• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How often do you travel internationally?

In the last 2 years, how many times have you traveled out of the country?

• I don't own a passport/it's expired

Votes: 4 5.9%

Votes: 10 14.7%

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • 2-5

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • 5-10

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • 10+

Votes: 7 10.3%

• Total voters

DistrictDeacon

Reaction score
In the last 2 years, how many times have you used your passport?

My last trip abroad was 2013, I believe. My wife and I traveled domestically in 2014 and 15 (had a baby this year), moved in 16, had another baby in '17, and are looking to another year of domestic travel in '18.

We've chosen not to travel abroad with young kids since we don't have a ton of help for something like that - my parents and in-laws are still a few years from retiring and we don't want to be bound to a hotel room abroad based on the kids schedule. Not to mention the added cost and challenge of taking them someplace they won't remember. Hopefully in a couple of years my parents or my in-laws will be comfortable with extended visits with the kids so my wife and I can travel. Probably not looking to take the kids abroad until they're 8 or 9.

i think we've vacationed abroad about once per year, all in Europe, thanks to wife having work obligations and at least half the airfare covered. we did a big family trip to Italy last year with our then 18 month old; we'll probably not do big trips for a while now, though

Similar, last intl. trip was 2014 which was two babies ago.

several trips to ole mejee and one coming up to Berlin and Croatia

It feels like cheating to include Canada. I assume that counts though.

i think we've vacationed abroad about once per year, all in Europe, thanks to wife having work obligations and at least half the airfare covered. we did a big family trip to Italy last year with our then 18 month old; we'll probably not do big trips for a while now, though

that's how we've done with me. I usually go to Europe at least once a year for work, and my wife has come a few times with me and we've done a weekend somewhere over there. It's nice to have the company pay for my airfare into and out of Europe, and I then only have to pay for my flight to wherever I'm spending the weekend (and flights are way cheaper over there), wife's airfare to Europe and the hotels for the weekend.

last just dedicated trip to Europe we took was in 2015, which was the summer before I started working at my company.

2006: Kenya
2014: Brazil, Ireland, England
2015: Mexico
2017: Ireland

2015: France, Switzerland
2016: Mexico
2017: Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands/Caribbean, Chile
2018: Mexico

Hit Canada twice in 2015 and had done a decent amount of traveling before then. Haven't been anywhere (international) since.
Looking to go abroad this fall; most likely Europe.

In the last two years, I've been to Nicaragua twice, Costa Rica twice and the UK once. I am headed to the UK again this summer and back to Nicaragua in August.

In the last 25 months:

Scotland
Amsterdam
India
China
Japan
Dominican Republic
Panama
Mexico

2015: Ireland, France
2016: Canada, Finland, Netherlands
2017: Mexico, Finland (x2), Denmark, Czech Republic, Estonia
2018: Chile, Finland in October, probably more in South America

I don't remember exactly by year, but in the last five:

Southeast Asia:
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Malaysia
Myanmar
Philippines
Singapore
Thailand
Vietnam

Other Asia(ish):
Australia
China
Maldives
Taiwan
UAE

Europe:
Norway
Spain
Switzerland
UK

And Argentina last week

Last edited:
We usually alternate our vacations between domestic and international, although we're running out of domestic places in which we could spend more than a few days. We've done the Disney. We've done the PCH drive from LA to Seattle. We'll probably do a national park tour at some point, as well as an Alaska jaunt. Hawaii is always an option, but I'd rather just go to a smaller, less expensive Caribbean island every time.

Back