• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hinton

Ridiculous. What is it? Advanced physics. He knows the playbook. Or he is dumb as a rock.

What playbook? (rhetorical) It isn't like we run complex plays or complex formations or anything like that. I've never seen a more vanilla offense. Hell, freaking Lobo was more creative than what we have now

we go 1-3 I thnk

I'd say 2-2. Saturday's game will be very uncomfortable, but we squeeze it. UVA has had some serious issues in the kicking game and that could be the difference. Boston College is going to be just as disgusting as last years game, but we end the season on a high note.

Ridiculous. What is it? Advanced physics. He knows the playbook. Or he is dumb as a rock.

Well considering Clawson said last game he didn't put Kearns in because he didn't trust him calling audibles based on the defensive look, I'd say it's not too ridiculous an assumption. But I think it has more to do with getting rid of the read option. Maybe Clawson doesn't think we have enough talent on offense to run an offense without read option, not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is/was the easiest NC State style schedule we have had in...ever. Plus we have Marquel Lee and a defense that we cannot assume will be as good next year or the following year.

We were staring at 8-4. Without Hinton, we are now praying for a 6th win. Yay.

Well considering Clawson said last game he didn't put Kearns in because he didn't trust him calling audibles based on the defensive look, I'd say it's not too ridiculous an assumption. But I think it has more to do with getting rid of the read option. Maybe Clawson doesn't think we have enough talent on offense to run an offense without read option, not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree that the fact that Kearns can't run with the ball plays a big role.

Agree with those who would like to see Hinton redshirted.

Hard to believe that Wolford can finish the season uninjured. I can't see any QB surviving back to back games against Louisville and Clemson. Hopefully, DC is just blowing smoke to confuse UVA. If, indeed, Hinton is not recovered, we are going to need some back up to pull a Skinner and come in and amaze everyone.

Will never know if a "Skinner" is on the team if Kearns never plays meaningful minutes. Neither Grobe nor Skinner would have realized their success if the 1 and 2 had not been injured such that the 3 had to be played. How do coaches miss these things? Prior to playing first game of 2006 season Skinner should have been a 1 from my view of their scrimmages that year. He had the better foot work, arm, accuracy, execution and poise. Mauck was flashy but not very steady. All that changed for him at Cinncy when standing behind a stout OL. Could Kearns have that IT factor? Never know if not played.

In a delicious twist of irony, I believe Skinner was not thought highly of by Grobe and staff before he won the job because he was thought to be too small. I saw him standing next to Wolford once and they are virtually the same size (well at least the parts that I could see)

Will never know if a "Skinner" is on the team if Kearns never plays meaningful minutes. Neither Grobe nor Skinner would have realized their success if the 1 and 2 had not been injured such that the 3 had to be played. How do coaches miss these things? Prior to playing first game of 2006 season Skinner should have been a 1 from my view of their scrimmages that year. He had the better foot work, arm, accuracy, execution and poise. Mauck was flashy but not very steady. All that changed for him at Cinncy when standing behind a stout OL. Could Kearns have that IT factor? Never know if not played.

Some players play well under pressure and in game situations, others excel in practice. We will never know what some of these kids can do unless they get to play. We know more than we want to know about John.

Some players play well under pressure and in game situations, others excel in practice. We will never know what some of these kids can do unless they get to play. We know more than we want to know about John.

Yep. Here's a baseball analogy. If one of your starting pitchers is giving up 6+ ER several starts in a row, you don't just keep trotting him out there. You give a young pitcher/prospect a shot in the rotation. Maybe he turns out to be your next ace. If he's not ready yet, then fine, but at least you tried something different.

If he's not ready, it isn't "fine"--it's the end of our bowl hopes. Wolford sucked last week but it most definitely can get worse. It is funny how those with no skin in the game love to roll the dice. Other people's money--that's the gambling analogy.

If the coaching staff thought Kearns was the better option then they would put him in there. I'm down on Wolford too, but I assume the staff is playing the best QB they think has a chance to win the game based on what they are asking him to do.

I don't get all the back and forth and hand wringing. Pretty simple in that the Deacs are a decent team with Hinton. Deacs are less good with Wolford, but still a decent chance to go to a bowl game and maybe 7 wins. Injuries happen. Hard to lose your most electric player on O and have the same win projection as you would have earlier in the year. Call it bad luck, call it whatever. Deacs projection gets revised with Wolford - and if we win 7 games, then you know what, good on us for losing a star player and still gutting out a 7 win season. Gotta aim high.

If he's not ready, it isn't "fine"--it's the end of our bowl hopes. Wolford sucked last week but it most definitely can get worse. It is funny how those with no skin in the game love to roll the dice. Other people's money--that's the gambling analogy.

You think giving Kearns 2-3 series in the first half vs UVA would end our bowl hopes? That's crazy. I have no idea how the team feels about the issue, and assume the are pining for Hinton as well, but it was very obvious to see the frustration after several awful Wolford passes coming from Cortez, Tabari, and others.

Perhaps you're just very risk averse and the type that just sits at the blackjack table for 3 hours betting the $5 minimum (to use your gambling analogy).

I am fairly certain one spring (or August?) our QB depth chart was this:

1 - Mauk (Cincinnatti)
2 - Hodges (UCF)
3 - Zac Taylor (Nebraska) and
4 - Skinner

If the coaching staff thought Kearns was the better option then they would put him in there. I'm down on Wolford too, but I assume the staff is playing the best QB they think has a chance to win the game based on what they are asking him to do.

The problem is that the staff is the same staff that thought that Wolford and Hinton were pretty much equal-- well we saw how off that was. The staff is the same staff that has failed to get Kearns or anyone else ready to play. What is the plan if Wolford goes down with an injury? Either the staff recruited bad QB prospects or they have failed in the task to get these guys ready to play. Either scenario sucks

The coaching staff started the year thinking Wolford was better than Hinton, so obviously assuming that the coach always knows best is wrong. Sometime coaches really like certain things about a player that clouds their judgement.

Danny Manning thought that playing 4 wings and 1 center was a good strategy with very few reliable shooters and strong interior play.

I think a lot of coaches come into the season with a game plan but are too close to the action to see clearly what their best options are. It may seem counter intuitive but sometimes a neutral observer from the outside has better perspective.

The problem is that the staff is the same staff that thought that Wolford and Hinton were pretty much equal-- well we saw how off that was. The staff is the same staff that has failed to get Kearns or anyone else ready to play. What is the plan if Wolford goes down with an injury? Either the staff recruited bad QB prospects or they have failed in the task to get these guys ready to play. Either scenario sucks

The same staff that named Hinton the starter over Wolford this season?

The staff clearly thinks Wolford is better than Kearns, and he got second string reps while Hinton was starter. There are very, very few schools in the country that run the third QB with the first team in reps, much less has a third string quarterback who is ready to play if both starters go down.

How the hell can you say that the staff recruited some "really bad QB prospects" or say they they failed to get guys ready to play when at the beginning of the season most here thought Hinton and Wolford were roughly equal? I would say a lot of the fan base thought we had two reliable quarterbacks if they had time to throw/a legitimate running game.

Back