• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Here's what this season's 16-team playoff would look like:

stonz

Reaction score
Auto bid (conference winners)
At-large

1) Notre Dame
16) Tulsa

8) LSU
9) FSU

4) Oregon
13) Utah St

5) Kansas St
12) Louisville

3) Florida
14) Wisconsin

6) Stanford
11) Boise St

7) Georgia
10) NIU

2) Alabama
15) Arkansas St

Would love to hear the BCS lovers deny how awesome this would be.

Auto bid (conference winners)
At-large

1) Notre Dame
16) Tulsa

8) LSU
9) FSU

4) Oregon
13) Utah St

5) Kansas St
12) Louisville

3) Florida
14) Wisconsin

6) Stanford
11) Boise St

7) Georgia
10) NIU

2) Alabama
15) Arkansas St

Would love to hear the BCS lovers deny how awesome this would be.

ND would definitely lose to Tulsa.

1eaps9.gif

This would be an awesome playoff. Like Cumby said though, I don't think there are many (re: any) BCS lovers left out there other than corporate sponsors.

We could get to see Alabama/UGA again, UGA/FL again, Oregon/KSU, Oregon/Alabama, Stanford/Oregon, hell even FSU/LSU first round would be sweet.

Seems like that bracket would shake out to an all-SEC final. Not saying that's a bad thing...

Any playoff is better than having this year's participants Alabama and Notre Dame with 5 and 6 week breaks between their last game and the championship.

8 teams, 3 rounds. That is only two extra games for teams that advance to the final (as they would be playing a bowl anyway).

Seems like we're moving toward an 8 team playoff. Very very slowly, but still moving.

There was no great outrage about adding a conference championship game and there was only a whimper about adding a 12th regular season game. Alabama will play 14 games this year. If we were still at 11 games and no conference championship games a 3 game playoff would result in the national champ playing 14 games.

8 teams, 3 rounds. That is only two extra games for teams that advance to the final (as they would be playing a bowl anyway).

Yeah but the players would miss class!!! They'd be out of school too long!! It's too great a toll!!!

And whatever else bullshit they came up with the derail a playoff. Like Bama players even know where their classes are. It works at FCS, make it work at this level.

Yall need to get the latest SI and see how fucked up the playoff selection process is for college football.

We're gonna hate the 4 team thing coming up, it sounds like a cluster fuck of epic proportions. I think the 16 team is more feasible since a team ranked outside of the 10 ten shouldn't really bitch about losing a chance to play for a NC.

Yall need to get the latest SI and see how fucked up the playoff selection process is for college football.

We're gonna hate the 4 team thing coming up, it sounds like a cluster fuck of epic proportions. I think the 16 team is more feasible since a team ranked outside of the 10 ten shouldn't really bitch about losing a chance to play for a NC.

16-team playoff for college football seems like too much

This playoff still makes no sense. You could argue pretty easily that Texas A&M or SCAR could win in a playoff, but there is no way in hell 10-16 seeds (well maybe Louisville) would even have a chance.

And there's no way a 13 seed VCU could make the final 4, right?

I think pretty much every game would be fairly competitive. I'm sure there would be a couple blowouts here and there, but who knows where they'd be (see: Louisville / Florida). I'd expect 10+ good games out of 15 in the above bracket.

The reason I'm strongly in favor of 16 is because it allows for an auto-bid for each conference. Would dramatically increase the national relevancy of each conference title game, which would benefit college football as a whole, imo. Think about how much more exciting the Sun Belt title game would be if it was for a spot in a playoff instead of a spot in the Godaddy.com bowl. In this way, every school in the FBS has a shot to win the title. That's how sports should work. If you don't feel that the Sun Belt winner deserves a shot at a championship, then you should advocate for the biggest ___ conferences to split away from the Sun Belt type conferences.

The main argument against a 16 team playoff seems to be about protecting the importance of the regular season, which is pretty funny to me. Ex. "Alabama-Georgia was a national semifinal game!1!!!!1!1 A playoff would destroy that, since both teams would make the playoff". First of all, that SECCG would still be incredibly important for seeding (pretty huge gap between NIU and Arkansas St, for example). I promise, Bama and UGA would still have taken the SECCG extremely seriously. Additionally, a 16 team playoff would guarantee two national semifinal games. Nothing is lost. The semifinal(s) would just happen later in the year, and we would be nearly guaranteed two good ones (instead of a de facto title game play-in between Notre Dame and a Wittek-led, playing-for-pride USC team).

A lot of those first round matchup a look absolutely terrible. Don't really see a reason to go higher than 8.

A lot of those first round matchup a look absolutely terrible. Don't really see a reason to go higher than 8.

To include all the conferences so all the teams in the FBS have a shot in making the tournament and winning the championship. The purpose of replacing the BCS with a playoff is to better determine a champion not to make college football more entertaining.

Back