• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fuck you, Science!

Have I ever told the story about how Stephen Hawking ran over my friend's foot with his wheelchair? That's pretty much it.

Instead of apologizing, he said some shit about the vastness of the universe and the infinite nature of time.

What did Disney do? I might be a little older than you (I'm in my 40s) but I don't remember anything by Disney about this.

242px-The_Black_Hole_Poster_1.webp

I didn't realize that it was a thing. I've never once heard any of the ones mentioned in the article:

sexome, circomics, nascentome, connectome, predatosome, negatome, diseasome, receptorome, uniqueome, drugome, adversomics, bibliome, N-terminome, transactome, nutriome, miRNAome, tRNomics, variome, speechome, vaccinomics, pharmacomicrobiomics, and museomics

I can't think of a single example of ever seeing this.

fox news says that EBOLA can turn airborne and kill everyone! THANKS, "SCIENCE"

Between this and "optics," why is a person who is so liberal in seemingly everything else so conservative when it comes to the evolution of language? Is this part of what makes a person a hipster these days?

I'm not sure that I am all that conservative about language, just precise. The "-gate" trend after Watergate was dumb, too, and a fundamental misunderstanding of suffixes.

I didn't realize that it was a thing. I've never once heard any of the ones mentioned in the article:

sexome, circomics, nascentome, connectome, predatosome, negatome, diseasome, receptorome, uniqueome, drugome, adversomics, bibliome, N-terminome, transactome, nutriome, miRNAome, tRNomics, variome, speechome, vaccinomics, pharmacomicrobiomics, and museomics

I can't think of a single example of ever seeing this.

rampant in science

example http://webinar.sciencemag.org/webinar/archive/connectomics-cutting-edge

Connectome? There is no way that actually means anything.

I'm not sure that I am all that conservative about language, just precise. The "-gate" trend after Watergate was dumb, too, and a fundamental misunderstanding of suffixes.

Thoughts on the "-sauce" movement?

I don't think anyone thinks -gate is proper. It's not imprecise either. It's stale now, but when people started it, I thought it was kind of funny. I want to hear a pundit talk about the recent breach of security at the White House as gate-gate.

Last edited:
Back