• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Many Wins for 2016 Wake Football?

How Many Wins for 2016 Wake Football?

• Total voters
Based off of this, what is our realistic ceiling in future years?

2016: 6 wins
2017: 6 wins *We're not going to beat App in Boone. It's not happening. Accept that now so it will hurt less later.
2018: 8 wins?
2019: 9 wins?

This is predicated on the team/program improving year over year. The 2019 seniors have yet to play a game yet.

With a break or two, that team could go undefeated.

(If you just want to dream, why stop at 9?)

ETA: There is a better chance that Clawson won't even be here in 2019 than that the team will win 9 games that year.

Correct. After he wins 9+ in 2017 he'll get another job offer

With a break or two, that team could go undefeated.

(If you just want to dream, why stop at 9?)

ETA: There is a better chance that Clawson won't even be here in 2019 than that the team will win 9 games that year.

at Rice
UNC
Elon
Utah State

Duke
State
Florida State
Louisville

at Syracuse
at Virginia Tech
at Clemson
at BC

A "good" Wake Forest team can certainly beat Rice, UNC, Elon, Utah State, Duke, NC State, Louisville, Cuse, and BC.

I can't believe we're playing in Boone. That is amazingly bush league.

As long as the team is competitive in every game, I'll be satisfied with four or more wins. Five is possible. Six or more would mean we caught a lot of breaks.

I am pleased enough with the high-energy, disciplined, thoroughly anti-Wellman vibe Clawson brings to the program that I can live with another down season or two before there's real progress.

Isn't Miami playing there too?

That was due to somebody cancelling on Miami last minute (at least IIRC, it was scheduled last fall, pretty damn late) and they didn't have (m)any alternatives. We're doing it on purpose

Last edited:
A "good" Wake Forest team can certainly beat Rice, UNC, Elon, Utah State, Duke, NC State, Louisville, Cuse, and BC.

Well, WF lost to 7 of those 9 teams the last time it played them, defeating only Elon & BC. I don't know what makes you think that all of a sudden we are now going to beat all of them.

Well, WF lost to 7 of those 9 teams the last time it played them, defeating only Elon & BC. I don't know what makes you think that all of a sudden we are now going to beat all of them.

Would you consider the last WF team that played those schools good? I wouldn't. We were very competitive in most of those games with bad to very bad teams.

BKF, I know you're incredibly pessimistic, but you can't honestly tell me that Rice, Utah State, Duke, NC State, Cuse, and BC are all games we can't win in today's day and age if we have a better-than-okay-squad. That said, I know "better-than-okay" is subjective to say.

I think we will be better in 2019. Do I think we will win 9 games then? No idea. If we're getting better - there's a chance given where those other programs are. I wouldn't bet on it but it's mere speculation.

Would you consider the last WF team that played those schools good? I wouldn't. We were very competitive in most of those games with bad to very bad teams.

BKF, I know you're incredibly pessimistic, but you can't honestly tell me that Rice, Utah State, Duke, NC State, Cuse, and BC are all games we can't win in today's day and age if we have a better-than-okay-squad. That said, I know "better-than-okay" is subjective to say.

I think we will be better in 2019. Do I think we will win 9 games then? No idea. If we're getting better - there's a chance given where those other programs are. I wouldn't bet on it but it's mere speculation.

Those other teams can get better, too....and they are already better than us. Can we win those games? Sure, we could win them....but there is a better chance that we will lose most of them.

We need to see what Clawson can do this year before we worry about 2019. So far in two years he has won two ACC games....and didn't score a touchdown in either one of those, which were 0-0 & 3-0 at the end of regulation.

Thanks for clarifying that for Strick. I'm sure he had no idea what the scores to those games were.

Well, considering that he is talking about a WF football team winning 9 games makes that at least plausible. We have a coach who is beginning his 3rd year and so far he has never won a single ACC game when his team scored a touchdown....and we are talking about winning 9 games?

Well, considering that he is talking about a WF football team winning 9 games makes that at least plausible. We have a coach who is beginning his 3rd year and so far he has never won a single ACC game when his team scored a touchdown....and we are talking about winning 9 games?

Yeah, we definitely haven't won 9 games in the past 10 years or so have we?

Definitely not possible!!!!

I have no idea what we will look like in 2019, and neither do you, or Strick. Hell by then we may not even be playing football. It's not unreasonable to think with a good Wake team we could compete and win most games against that schedule, which is what Strick's point was. Yours was, past indicates future performance and you disagree. Cool!

Glad I could help mediate and save everybody else like 25 posts from senile BKF. Good day sir!

Yeah, we definitely haven't won 9 games in the past 10 years or so have we?

Definitely not possible!!!!

I have no idea what we will look like in 2019, and neither do you, or Strick. Hell by then we may not even be playing football. It's not unreasonable to think with a good Wake team we could compete and win most games against that schedule, which is what Strick's point was. Yours was, past indicates future performance and you disagree. Cool!

Glad I could help mediate and save everybody else like 25 posts from senile BKF. Good day sir!

does this relate to your post in the schedule thread about shutting down the program if we don't make a bowl this year?

BKF, you have a point. Yes, this is a big year for Clawson. I've bought into the hype that he can "win at Wake." (what does win at wake mean? That's for another discussion)

I base that on his demeanor, his plan, his attitude, and his past success albeit it hasn't been at a place where he's had less talent than his peers. I have yet to see anything resemble a good team at Wake yet, but, for the reasons I've listed, I'm optimistic it will come. Hopefully in a year where our schedule sets us up for some success.

With the schedules we have today and in soon-to-be-future years, the 2009 (5 wins), 2012 (5 wins), and 2013 (4 wins) all would have been all been in a bowl IMO.

I love Clawson's attitude and energy too, but in reality one must look at the product on the field. There is just no evidence that we'll be appreciably better than last year. A little improvement is likely... but that only gets us to four or five wins. In this era of Wake Forest ineptitude I don't see any reason for optimism. None. BC and Syracuse will also likely show improvement. Hope is not a good reason to "predict" success.

Back