• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good business expressions

Empowerment.

lol--from on high, we want you to feel empowered to do things the way we tell you to.

“Drinking from the fire hose” is a great super obnoxious one by people new to a role/organization.

i'm partial to "busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest." it's not really business speak but it's fun

A wise person once told me “There is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution.” In the world of software engineering, I have found that to be correct.

I'm ashamed to admit I used "we're shoveling shit against the tide" earlier this week. But it had been about 10 years since I had heard it, so I felt it was time to bring it back.

I hear “click in” / double click / some iteration of that a looot.

Also:
  • “I’d like to plus / plus 1 that”
  • “North Star”
  • “stack hands”

One thing that drove me from a job I loved for 25 years was having to endure the consulting groups coming in and telling you what you largely knew, all wrapped in a c-suite beautiful deck with a business case that was full of BS assumptions. By far the worst offender of this was McKinsey. They wouldn't show up at our door for less then $3M per engagement. Total C Suite CYA. There were times when you could give these folks tactical work (build me this tool) and they could deliver but the strategy sessions were maddening. The last deck they did for me had 134 versions....V134.ppt. Shoot me.

I hear “click in” / double click / some iteration of that a looot.

Also:
  • “I’d like to plus / plus 1 that”
  • “North Star”
  • “stack hands”
We would say "t shirt size that for me" when scoping projects. Like with American obesity, we started with S, M and L and now use M, L, XL, XXL. We also would say "I agree with CHDeac but said differently...." and then hear the person completely say the opposite....There is the infamous "and" too, I always hate when people did that.

Sorry. It’s been a few years but BCG wasn’t as bad as Accenture for me.
OW and Mckinsey are the worst double speak highly paid do nothings I have ever worked with. Smart people with excellent power point skills whose sole putpose is to provide CYA decks for senior leaders....

Back