• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FU

So you're telling me that if you were at the Country Club pool, bragging about your kids, and where they got into college, people would be more impressed by Colgate, Richmond and Illinois, than by Wake Forest? Poppycock.

Before people freak out (too late) because this is so much lower than USN&WR rankings that we're used to, this includes schools that aren't included in our category for USN&WR which no doubt would be above us if they were lumped in.

But, at the same time we're ranked behind some of the schools that we're ranked ahead of in the USNWR rankings.

i don't understand why university of southern cal is always ranked so high, their undergrads are donks

Would be interesting to compare how cost and crippling debt factor into these rankings vs. USNWR.

The "average net price" (last column) also partly provides an answer to this question.

I did not click through enough to see what they mean by "average net price", but in this case it appears the "average" is a pretty worthless stat

If you get into WF and WF deems you can "afford" it, your net price is $71,700 unless you happen to earn a merit scholarship

That ranking...ouch. Employers do look upon Wake more favorably than that, especially along the eastern seaboard and in the south. A Wake degree helps you get a job in those regions.

However, I don't believe the "Hatch Era" will be looked upon favorably 10 years from now. During his tenure Wake really hasn't increased its prestige or rankings, cost of attendance has soared, the student body is looking more homogeneous and Vandy-esque every year (not good)...and Hatch makes crazy money that apparently isn't tied to a tangible measure of performance.

I spoke with him at two different Wake alumni events and he came across, at least to me, as incredibly arrogant and self-absorbed. So my opinion is tainted.

I agree. At best he maintained the gains of the Hearn era while significantly growing the campus. If that’s a measure of success then perhaps that works for you.

the student body is looking more homogeneous and Vandy-esque every year (not good)...

How is the student body "looking more homogenous" every year? I'm not arguing that it isn't, I just wonder how you're eyeball -testing the student body diversity.

I'm pretty sure that, by the numbers, the student body has become more diverse each and every year since like 2003

When I looked at the numbers a few years ago, it seemed like the numbers were similar except for the addition of students from China.

Need to build a wall to keep out Yankees.

Last edited:
That ranking...ouch. Employers do look upon Wake more favorably than that, especially along the eastern seaboard and in the south. A Wake degree helps you get a job in those regions.

However, I don't believe the "Hatch Era" will be looked upon favorably 10 years from now. During his tenure Wake really hasn't increased its prestige or rankings, cost of attendance has soared, the student body is looking more homogeneous and Vandy-esque every year (not good)...and Hatch makes crazy money that apparently isn't tied to a tangible measure of performance.

I spoke with him at two different Wake alumni events and he came across, at least to me, as incredibly arrogant and self-absorbed. So my opinion is tainted.

I know this has been argued ad nauseum on these boards, but this just isn't true beyond the entry level (and might not even be true then).

The federal government defines "average net price" as:

Average Net Price is a term defined by the federal government which is the average amount students paid to attend a college after deducting gift aid. According to CollegeNavigator, the college search website for the National Center for Education Statistics,

Average net price is generated by subtracting the average amount of federal, state/local government, or institutional grant or scholarship aid from the total cost of attendance. Total cost of attendance is the sum of published tuition and required fees, books and supplies, and the weighted average for room and board and other expenses.

I agree that WFU and many private colleges are prohibitively expensive for many middle class and upper middle class families whose children don't qualify for a scholarship. If I were a parent in a situation like that and my child had the choice between paying state resident tuition at UNC-CH and paying full or even somewhat "discounted" tuition at WFU, I would pick UNC-CH.

There's no question that cost is a very important factor in picking a college these days. Wake is a rich school compared to most schools but it doesn't have the financial resources of schools like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, etc that can discount tuition even for families who are relatively well off. If you look at the "average net price" figures, you can tell which private schools have the most money available for scholarships for the broadest group of recipients.

I never look at tuition price. I believe colleges jack it up so that those who can pay full price will, and most will have some aid. It would be interesting to see the average tuition of a student, although we will never see it.

Generally agree. Although to play devil's advocate - what schools have moved in prestige and rankings over the last decade? University of Chicago is the only real mover that I can think of off the top of my head. For all the hype and attention on each year's USNews rankings, there isn't much movement over the long term.

If the Wake Downtown/Engineering end up being good for the university, he should get credit for those. I'm not convinced that they will do anything and would've rather seen us get better at things we already do.

Back