• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HELP Needed for an awesome cause.

YoungBuck95

Reaction score
A couple I know is trying to make a film about an 18 year old homeless boy. It's truly an awesome story. The film is called 4Gosh (pronounced For Josh). They need $25,000 by September 21. They currently sit at $13,042. Any help would be appreciated. If you cannot donate financially, tell your friends about it. Post it on Facebook, twitter, etc. To donate, go to the kickstarter link below. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4gosh/4gosh-movie-feature-film

I'm all for great causes...I try to donate to charities as much as possible....but why should we donate money to people trying to make a film about him instead of donating the money to him directly?

It seems odd that someone is saying "this guy is homeless and desperately works to save money to afford an apartment and a decent life, so give us money so we can video him while he does it."

Am I the only one that sees the disconnect there?

They're hoping that by making a film they can raise enough awareness for proceeds and donations to exceed the initial investment. Seems like a normal business model to me.

Seems like exploiting a young man to me.

Just seems odd to me when the donation page says that my money will be going to feed people walking around filming the life of a man without a home or job.

I'm all for great causes...I try to donate to charities as much as possible....but why should we donate money to people trying to make a film about him instead of donating the money to him directly?

It seems odd that someone is saying "this guy is homeless and desperately works to save money to afford an apartment and a decent life, so give us money so we can video him while he does it."

Am I the only one that sees the disconnect there?

When you donate to a local homeless shelter, where do you think your money goes? A portion of it is going to go the salaries of employees and the costs of the buildings. All of this is necessary to keep the shelter running.

The nature with non-profits is that not all of the money is going to go straight to those in need. Some of it has to be used for salaries, building expenses, marketing, etc. Now with some non-profits you can earmark you money.

When you donate to a local homeless shelter, where do you think your money goes? A portion of it is going to go the salaries of employees and the costs of the buildings. All of this is necessary to keep the shelter running.

The nature with non-profits is that not all of the money is going to go straight to those in need. Some of it has to be used for salaries, building expenses, marketing, etc. Now with some non-profits you can earmark you money.

That's all well and good....and my point is probably being missed....and definitely didn't mean for "exploit" to come off the way it did....

But glancing at that page I see nothing about helping Gosh....nothing about making a donation to a local homeless shelter....nothing about anything other than paying for film crews and food....I would just think there would be a better way to raise money for this individual or homeless persons around the country....at the very least say what someone said earlier "We hope to raise enough money to document the life of Gosh to enlighten others to the hardships that homeless individuals must endure to live a better life and hope this can help you see that they need our help".

Hopefully they get to make the film and it can help Gosh and others....

Reactions: ITK

But at least some of it goes to helping the actual people in need. In the case mentioned in this thread, none of it goes to directly helping Josh. Many charities have less than a 10% admin budget, meaning less than 10% of the donation goes to paying that overhead or salaries and the remainder goes into the actual charity.

Stuff like this is what bugs me:

"Pledge $10,000 or more

Get an Executive Producer Credit plus an iPod touch used by Gosh in the film signed by the cast and crew. Plus all previous rewards!"

Do documentaries have "casts"?....is this a real story with real people or people portraying other individuals?

I got hit up for something at the same site a week ago and was wondering, If I'm pledging like 25% of the funds am I getting 25% of the profits if this thing makes some money? It seemed like the answer was no. But I could have the dude who was Claire's dad on Heroes and a couple of wake grads do a screening at my house for a thousand bucks.

"hey deaconslim2.0, is this glass half full or half empty?"

"who cares, eventually we will all die and the glass will break and no one will remember us"

Back