• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Golf, Just to Break the Gloom and Doom

ericstratton

Reaction score
Bill and Webb are competing in the PGA event, this weekend, Kyle Riefers (who finished T3 last week) and Len Mattiace are in the field for the Web.com event, and Gary Hallberg, Jay Haas, Curtis Strange, Scott Hoch and Billy Andrade are all in the Senior Tour Toshiba Classic. So we have nine Deacs to root for. We've got that going for us, anyway.

Wish Mattiace could get back to what he had before 2003. Fucking Mike Weir and that damned playoff at Augusta. Could've had another Deac with a Green Jacket but instead we got a short, left-handed, Canadian.

Another MC looming for Webb. Hope he gets his game back on track for Augusta.

Webb might as well get a start on learning how to putt without that god-forsaken broom stick stuck in his belly. His putting from 4-10 feet has been crap for months and months, might as well change now and get ready for 2016. Hell, I reckon he'll become more consistent from 4-6' while maybe making fewer birdies from 15-25' as that is the only thing he seems good at is medium distance putting with that thing.

Webb might as well get a start on learning how to putt without that god-forsaken broom stick stuck in his belly. His putting from 4-10 feet has been crap for months and months, might as well change now and get ready for 2016. Hell, I reckon he'll become more consistent from 4-6' while maybe making fewer birdies from 15-25' as that is the only thing he seems good at is medium distance putting with that thing.

Webb is currently 3rd on tour in the strokes gained-putting stat and 31st of 177 players in putting from inside 10'. Doesn't quite support your claim.

I disagree completely. He's still got 2 full seasons to play and maximize his potential before the change. Strike while the iron is hot. Earn as much money as possible, and get onto another Ryder Cup and Pres Cup team. That will take the sting out of any post-change slump.

Webb was the best putter I've ever seen before he switched. He only switched to get from great to greater. He'll be fine with a short putter, and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts using it occasionally in advance of 2016.

Stats, damned stats! I can pull some stats too to support my claim, but it probably is a bit nit-picky. Perhaps he'll put it together again soon like he did last fall with his great start, but since the WMO, he has been pretty mediocre to bad, especially lately.

And for the stat inclined, Webb is the following:

2nd in putts between 10-15'
8th in putts between 20-25' BUT
83rd in putts between 15-20' AND more importantly...
71st in putts under 5' and 56th in 3-putt avoidance

Apparently his putting hasn't been as bad as I thought, not even from 4-8' as he's 25th in that stat. It's a bit worrisome that he went 80-78 to fall so far out of contention early at Doral. And now a missed cut on top of that.

With his driving issues from last year finally worked out, he seems to be on the verge of more great things, but his last three tourneys have been a bit of a surprise. Maybe he'll peak at the right time, the second weekend in April.

Guess I'm hypercritical of his putting technique because he is so gifted around the greens and I'd like to see him rely more on feel than the silly broomstick aid.

Make hay while the sun shines--no way should he change until he has to. I don't know what his issue is right now, but I seriously doubt it's the flat stick.

Back