• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Good will Kentucky Be Next Season??

If you didn't want an answer, you shouldn't have asked the question.

I momentarily forgot to whom I was posing the question. Your vehement dislike of college basketball in its present form has been discussed ad naseum on here, and I shouldn't have expected anything more substantive than what you gave in response.

I like that this thread which is about how Kentucky will be amazing next year since so many of their elite players from this year are staying illustrates everything that is wrong in college basketball because of those one a done players.

Since Calipari’s arrival at Kentucky in 2009, the Wildcats have posted a 152-37 record, won the 2012 national championship, appeared in the 2014 title game, advanced to three Final Fours and four Elite Eights. UK has claimed two regular season Southeastern Conference titles and two SEC Tournament crowns.

Seventeen players have been drafted by the NBA with two more projected in the upcoming draft in June. UK’s first-ever No. 1 overall draft choices have come during Calipari’s tenure. John Wall was selected first overall in 2010 and Anthony Davis followed in 2012. The duo was also Kentucky’s first national player of the year honorees. Furthermore, both Wall and Davis became NBA All-Stars in 2014.

Kentucky has had 10 players graduate in the last five years – including every player who has exhausted his athletic eligibility. Patrick Patterson and Jarrod Polson both earned their degrees in three years. UK’s players have amassed a collective 3.0 grade-point average or higher in each of the last five semesters.

UK has hauled in the top-rated recruiting class in four of five seasons under Calipari’s tutelage. This year’s four-player class is rated No. 2 overall by most recruiting services and will accompany eight scholarship players from the 2013-14 national runner-up squad.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/050714aaa.html

I like that this thread which is about how Kentucky will be amazing next year since so many of their elite players from this year are staying illustrates everything that is wrong in college basketball because of those one a done players.

This. Hatas gonna hate.

I am not sure that Calipari or his staff needs to do anything illegal as far as recruiting goes. At this point the burger boys are standing in line to play for Kentucky.

As far as the point of this thread, Kentucky should be great, they will be probably rotate 9-10 players and will be fun to watch next year.

this is what is truly wrong with college basketball. kids forgoing the draft to come back to school...

I'll admit that part of my hatred with Calipari is jealousy. I would love to see us recruit like he can. The other part is that I am convinced that he has agents such as WWW who do his dirty work for him on the recruiting trail and create an illegal competitive disadvantage for the rest of us. I also believe shoe companies and AAU ties play heavily into these kids decisions, which is just ridiculous.

God, I actually agree with Bobknightfan on this.

I don't think the NBA is ruining college basketball. But I think they should either let kids go straight to the NBA or force them to play two years of college ball (or go overseas). That would force NBA factories like Kentucky to actually have the infrastructure to develop student-athletes. With the one and done rule, they basically have to front load one semester of easy classes and then just flat out forget about class. And that puts the basektball factories at a huge advantage.

Straight to the NBA or two years. Or just two years or go to Europe or USBL. For my money, that would reveal once again what a sham program Calipari runs. When his players were forced to stay in school at least two years, he has run two programs into major violations.

I wouldn't be surprised if by mid-season this year, the two year rule is in place. At the very latest, I see it being implemented for the HS Class of 2016.

God, I actually agree with Bobknightfan on this.

I don't think the NBA is ruining college basketball. But I think they should either let kids go straight to the NBA or force them to play two years of college ball (or go overseas). That would force NBA factories like Kentucky to actually have the infrastructure to develop student-athletes. With the one and done rule, they basically have to front load one semester of easy classes and then just flat out forget about class. And that puts the basektball factories at a huge advantage.

Straight to the NBA or two years. Or just two years or go to Europe or USBL. For my money, that would reveal once again what a sham program Calipari runs. When his players were forced to stay in school at least two years, he has run two programs into major violations.

Calipari has stated several times that he's a proponent of the two year rule. “If it goes to two years, and I have kids for two years, I’ll be able to be here the rest of my career and make it a long one. If it stays at one, that’s where it gets dicey.”

Nice interview on his 'two year' thoughts.

http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2013/05/john_calipari_thinks_a_two-yea.html

I think he's blowing it out his ass. He wants a point guard for two years. He hates the effort it takes to groom a frosh point guard only to lose him after one year. That is the extent of his desire to have players for two years.

I think he's blowing it out his ass. He wants a point guard for two years. He hates the effort it takes to groom a frosh point guard only to lose him after one year. That is the extent of his desire to have players for two years.

I am sure you are right. I am sure he has no desire to have a player like Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins or Julius Randle for two seasons. He only wants a point guard for two years.

I am sure you are right. I am sure he has no desire to have a player like Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins or Julius Randle for two seasons. He only wants a point guard for two years.

I am sure he wanted to keep Anthony Davis forever but he recruited over Randle before he even declared, didn't he?

I am sure he wanted to keep Anthony Davis forever but he recruited over Randle before he even declared, didn't he?

He recruited Anthony Davis's replacement before he ever declared as well. That's why Calipari says that the 2 year rule will extend his career, because right now he is recruiting 3-5 new starters every single year.

He recruited Anthony Davis's replacement before he ever declared as well. That's why Calipari says that the 2 year rule will extend his career, because right now he is recruiting 3-5 new starters every single year.

He may be right. I admittedly don't have much skin in the game. My experience with Calipari is minimal, but I find him a snake oil salesman who can flat out coach super talented kids. My point is that the way the whole system is set up right now, Kentucky can have nearly 5 or 6 players roll into January games knowing they are going into the NBA draft and they can pretty much stop going to class and concentrate on playing basketball. Those kids have 2 or 14 months of college experience when that happens. That means the infrastructure to support a real student-athlete system can focus on the 4 kids who underachieve on the court or were recruited for their ability to be quality practice players who go to class. And I believe Kentucky has recruited a few of those kids to "pad" their numbers.

That puts a lot of schools at a huge disadvantage on the assumption that they don't have any or maybe 1 player who rolls into January with that type of basketball only focus. And don't tell me about juniors and seniors playing that way. Those kids have been staying eligible for 36 + months, not one semester.

That is all I really feel strongly about. I don't like Calipari that much. He left UMass and Memphis in very bad shape (UMass) and a little bit of bad shape/hot water (Memphis). I don't buy that he was clueless to the goings on, particularly at UMass. He did arguably leave both programs better than when he arrived though - Memphis for sure. And I think it took the UMass several years to implode the program.

I also think Anthony Davis is a great kid and he did pick Calipari so Calipari obviously has something going for him.

But then let's put your money where your mouth is. I think Kentucky will not be nearly as dominant with a rule change. Because it will create more level playing field

Assuming, to jaybone's point, he can keep them eligible for two years.

Assuming, to jaybone's point, he can keep them eligible for two years.

APR takes those one & dones spring semesters into account. Are those kids taking mickey mouse classes their final semester? Most likely, but they are finishing their classes and keeping Kentucky out of trouble. Cal's going on his sixth year now, if that shoe was going to drop it would have happened by now.

Just like calling Kentucky a "college basketball team" is a dumb thing to do. Calling UK a "semi-pro NBA-in-waiting" team would be a much more accurate description of reality. :)

Do you think that same of Coach K and Duke? He will have 9 burger boys on his roster this season(same as UK) and the way he is currently recruiting he's setting himself up to have one or two early entrants every season.

Back