• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon - (and beyond) Discussion (spoilers allowed)

Hard to have riveting dialog when they decided 6 episodes and we're done. They had to cram a ton of character arcs into a small amount of time. That does not lend itself to finishing storylines in ways that feel natural.

At the same time, I’m not sure there was a satisfying way to wrap this up.

“No one will be alive by the last book. In fact, they all die in the fifth. The sixth book will be just a thousand-page description of snow blowing across the graves ...”

Hard to have riveting dialog when they decided 6 episodes and we're done. They had to cram a ton of character arcs into a small amount of time. That does not lend itself to finishing storylines in ways that feel natural.

and there were some drawn out dud episodes last season

plenty of actual time to wrpa up the storylines, just seemed to mismanage the pacing completely

At least this shit show gives me a reason to read the last 2 books when/if they are published...

Also, DB Weiss was probably spending too much time fucking around with his guitar and chilling with rock legends to put together a decent final season for us..

At least this shit show gives me a reason to read the last 2 books when/if they are published...

I'm sure this theory is probably out there, but did George slow play this to allow the show to tank without him so he could come back with solid "Fuck You for Messing With My Shit" final books?

I'm sure this theory is probably out there, but did George slow play this to allow the show to tank without him so he could come back with solid "Fuck You for Messing With My Shit" final books?

This wouldn’t surprise me one bit. Martin is definitely that petty. Before these last two seasons I was telling friends of mine that the show was an improvement on the books for the most part and there really wasn’t any reason for them to read the books. I couldn’t feel any more the opposite of that now. The show runners have been lost at sea without a book to guide them. I still put the bulk of the blame on GRRM for not having WoW published by the time the show caught up. He essentially robbed us of one of the best shows of all time.

Trust me when I say that there is nearly no intentionality to GRRM "slow playing" anything. Dude just writes at his own pace, everyone else be damned.

I feel the opposite. It seems like they had 3 episodes worth of content and were like 'we can't have a 3 episode season' forcing them to add filler. They should have just added 3-4 episodes to season 7 and been done with it.

Sure. However, the show was always about world building, character arcs, dialog and interaction between characters. It was complex and followed twists to a natural conclusion. I feel like in order to finish up they are taking short cuts with the story. So much feels forced and unearned.

I’m pretty ok with that ending.

Shockingly I feel the same. Honestly I think it was because I read the spoilers so didn’t have my hopes up too high. And was just able to kind of roll with the wrap up.

Mostly just glad for an actual effing Ghost hug finally!

Back