• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homecoming!!!

Go

Deacsbravesdawgsetc
Reaction score
Alright Deacon fans, get on your FEET!

Hope to see you peeps around this weekend, looking forward to watching the Deacs play a tough Terp team. :thumbsup:

Yeah, excited to come into town and do some tailgating. Got like four or five tailgates to hit up, should be a busy day. I'm also glad I'll be there for what will likely be one of the last matchups ever between Wake and Maryland in football.

Alright Deacon fans, get on your FEET!

Hope to see you peeps around this weekend, looking forward to watching the Deacs play a tough Terp team. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to it if we play like we did against State, but I think we'll have to play even better than we did against State to beat the Terps. CJ Brown is on track to be back for the Terps and they've got 2 big play receivers. We need to play tough opportunistic defense and possess the ball and score points like we did against the Pack. Got to figure we've got to win this one to have any bowl hopes, no matter how slim.

I've been to some weird Wake-Maryland games over the years. There was the 1981 game when Schofield passed for a (then) NCAA record of 500+ yards and we still lost. There was a Mike Elkins (?)-Boomer Easison shoot-out a few years later, and we lost. Dooley's first team in 1987 started out 5-0 and then lost to Maryland in the most boring football game I've ever been to. In 1993, John Leach rushed for a record 329 yards and we lost. On the plus side are the 2006 Atlantic Division championship clinch win and the 2007 comeback.

I've been to some weird Wake-Maryland games over the years. There was the 1981 game when Schofield passed for a (then) NCAA record of 500+ yards and we still lost. There was a Mike Elkins (?)-Boomer Easison shoot-out a few years later, and we lost. Dooley's first team in 1987 started out 5-0 and then lost to Maryland in the most boring football game I've ever been to. In 1993, John Leach rushed for a record 329 yards and we lost. On the plus side are the 2006 Atlantic Division championship clinch win and the 2007 comeback.

Schofield had the record for 1 week. Jim McMahon passed him the next saturday. You're right, this has always been a weird game. Keep LOBO out of the press box!

Is that game Caldwell went for it on 4th and goal late in the game and we didn't get it, and a field goal would've put us up by more than a field goal?

Schofield had the record for 1 week. Jim McMahon passed him the next saturday. You're right, this has always been a weird game. Keep LOBO out of the press box!

Schofield could sling the biscuit, but played on bad teams.

Is that game Caldwell went for it on 4th and goal late in the game and we didn't get it, and a field goal would've put us up by more than a field goal?

fg would have put us up more than a td. Caldwell goes for it and then Maryland marches down the field 99 yards to beat us with no time left.

images

YES! One of the worst textbook coaching decisions. EVER. A chipshot gield goal from the 2 yard line would have put us by 9 and won the game.

fg would have put us up more than a td. Caldwell goes for it and then Maryland marches down the field 99 yards to beat us with no time left.

Oh yeah, it was more than TD it would've put us up. That was an inexcusable coaching mistake and somehow Caldwell survived 6 more seasons here.

WF had already missed an PAT in that game, and WF's starting kicker was out. MD's rush defense was the worst in the NCAA dead last. WF's John Leach had rushed for over 300 yards. There was a reasonable basis to eschew the FG and think that WF could gain a yard on 4th and goal from the 1.

WF had already missed an PAT in that game, and WF's starting kicker was out. MD's rush defense was the worst in the NCAA dead last. WF's John Leach had rushed for over 300 yards. There was a reasonable basis to eschew the FG and think that WF could gain a yard on 4th and goal from the 1.

I disagree, if you miss the FG they still have to go the length of the field, if you make the game is over. The risk of getting blocked would be pretty low, especially on that short of a FG. I mean I don't disagree that we should've been able to get a yard, but it was the wrong call, period.

The 1993 game, after John Leach didn't make it on 4th down, Maryland took over on their 1, and went 99 yards for the winning touchdown. That should have told us something about Jim Caldwell's defense.
Ah! The 2007 comeback! The "I Stayed" game!

In Athlon's mid season report, we finish 3-9. FUCK THEM!!

Back