• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greatest Comebacks In Sport?

Swaggy P will always have a special place in my heart

But the answer is

Most memorable and cherished comeback I've witnessed was THE GAME, Auburn/Wake, in 1979.

Wake, 7-1, getting thrashed at the half 38-20. We were losing much worse than the score even indicated. Deacs win 42-38!!

This...........
I'm still hoarse from yelling so much in the second half.
What a game!

November 10, 2001. If you happened to be in Chapel Hill, you happened to be with me at my favorite memory of the hundreds of Wake games I've attended.

The best I ever saw live was the NY Jets down 31-7 with 17 minutes left on MNF in 2000, and winning in overtime. The greatest ever... I'd vote for the '04 Red Sox.

I was there as well. Incredible comeback for sure.

Also, as much as we hate to admit it, what the Eurodouches did in last years Ryder Cup was pretty unbelievable

Was just going to mention that Bills-Oilers game. I believe that was the season they had taken out instant replay, and the whole Bills comeback should have never happened because Lofton stepped out of bounds on the first long TD pass. Fucking Bills.

I agree about the comeback never happening but I believe it was Beebe not Lofton that stepped out.

Mets-BoSox Game 6 1986 World Series

Royals-Cards Game 6 1985 World Series

Both deserve mentioning, though both are a mix of chokes and big plays. In the case of the Royals, they were greatly assisted by a blown call.

I saw a few clips of the Oracle boat. Is that even sailing? The damn thing looked like it was levitating the whole time.

The Bills were down by more than 30 in playoff game and came back to win. Crazy.

Yep, down 35-3 in the third quarter. Plus, Jim Kelly, Cornelius Bennett, and Kirby Jackson missed the game, Thurman Thomas got hurt (before the comeback), and Bruce Smith was hobbled. People literally had heart attacks at that game.

UNC in 2001 was fantastic as well. Happy to have attended that one close-up.

The Frank Riech special '84 vs Bernie Kosar. Did the same thing in Buffalo vs the Oilers in the playoffs in '92.

I could be wrong but doesn't Reich hold records in college and the NFL for those comebacks? If so, that's a pretty impressive feat.

Duke vs Maryland in the game where they scored a bunch of points at the end by hitting ridiculous shots, then fouling the shit out of Maryland's ball handlers without getting called for a foul (aka Coach K "defense").

Sox over Yanks in the ALCS.

Comeback at Kenan.

Brookline 1999.

Back