• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Help me understand women's softball

Skydog Deac

Reaction score
Ok, yes I will get heat for watching it, but I'm passively watching the UCLA-Auburn softball game while I compute tonight. I don't understand women's softball. A few innings ago, the UCLA pitcher, who I guess also pitched last night (?!), was getting rocked, so they relieved her. The new pitcher got rocked, and I looked up a few minutes later and the old pitcher was back in the game, and she's still there. This whole thing is weird, no pitching mound, no grass on the infield, players with things in their hair, make-up on, players running bunting, pitchers pitching back to back and coming into games they have already left, players not wearing hats, it's just a weird f-ing sport to me, that I somehow find intriguing for it's weirdness. Just had to tell someone, wife and cats don't care. Yes, 90+ games until football begins.

I'm guessing this post makes you the board's leading expert on NCAA Softball.

I do know that there's not a pitch count or inning limit in HS softball so I'm sure it's the same in college. The pitching motion for softball is supposed to be a natural motion that doesn't harm the arm the same way baseball does. That's about all I've got.

All I know is that I feel like women's softball players tend to either be super hot or super manly with very little in between.

All I know is that I feel like women's softball players tend to either be super hot or super manly with very little in between.

Pretty much goes with the split between little slap hitters and big chicks who can go yard.

I don't like all of the bunting and fake bunting. I don't like how the batters are running down to first while they're hitting the ball. I don't like the constant celebrating. I don't like how some of the players where visors and others don't wear anything at all. I don't like the bows in their hair.
But I do watch it for some reason.

I don't like all of the bunting and fake bunting. I don't like how the batters are running down to first while they're hitting the ball. I don't like the constant celebrating. I don't like how some of the players where visors and others don't wear anything at all. I don't like the bows in their hair.
But I do watch it for some reason.

Because it's college sports, and a lot more watchable than women's hoops.

I feel like the straight players go out of their way to let everyone know that they are straight, hence the bows and ribbons.

I'm pretty sure either category can kick my ass (I used to say "if they could catch it" but that's beyond question now)

I still think the game moves faster than MLB even with the celebrations and bunting. This FLA/AUB game is fantastic.

I know the father of a player who plays high level D-1 softball and I laugh at him how television portrays it as this celebratory, everybody having fun, sportsmanship atmosphere...

According to him, there is serious shit talking and grudges just like any other sport male or female.

This "making the pizza" move by the Michigan team is almost as annoying as James Harden's little whatever the hell gesture he makes after scoring in a 20 point losses.

Bass fishin' and women's softball: the only two sports I know where you can eat your opponent. (RIP, OTF)

LOL. I always thought Bob Knight would have loved Old Trench Fighter a lot more than he would have loved Bob Knight Fan. By the way, BKF, if you're reading this, I stand by what I told you last month about how loving Bob Knight and hating Ted Nugent is like you wanting to bang Heather Locklear but not Pamela Anderson. :)

Back