• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Groves Stadium Naming Rights

some genius tagging

I still have no clue what "wrigley field of fans" means.

All of our fans are old? I mean, I guess that's true.

Disagree on "foohills' ketchup sucks" though. No truer words have ever been spoken

Wellman was a sell-out in the football stadium naming rights game early. In 2010 there were only 14 schools that had a corporate name on their stadium and five of those shared a stadium with a NFL team.

How about Hard Rock International paying $250 million for 18 yrs naming rights for the stadium where the Dolphins and the U will play. Hard Rock Stadium will be known as 'The Rock'.
Pretty cool.

When do we next play at Miami?

Wellman was a sell-out in the football stadium naming rights game early. In 2010 there were only 14 schools that had a corporate name on their stadium and five of those shared a stadium with a NFL team.

I know this is probably a minority opinion, but this is one thing Wellman did well. It's not like we have this grandiose football tradition that should be preserved - with all apologies to Groves - and the sports winds are blowing towards as much corporate sponsorship as possible. There was an opportunity to inject some cash into the program and it was taken - can't really fault the AD for that.

How about Hard Rock International paying $250 million for 18 yrs naming rights for the stadium where the Dolphins and the U will play. Hard Rock Stadium will be known as 'The Rock'.
Pretty cool.

When do we next play at Miami?

So shared named with one of the best Nic Cage movies ever made? One of the most iconic wrestlers and current top billing movie star, and a nickname for one of the most famous prisons in the world, the uniqueness is amazing.

I know this is probably a minority opinion, but this is one thing Wellman did well. It's not like we have this grandiose football tradition that should be preserved - with all apologies to Groves - and the sports winds are blowing towards as much corporate sponsorship as possible. There was an opportunity to inject some cash into the program and it was taken - can't really fault the AD for that.

I think all but a handful of strict traditionalists are with you on this.

So shared named with one of the best Nic Cage movies ever made? One of the most iconic wrestlers and current top billing movie star, and a nickname for one of the most famous prisons in the world, the uniqueness is amazing.

Another connection is the Rock actually played football for the U before he became a wrestler and a movie star.

I still have no clue what "wrigley field of fans" means.

All of our fans are old? I mean, I guess that's true.

Disagree on "foohills' ketchup sucks" though. No truer words have ever been spoken

I didn't provide the tag but the "Wrigley field" phrase is attributed to the chief ass-clown we call our AD. He claimed, prior to renovations, that Groves would become the "Wrigley Field" of football venues.

I didn't provide the tag but the "Wrigley field" phrase is attributed to the chief ass-clown we call our AD. He claimed, prior to renovations, that Groves would become the "Wrigley Field" of football venues.

I thought maybe it was something like this. The "of fans" part still doesn't really make sense, but at least the tag makes a little more sense now

I thought maybe it was something like this. The "of fans" part still doesn't really make sense, but at least the tag makes a little more sense now

I assume it has something disparaging to do with comparing Wake fans to Cubs fans. I don't know enough about Cubs fans to appreciate it though.

Naming the stadium that U of Miami plays its games in The Rock after the prison is perfect

Not getting the commonality with our fan base.

At least on the second part

BB&T re-upping is the best outcome here. A vote of confidence. They are headquartered in The Dash. If not, then get one if the big credit unions in town on board. A large credit union in SC has rights to the SC baseball park.

Beyond that, our best known local brands other than cigs are are Texas Pete and Krispy Kreme.

Come to Krispy Creme stadium and get 'glazed'

Come to Texas Pete stadium and get 'sauced'

#KnowYourProgram

Back