• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GGO-walk down memory lane

deac85

Reaction score
I lived in G'boro from 85-87 and was a Jaycee. The first year, I had to clean-up trash at the GGO. The second year, I was on #6 (I think), and manned a spectator crossing area. The third year, I worked in the tee box tent on number 1 and handed the caddies their jackets when they arrived. i think that job is called the "caddy master" or something like that. I remember there was snow on the ground that year.
Any other GGO volunteers want to walk down memory lane and give their favorite moments?
Watching the tourney this year brought back some great memories.

I lived in G'boro from 85-87 and was a Jaycee. The first year, I had to clean-up trash at the GGO. The second year, I was on #6 (I think), and manned a spectator crossing area. The third year, I worked in the tee box tent on number 1 and handed the caddies their jackets when they arrived. i think that job is called the "caddy master" or something like that. I remember there was snow on the ground that year.
Any other GGO volunteers want to walk down memory lane and give their favorite moments?
Watching the tourney this year brought back some great memories.

I got to carry the score sign for Tom Putzer, Bobby Clampett, and Tim Norris in 1988 ( I think). Loved watching Putzer's swing, one of the sweetest swings ever if only he could putt. It was really cool to be that close to the 3 professionals and observe how they went about their business.

I remember going with Ross Smith who is now passed back around 91 or 92. He was really anxious to follow some guy around I was not familiar with. He kept reassuring me that this guy was going to be a big player on the tour. I'm glad I agreed. Got to see Ernie Els for the first time. Of course, Ross was right.

Sandy Lyle won during one of the years I worked. He may have won a major later that year, but he kinda vanished shortly thereafter. I remember Davis Love, and followed him for a few holes. TC Chen was a big name back then too. Ed Green was a lunatic, but he was at the top of the leaderboards during those years.
The only negative thing was Jim Thorpe yelling at somebody for coughing or something like that. He acted like a real douche-bag.
One year, a buddy and I followed George Archer for a whole round. he must have been 50+ and was struggling. I think there were about 5 fans following his group. We were pulling for him, and afterwards he said "thanks guys".

My first professional golf tournament was the GGO. I went expressly to see Arnie. I had been there only a short time and while crossing a fairway I almost bumped into the man face-to-face. I don't think I was supposed to be there!!!

When I was a little kid, I was a huge Lee Trevino fan. Got to meet him in 76 or 77 at the GGO and a week later, one of the sponsor friends of my dad dropped off one of his signature hats that he gave me. Still have it upstairs in the attic.

I remeber being there in around 1991, it was reall muddy,, me and buddy were watching Brad Faxon around a green, he had a terrible lie in nothing but mud. He tried a flop shot and his wedge got caught up in the mud and ball only went about 5 feet. My buddy whispered( too loud ) , you would have done better than that using a seven, hitting a little bump @ run. Faxon heard him , turned around and told us to fuck off.

Also saw Greg Norman hit a big drive around a dog leg to the left in a practice round, it hooked a little too much and rolled closed to a little creek, some guy kicked the ball on into the water. Norman came around looking for the ball, and the guy pointed at he creek, Norman was like, I thought for sure that would have stopped before getting wet. I did not say a thing, just watched. Thoght it was a jerky thing for the guy to do, but since it was a practice round, I just watched.

I remember going in the early 90s, I think, and seeing John Daly leave rather quickly (perhaps after missing the cut) driving a BIG Mercedes with Colorado plates. He had to kind of meander around specators crossing the neighborhood road, IIRC. He had a can of Bud in his hand.

When I was 11 back in '67 went to the GGO pro-am with a member's son. He was kind of a cocky kid so he felt like he had the run of the place. He said let's go hang out by the clubhouse and see if any big name players come out. We go over there and the guard was off to the side talking to someone. I'm a little nervous about being in an area where we weren't supposed to be when the locker room door opens and out steps Arnold Palmer. I'm standing no more than three steps from the door when he opens it, sees me and give me a big wink. Arnie looked like a god to me. So tanned, neatly dressed in an Arnold Palmer golf shirt with the umbrella and outstanding looking light blue sweater with the collar turned up. I'm not gay or anything, not that there's anything wrong with that, but that was one strikingly handsome and charismatic man. What a thrill having the great Arnie walk right past me after getting the wink.

I was in MBA school in the mid-80's and saw him a few times on campus. He is one of the giants in all of sports. He'd be on my Mt. Rushmore of sports stars; people who truly transcended sports (Ali, etc.).

Back