• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homeless Rock Thrower Gunned Down by Cops

FuckmouthedRube

Reaction score
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2025688052_shootingpascoxml.html

Some homeless guy in Pasco, WA was throwing rocks at cars and cops. Apparently they tried to tase him, but he ran away. There's a disturbing video of the shooting embedded in the article. I get that being a cop is an extremely difficult and thankless job, but three cops chase him down, he turns, and he's shot multiple times from five feet away. The guy was clearly disturbed, but he should have stood trial for his actions or gotten treatment, not executed. Is it really acceptable that three cops couldn't subdue an unarmed average sized guy and decided to kill him instead?

I guess here is where I need to say that not all cops are racist and/or pieces of shit.

I guess here is where I need to say that not all cops are racist and/or pieces of shit.

Here's some advice, Pasco: if you don't want another Ferguson, then let your employees know that executing mentally ill people in busy intersection is unacceptable.

Oh and maybe fire this asshole next time:

The lawsuit, filed in 2012, named Flanagan and another Pasco officer and alleged they were inadequately trained in the use of force and how to respond to street confrontations.

It claimed that Flanagan and the other officer stopped a 30-year-old woman, Maria Davila-Marquez, while responding to a complaint of a disturbance outside a home.

Her attorney said that although she did not match a description of a teenage suspect, the officers stopped Davila-Marquez and then arrested her when she asked for an interpreter because she spoke little English.

“The only commonality was that my client was a woman and a Latina,” Davila-Marquez’s Yakima lawyer, Vito de la Cruz, told The Seattle Times on Thursday.

De la Cruz said the officers “ridiculed her,” then handcuffed her and bent her over the hood of a patrol car, pressing her cheek onto the scorching hot metal. Davila-Marquez suffered second-degree burns on her face as a result and is scarred, he said.

The officers held her, he said, until a witness to the earlier disturbance came by and told the officers they had the wrong woman. Although Davila-Marquez was released, the officers cited her for hindering police. Those charges were dismissed, de la Cruz said.

Neither officer was disciplined, he said.

“I was horrified when I saw that video,” de la Cruz said of Tuesday’s shooting. “But I have to say when I heard that Flanagan was involved, I was not surprised.”

Amazing how many of these cops who kill innocent people have used excessive force in the past.

Body cameras can't get here soon enough. You gotta wonder how often shootings like this happened before cell phones with cameras where widely used?

Body cameras can't get here soon enough. You gotta wonder how often shootings like this happened before cell phones with cameras where widely used?

Often.

And what will body cameras do? These officers shot this guy close to busy intersection and in broad daylight. It's not like the grand jury won't have plenty of witnesses to choose from when they decide not to indict these officers. Likewise, if you shoot a guy over 10 times for throwing rocks, something tells me that the social control function offered by a bodycam isn't going to do anything.

Don't blame the cops on this one. Haven't you guys read about David and Goliath?

[deac]if he didn't want to die he shouldn't have been a mentally ill homeless person throwing rocks [/89]

Cops don't kill people, guns don't kill people, UNIONS kill people.

Until the homeless and mentally ill take care of the problems in their own communities, these things will continue to happen. This is not the fault of the cops.

Personal responsibility is most certainly the rallying cry. So if a barrier exists to valuing personal responsibility, then the barrier should be addressed as well.

Our lack of mental health treatment is the great American failing of the 21st Century so far...

Anyone who doesn't believe police unions bear significant responsibility in police overuse of force is kidding themselves. They are the ones who are protecting the 20% of cops that inflict 80% of the excess force.* Not going to start solving this problem until the good cops stop protecting the bad cops.

*These percentages are merely illustrative, not intended to be precise.

Oh I completely agree. Public sector unions are an interesting breed altogether. Just think it's interesting to see the paradigm shift from "personal responsibility" when it's individuals not in a position of power and then when it's a sacred cow like cops then all of a sudden it's a systemic issue where unions are to blame.

Need lectro to weigh in on whether dead guy was heading down wrong path. If so, justifiable homicide.

Back