• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Golf Clubs…1996 v. 2014

CHDeac

Reaction score
I took a long time off my from playing golf, 10+ years. My son (11, thus the reason I took so long off) went to golf camp this summer and LOVED it so we have played a few times recently. I kind of want to start playing again.

My clubs are old Calloway x-12 irons with Memphis 10 shafts. I also have even older Calloway 3 wood/7 wood (what was I thinking?) and a Steelhead Plus 10 degree driver...

My question? How much better are clubs these days? Im guessing the lift in irons (I love mine) is small and Id be better off with a new driver and a few hybrids. Im afraid Ill swing some irons and just fall in love with them.

I have a 35 YO putter (Ping Anser) and sand wedge (Hogan Special) so Im pretty old school. I do need to get rid of the metal spikes though…

Shit, I sound like BKF….

Appreciate any insights before I drop way too much time or money...

Technology has changed things considerably. Especially drivers and IMHO putters. Go to golf galaxy and get fit. Try out lots of club and shaft combinations. If you'd like, then buy the clubs with the specs you want online. Enjoy

I still use Ping Eye 2's from like 1995 but have upgraded other clubs. For me, I think you should be more concerned with the feel of the irons and putter but woods (and rescue clubs) have made a huge difference regardless.

Best news is you can get three year old technology on EBAY for next to nothing, and it will still be a HUGE upgrade from 10 year old clubs.

The new oversized drivers are so much more fun and forgiving off the tee than the drivers of 15 years ago.

Technology has changed things considerably. Especially drivers and IMHO putters. Go to golf galaxy and get fit. Try out lots of club and shaft combinations. If you'd like, then buy the clubs with the specs you want online. Enjoy
How has technology changed in putters?
(not trolling, genuinely interested)

Mallets are a popular style now versus the more traditional blade. Weighting of the putter head is more common as well as some other minor tweeks. I don't see a major change in putters besides some technological advances and aesthetics. But if you like your putter, there is no need to get a new putter now.

As others have said, woods and hybrids are where you'll see the most difference in club technology. Then irons. Putters and wedges seem to be the least affected.

I would tier my purchases to hedge whether your kid or you still has the patience for golf in 6 months. Keep in mind that in another month or two it will be too cold and wet to play and he may have moved on to something different by March.

Step 1: Definitely get a new driver. That is a given.

Step 2: I would buy two fairway woods. Either a 3 wood and a hybrid or two hybrids like a 5H and a 3H. As mentioned you can buy these used for under $100 each probably.

Step 3: New irons. Only if you really commit.

Yeah, the X-12's and the Ping Eye 2's have probably held up longer than any other irons out there.

The biggest difference you'd notice with more modern stuff is the irons will be longer and have less loft. Sure, your 6 iron will go 15 yards further but you might have to add a wedge.

Could grab a G25 driver on the cheap now that the G30 is out...

The perimeter head weighting these days really limits the club torquing during off center hits which keeps speed and direction more consistent. Plus the face insets have created a softer feel. I got a Scotty Cameron Futura X last season and have been impressed with how it's helped my confidence, especially on short putts.

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks putter technology has changed a lot :)

I have always been a pretty lousy putter and still use an Answer 2. Maybe I should look into this new technology.

Best news is you can get three year old technology on EBAY for next to nothing, and it will still be a HUGE upgrade from 10 year old clubs.

Got my 2011 model driver off of EBay in 2013 and was very happy, got it for about 2/3 retail and at that time the model hadn't changed.

Don't step on the course without a new driver, 3 wood and a hybrid.

Everything else can stay.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. My oldest son is getting seriously into golf but I haven't played regularly in fifteen years. I am letting him have at it with my old clubs figuring I might spring for a new set for myself within a year or two. From what I'm reading everything is getting a lot cheaper because nobody's playing golf anymore.

If you're going to Golf Galaxy better do it soon as I understand they're going under.

Since Ping drivers seem so popular here ( ouse one as well), I would go ahead and get new Irons. You can get G15 or G20 irons on ebay for around $200-$250. I still putt wight he same putter I got as a gift for my 16th birthday, putters are all feel especially comparing the weight of the head, and the softness of the face, other than that it is a flat stick that requires a smooth stroke and good judgment in speed, so I do not think the technology has helped much here. The large grips on putters are becoming very popular so may want to try one of those.

My fiance got me a Cobra Bio Cell(just the regular, sorry DCDeac!) for my birthday. I'm pretty excited about it. Just need to upgrade my putter now.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. My oldest son is getting seriously into golf but I haven't played regularly in fifteen years. I am letting him have at it with my old clubs figuring I might spring for a new set for myself within a year or two. From what I'm reading everything is getting a lot cheaper because nobody's playing golf anymore.

If you're going to Golf Galaxy better do it soon as I understand they're going under.

It's cheap because the Internet has made it super easy to exchange used clubs

Back