• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greek System in general

How long before its wholly extinct?

I give Wake 10-20 years, maybe the entire system another 50?

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/05/07/amherst-bans-membership-underground-fraternities#sthash.gVXGEeid.dpbs

There's good and bad in this move, even I admit it. Deep down I feel its horrible but I understand this is the way this country's going.

good_old_days_276x300_xlarge.jpeg

"Remember that time we put you in that dumpster?"

"I got out."

I'm excited for the humility and poise that TTAB is sure to bring to this thread.

I'm equally excited for the judgmental holier than thou posts the 98lb geedkling club will bring.

Srsly tho, there is no way that public schools could stop students from associating and assembling. Would never fly. Frats fo life!

It sure was fun blackballing buttheads though.

Insurance companies will kill fraternities, just like they have killed many summer camps.

Frats will always exist in some form. They will just go underground and won't be on campus, whether they own their house or not. The current corporate high exposure "we're a social club masquerading as a public service club" form may go extinct, but all you need is a pledge manual and the initiation ritual to preserve the fraternity in the manner that matters. Ever seen Skull and Bones' national headquarters, magazine and service projects? Me neither.

I never gave a crap about my frat on a national level, I just wanted to get drunk and laid at Wake and hang out with good company. It is interesting to see the big impressive houses at other schools, but the dudes in there are not really my "fraternity brothers"...I don't think I would consider the guys at Wake now to be fraternity brothers....the only frat bros anyone ever had are the ones that were in the frat at the same school and at the same time they were.

Frats will always exist in some form. They will just go underground and won't be on campus, whether they own their house or not. The current corporate high exposure "we're a social club masquerading as a public service club" form may go extinct, but all you need is a pledge manual and the initiation ritual to preserve the fraternity in the manner that matters. Ever seen Skull and Bones' national headquarters, magazine and service projects? Me neither.

I never gave a crap about my frat on a national level, I just wanted to get drunk and laid at Wake and hang out with good company. It is interesting to see the big impressive houses at other schools, but the dudes in there are not really my "fraternity brothers"...I don't think I would consider the guys at Wake now to be fraternity brothers....the only frat bros anyone ever had are the ones that were in the frat at the same school and at the same time they were.

This is your answer to getting laid, re-join a frat.

White frats/sororities don't have nearly the inter-school brotherhood that black frats/sororities do.

Back