• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many more embarrassing losses ...

deac87

Reaction score
Before we can get rid of Manning? It should be done tonight but Wellman has no balls. In 50+ years of watching Wake bball, I have seen some bad losses but NOTHING comes close to this. Ga Southern, Liberty, and now Drake. Are you kidding? This is year 4...what a fucking joke! Get rid of him now.

0 conference wins is a distinct possibility. In fact, 0 wins may be a possibility. We are 0-3 against 3 "sure" wins.

If they keep piling up we may be able to cut ties. Hopefully.

Nothing gets quite as embarrassing as going from the 2005 season and the embarrassing 2nd round loss to WVa in the NCAA’s to the next season where we finished dead-assed last in the ACC in 12th place. How soon you all forget that Skip had the supposed “best” recruiting class of all time rising up as seniors, Big E, J Gray, Strickland & Chris Ellis, and they went from one of the best in the country to dead ass last in the ACC! Following year, 2007, we finished tie 11th. How soon you guys forget that Skip could not coach in tournament play! But boy, he could score a lot of points I guess.......
Miss those back to back titles of GDO with defense being played and 74 points a game still being averaged!

Nothing gets quite as embarrassing as going from the 2005 season and the embarrassing 2nd round loss to WVa in the NCAA’s to the next season where we finished dead-assed last in the ACC in 12th place. How soon you all forget that Skip had the supposed “best” recruiting class of all time rising up as seniors, Big E, J Gray, Strickland & Chris Ellis, and they went from one of the best in the country to dead ass last in the ACC! Following year, 2007, we finished tie 11th. How soon you guys forget that Skip could not coach in tournament play! But boy, he could score a lot of points I guess.......
Miss those back to back titles of GDO with defense being played and 74 points a game still being averaged!

The 05-06 team went 11-2 OOC and went to the NIT. One of those losses was to eventual NC Florida. Just a moronic comparison all around.

Last edited:
Reff,

My mind's a little hazy, but didn't we lose CP3 to the NBA really late and had to start freshman SG Harvey Hale at PG? Sure Prosser teams never played good defense and underperformed in the postseason a lot, but CP3 leaving after his sophomore year had nothing to do with the following season?

I'm a big fan of Odom, but Prosser never had 4 years of Duncan & Childress, 3 years with them playing on the same teams. There's a big difference there. Tell me how great Odom did in the postseason without them. WE WON THE NIT!!!

The last time Wake opened the season with three losses was 1967-68. That team finished 5-21. My freshman year. They were picked by the sportswriters to finish fourth in the ACC. Shows what they knew. 1955-56 opened with three losses but the Deacs finished 19-9, losing in the ACC tourney finals. Gotta go back to 1949-50 to open the season with four losses and those Deacs finished the season 14-16. The all time record for losses to start the season was 14 by the 1944-45 team. Of course they had a legitimate excuse. World War II.

I'm just spending all of my days dreading Mark Smith coming to town and ravaging us now

Reff,

My mind's a little hazy, but didn't we lose CP3 to the NBA really late and had to start freshman SG Harvey Hale at PG? Sure Prosser teams never played good defense and underperformed in the postseason a lot, but CP3 leaving after his sophomore year had nothing to do with the following season?

I'm a big fan of Odom, but Prosser never had 4 years of Duncan & Childress, 3 years with them playing on the same teams. There's a big difference there. Tell me how great Odom did in the postseason without them. WE WON THE NIT!!!

To be accurate, Duncan and Childress played together for 2 years.

While I am not a fan of these losses, would we not lose some or all of our 2018 recruits if we fired him now?

I know we shouldn't make personnel decisions based off recruits, but this class seems to be special.

Do we really want to roll the dice on losing recruits and putting ourselves even further behind going forward? I suppose making the decision now would be better than months from now.

To be accurate, Duncan and Childress played together for 2 years.

Yes, hit the wrong # there, good catch. Just pointing out the lack of overlap with our HOFers with Prosser. The fact that they're probably our best HOFers overall and we had them together at the same time is just more disappointing.

Basic rule, have a huge defensive stopper, Duncan or Howard, you don't need to coach a lot of defense. Odom focused on defense but his strategy also involved limiting possessions, which was definitely a mistake in Duncan's sr year. What big in the ACC could run and hang with Duncan for 40 min? Just let their big settle in for a grind it out half court offense.

And before anyone jumps to Odom's defense, Just remember the Kansas game and what happened after the UNC game. As much as Prosser and maybe Manning cant' figure out defense, Odom never had a clue on what to do with offensive talent. More touches for Sr. year Duncan is good, slow half court offense is bad.

Basic rule, have a huge defensive stopper, Duncan or Howard, you don't need to coach a lot of defense. Odom focused on defense but his strategy also involved limiting possessions, which was definitely a mistake in Duncan's sr year. What big in the ACC could run and hang with Duncan for 40 min? Just let their big settle in for a grind it out half court offense.

And before anyone jumps to Odom's defense, Just remember the Kansas game and what happened after the UNC game. As much as Prosser and maybe Manning cant' figure out defense, Odom never had a clue on what to do with offensive talent. More touches for Sr. year Duncan is good, slow half court offense is bad.

On point regarding Odom and offense. I enjoyed the defensive ability of his teams but too many of his line ups were lacking an ability to score.

I did quite enjoy his back to back ACC Championships though

Back