• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hawaii Family Vaca

I think 11 days. And we found a non stop between the two later in the day.

I think 11 days. And we found a non stop between the two later in the day.

That's how long we split between those islands when we took our kids (then 15 and 17). A couple of more days would be preferable, but 11 will work.

I'd invest in a couple of books for planning your trip - "Maui Revealed" and "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook". Both are excellent resources

Last edited:
I lived in Maui for a while, working on a forest bird conservation project, trying to save the Po'ouli from extinction (sadly we failed). I loved it there but it can be pretty touristy. Haleakala is absolutely beautiful at sunrise and sunset. There are some hiking trails (sliding sands trail) that leave from the summit and going down into the crater, they are super cool but it is really high elevation so you have to be in good shape. Another activity up on the mountain would be to visit the Nature Conservancy's Waikamoi preserve. It is probably the only place you'll be able to see native Hawaiian forest birds and relatively pristine native rain forests. The ride to Hana is great, but car sickness is a serious threat. If you make it out to Hana, visit Waianapanapa State Park. As I recall Milagros in Paia had the best fish tacos on the island. My only memory of Kauai was hiking the Ka'anapali coast. That was intense but amazingly beautiful...maybe a bit tough with kids.

Back