/play calling lost us the game (We were averaging 4.8 yards per carry on 21 carries around the middle of the 3rd Qtr). Furthermore, I have stated that since Wolford became the starting QB that we should have gone to some type of run option, or a very simple version of a RPO.

- Stop using the mid and long range passing game on a regular basis. Its fine to go deep off of a play action when you have lulled the defense into thinking you are going to run the ball.

I will base the following off of sets with 3 WR, 1 TE, and 1 RB with the QB in Shotgun. Also, to keep things simple, the RB is next to the QB to help pass block.

If the defense shows Man Coverage:

- Twins on both sides (TE replaces a WR), have the TE/Serigne in the slot. He will create a mismatch whether there is a DB or LB covering him. Just have the TE in slot run a 5-7 slant in.

- Twins on both sides (TE replaces a WR), have the TE/Serigne in the slot. Run double slants, the slot will clear out the underneath coverage with his slant, while the WR works behind it. The QB has a simple movement key (hook defender) and that defenders movement quickly defines where the QB will throw the ball.

- Trips but with 2 WRs & TE on one side and 1 WR on the other. Either run a WR or TE screen using the other 2 players as blockers. At times, depending on the defensive alignment you can even pull the strong side tackle to help block down field since its a quick pass to the sidelines.

If the defense is showing zone coverage:

- Twins on both sides but with TE in the slot. Run a simple "High Low", the outside WR runs a 5 yard out and the TE runs a 10 yard out, thus forcing the CB to "cover" one of the patterns, throw to the WR/TE that he "cheated" away from.

- Same as above, expect the outside WR runs a 5 yard curl and the TE in the slot runs a 10 yard slant towards the sideline. Once again, CB will be forced to "cheat" towards one of the patterns and you throw to the opposite person.

In the examples above, I left the RB in to block, but you can have the WRs clear out coverage on one side and have the RB run a wheel route to that side, again another 5-10 yard pass. I am not claiming to be an offensive genius, and I know there are coaches out there that have forgotten more about football philosophy than I will ever know. However, all I am trying to show is that is possible to use a passing game with Wolford, but they have to be short passes.

Last edited:
Any word on Jaboree and his injury? He had a strong game til he got hurt

Nice photos as always Bob.

We just have to put this game and the 1-3 October record in our behind and turn the page to the Hoos coming to town to start the four game November game slate.

The first picture was the best part of the day unfortunately. I always enjoy the parachute team, badasses!

By the way......

We aren't going to win another game.

Not playing like that we won't- definitely a Homecoming clunker but hopeful that Clawson can get their attention this week.

Horrible loss with the '06 ACC Champs team in attendance as well. :(

Agree with the O criticisms. Tired of hearing we can't run any other O due to lack of personnel and limitations in athleticism, etc., etc.,etc. There is no way this current O has a snowball's chance to advance the ball on ACC D's. Unbelievably simple, limited, and down right ugly to watch. Look at the defenses of NC State and FSU for examples. B.C. and UVa are both huge in their lines. Syracuse was a weather anomaly, IMO.

If the excuse is primarily focused on the O-line then start signing more in number and quality.

Not playing like that we won't- definitely a Homecoming clunker but hopeful that Clawson can get their attention this week.

Horrible loss with the '06 ACC Champs team in attendance as well. :(

Well in all fairness, the guys on the 06 team that were still around in 08 were part of their own stinker against an academy team, but we did get revenge in the bowl game that year.

Well in all fairness, the guys on the 06 team that were still around in 08 were part of their own stinker against an academy team, but we did get revenge in the bowl game that year.

Wasn't that loss in the rain and Riley had like 5 INTs?

Noticing the Bob McCreary Video Board in the shadow of the McCreary Tower and just wondering how many things does he have his name on?

Wasn't that loss in the rain and Riley had like 5 INTs?

IIRC we had an offensive lineman tossed on the FIRST play of the game for unsportsmanlike conduct. We went into that game 3-0 after beating Baylor, Mississippi State and Florida State. #9 preseason Clemson was coming to BB&T the next week on national t.v. (Thursday night on the mother channel), and had we beat Navy it would have been an unbelievable atmosphere for that game. In spite of the loss the Clemson game was quite an event: place was packed, Skinner caught a touchdown pass out of the Wildcat, and we won 12-7. It was a beautiful, clear night and the lights from the Dixie Classic Fair only added to it.

IIRC we had an offensive lineman tossed on the FIRST play of the game for unsportsmanlike conduct. We went into that game 3-0 after beating Baylor, Mississippi State and Florida State. #9 preseason Clemson was coming to BB&T the next week on national t.v. (Thursday night on the mother channel), and had we beat Navy it would have been an unbelievable atmosphere for that game. In spite of the loss the Clemson game was quite an event: place was packed, Skinner caught a touchdown pass out of the Wildcat, and we won 12-7. It was a beautiful, clear night and the lights from the Dixie Classic Fair only added to it.

We beat Ole Miss that year, not Miss St.

Back