• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Great story about the dying of playground basketball

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11216972/playground-basketball-dying

In essence, it's another victim of AAU and the sneaker companies and the salaries of pro ball. It used to be a way to learn how to be tough and a lot of fun to watch and play.

The HS leagues in Philly were insane. The two main ones were Sonny Hill (Baker) and Narberth. It was really difficult to play in both, but some did.

AAU was an afterthought. If you were good enough to play in one of those leagues, you didn't need AAU.

I bet you have a story of the time you dunked on earl manigault

rj, you ever check out the drew league in LA?

I never to watch the Drew. I did go to the NBA Summer League at Long Beach State. I played sometimes at Laguna Beach, but not with Magic or the other pros who would show up there.

What has always been weird is the our court had lots of good players, but it was rare we had any over 6'6. Just a couple of miles away at 38th Street in Newport, every team seemed to have 2-3 guys who were 6'8+.

It used to be funny to see Sean Rooks show up with his head above the windshield of his sports car.

former USC guard JT Terrell was quoted in the article.. name sounds familiar..

Demise of playground ball directly related to demise if the Collins courts.

Back