• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

Not sure if this was posted already today on here, but the Washington Post wrote an excellent article on how Donald Trump is giving the Alt-Right credibility and power, which is basically radicalizing them even more:

Once relegated to the political fringes, the alt-right has become a sudden, shocking force in mainstream politics, closely identified with the Donald Trump campaign. Trump’s campaign chief executive, Stephen Bannon, is a former executive chairman of Breitbart News, which he once described as “the platform of the alt-right.” Trump regularly retweets the memes and messages of the alt-right, which has propelled the movement into the limelight.

But lurking behind the offensive tweets and racially charged campaign rhetoric, there’s a more subtle — and far more dangerous — potential threat posed by the alt-right. As my colleagues and I found during a large-scale analysis of alt-right Twitter activity over the past nine months, the movement is growing measurably more radical, and possibly more inclined to violence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-radical-the-alt-right-has-gotten-this-year/

Yes, and with more political clout, civil rights movements like Black Lives Matter have gotten body cameras and more $ for police training.

I don't think you can actually produce evidence that BLM has radicalized other than loosely associating riots and violence with the movement as a whole.

Probably shouldn't dignify posts like these with a response.

58343243.jpg

What's the analog for Democrats enabling BLM type ideology that rises to the level of the Obama birther conspiracy and the widespread belief among the alt-right community (propagated and endorsed by Trump as well) that Obama founded ISIS - a statement that is demonstrably untrue by any cursory level of analysis?

If anything, the most recent case in Charlotte proves that even more needs to be done.

I don't think you can actually produce evidence that BLM has radicalized other than loosely associating riots and violence with the movement as a whole.

I just love that little sentence....especially that "loosely associated" tidbit. Seems like they go together like peas & carrots. Where you see one, you see the other.

"Other than the riots and violence, BLM isn't radical at all."

I'll stop engaging after this, but you left out the two words in that quote that were arguably the most important to Townie's intent.

“He has insulted brown people, black people, Muslim people, Jewish people. He has insulted women. He has insulted the grieving parents of a dead soldier. He has mocked a disabled person and expressed admiration for dictators. He has ham-handedly pandered to a politically critical portion of the population by posting to social media a picture of gringo Tex-Mex captioning it, “I love hispanics!” He has suggested he could shoot somebody and not lose votes. He has openly talked about the possibility of the assassination of his opponent. Twice. And these are just the insults, not the demonstrable falsehoods.”

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/trump-biggest-fatal-gaffes-mistakes-offensive-214289

There was a good breakdown of the same phenomenon doofus is posting about on the most recent Reply All podcast. Trump is (probably? hopefully?) unwittingly spreading some pretty nasty stuff with the weird Pepe memes and such.

Love that podcast.

yeah like i said, i shouldn't engage

it's kinda like how there's only one candidate/campaign tonight who is actively requesting to not be fact checked

some people just aren't interested in anything but entertainment and trolling

One campaign asking for help from the refs. No confidence before it even begins.

Or the camp blaming the refs for being a card-carrying member of one team, when in fact they are a card-carrying member of the team you play for?

yeah like i said, i shouldn't engage

it's kinda like how there's only one candidate/campaign tonight who is actively requesting to not be fact checked

some people just aren't interested in anything but entertainment and trolling

One campaign asking for help from the refs. No confidence before it even begins.

This about sums up the whole election in one exchange.

Person A: "Let's have fact checking during the debate"
Person B: "Oh you need help from the refs? I guess you can't win on your own."
Person A: "I want to make sure that the things we say are given their proper due based on the evidence to support it"
Person B: "CHEATER"

If anything, the most recent case in Charlotte proves that even more needs to be done.

To prevent black cops from shooting armed suspects who won't disarm? Thanks, racism.

This is the "Well, we were wrong on the facts, but look at the awareness raised.." victory speech, right?

To prevent black cops from shooting armed suspects who won't disarm? Thanks, racism.

This is the "Well, we were wrong on the facts, but look at the awareness raised.." victory speech, right?

I'm not caught up - its been proven he was armed?

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I said from the beginning that it was likely he had a gun, and am completely/fully aware it was a black police officer shooting a black person. The gun was found there...so I can't say much to that, and assume it was in fact the victim's gun.

I am speaking more on police brutality and the use of excessive force more than anything.

Not to mention that, despite body cams, multiple cops, a video from the wife, and eyewitnesses, we have yet to come to a conclusion on what happened here, and there is a man dead at the hands of police officers.

That indicates to me that even more needs to be done to take on the accountability of police officer's in these situations. Clearly the verdict lack of accountability on the victim's part was reached by the police officer already. Time for accountability to work the other way too.

Back