• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hats off to Tony B and Wake Indoor National Tennis Champs

socaldeac

Reaction score
Tony has done a hell of a job. LOWF just rolled through the PAC TEN. We beat UW, USC, Stanford, and UCLA. Wow! Impressive. Wellman has been the strategist behind building Wake Tennis into a Power. Facilities, Pro Tourny, hiring Tony. Time to Kiss the Ring!

wellman.04.md_.jpg

An incredibly impressive run for the Deacs! Wake just beat the three most storied programs in college tennis to win the championship. USC has 21 national championships, Stanford 17, and UCLA 16. Wow!

Congrats to the team. Seems to have been very under the radar. Thanks for keeping us posted on these 'other' sport teams.

Tony has done a hell of a job. LOWF just rolled through the PAC TEN. We beat UW, USC, Stanford, and UCLA. Wow! Impressive. Wellman has been the strategist behind building Wake Tennis into a Power. Facilities, Pro Tourny, hiring Tony. Time to Kiss the Ring!

Don Flow might have something to say to that.

You can play tennis indoors?

So proud of our Deacs, but as a casual tennis observer I am curious a to why there is a separate indoor and outdoor champion. Are the playing conditions and strokes required vastly different?

So proud of our Deacs, but as a casual tennis observer I am curious a to why there is a separate indoor and outdoor champion. Are the playing conditions and strokes required vastly different?

ITA Indoor National Championship is not technically an NCAA championship - but a national championship nonetheless.
The NCAA tournament is outdoors.

I’m not some tennis expert but from talking to a few people, it seems indoor tennis can vary based on where you play (court surface). Home court advantage seems to be a real thing when playing indoors. Outdoors is different from indoors for the reasons you’d probably expect, plus a couple extra I’m unsure of. Someone else can probably answer the question more in depth than I can.

ITA Indoor National Championship is not technically an NCAA championship - but a national championship nonetheless.
The NCAA tournament is outdoors.

I’m not some tennis expert but from talking to a few people, it seems indoor tennis can vary based on where you play (court surface). Home court advantage seems to be a real thing when playing indoors. Outdoors is different from indoors for the reasons you’d probably expect, plus a couple extra I’m unsure of. Someone else can probably answer the question more in depth than I can.

The two main differences in indoor tennis are the court speed (it’s much faster) and the lack of the elements (wind, heat). Indoor vs outdoor tennis is kind of like indoor vs outdoor track, which has two NCAA seasons.

The national indoor championship that the Deacs just won, as the name implies, is a national championship. It starts with 64 teams and advances like a standard tournament. I would argue that it’s even harder to win than a standard tournament because it requires excellence across two years. Our record last year qualified us for the tournament this year and earned us hosting rights for the first two rounds this year.

Quite a few nailbiting moments, but the Deacs came through in the clutch. Hell yes, Go Deacs!

A genuine question, and am curious what the results may be (someone feel free to post a poll, if necessary) - If given the choice, would you rather have an indoor tennis national championship or a Wednesday victory in the ACC tournament?

I imagine a National Championship raises the stature (lasting historical impact + marketing fodder) of MSD much more than a second-round basketball tournament win, so I'd choose the former.

Last edited:
I imagine a National Championship raises the stature of MSD much more than a second-round basketball tournament win, so I'd choose the former.

Disagree. Second round win means there's a decent chance you play in a nationally televised game in primetime. Tennis win won't even garner a mention on the 4am Sportscenter.

I imagine a National Championship raises the stature (lasting historical impact + marketing fodder) of MSD much more than a second-round basketball tournament win, so I'd choose the former.

Agreed. The tennis championship creates a lasting impact.

Why don't they count the indoor championship as an NCAA title with Director's cup points, etc. Do they count both indoor and outdoor track seasons the same?

Back