• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HVAC question

elquintodeac

Reaction score
I moved into a new apartment a couple weeks ago. Really only been living there since last week and hadn't turned on the air until recently. The air is stale/dirty and giving me a headache/cough. I replaced the air filter which looked like it had been in there for years and am running an air purifier but it hasn't really made a difference. Its a house split into 3 apts with 3 separate units.

Anyone have an idea what's going on and how hard/easy it is to fix? Trying to gauge whether I'm about to get screwed here, landlord has been pretty cool so far but this seems like an expensive fix. Which sucks because I like the joint and there was no indication of this when I looked at it (power was off then).

(Tag away)

It sounds like there may be some funk in the actual unit itself, that most likely wont be remedied until its cleaned out. Did the unit/apt sit unused for quite some time? I have no idea how much that would cost though. You could always try to turn the heat on full blast and burn the funk out, but I doubt that'll fix it completely.

Where did you replace a filter? At the unit? There are sometime also filters at each of the air returns, which may also need to be changed. The duct work may also need to be vacuumed out. There are companies that do this. Its not cheap.

you may need to clean the air ducts. that is not a huge cost and it should be done every 4-5 years...may not have ever been done for a rental. look into one of the vents and check it out.

I have no idea about previous use. I replaced the filter inside the apt, there's only 1. Dunno about filters in the unit.

you may need to clean the air ducts. that is not a huge cost and it should be done every 4-5 years...may not have ever been done for a rental. look into one of the vents and check it out.

there was some dust and stuff that i saw when i replaced the inside filter. just vacuum it out there and from the other air vents?

As bad as this sounds, its possible a rodent could have fallen into one of the vents or intake and died. My uncle had that happen one time during a renovation and it stunk to high hell.

yeah, talk to your landlord. it shouldn't cost too much...you probably only have a handful of ducts. you can reach some of the periphery dust and debris but that may not be good enough. all of the dust you found is being sent back out to the room and if the house was vacant for a little while or the system has not been used much it could have some mold.

there are usually all sorts of coupons for this type of cleaning on line, hell just about everywhere!

Along these same lines, what do y'all think about the types of filters you use? I need to changes the ones on the returns in my house and it seems like the range in terms of price and perceived quality vary wildly. I've read reviews that the super duper hypo allergenic ones aren't worth it and that a mid-range is all you need. I don't have the same issues as the OP so I'm not overly concerned, but I've never bought a/c filters before so I'm not sure what to look for.

yeah, i was just seeing what all was involved. i'll ask my landlord when he calls me back. thanks guys.

I use the 3m Filtrete filters. When my unit was put in, the HVAC guy said the same thing you mentioned above. Get a mid priced filter. I get mine from Costco.

Along these same lines, what do y'all think about the types of filters you use? I need to changes the ones on the returns in my house and it seems like the range in terms of price and perceived quality vary wildly. I've read reviews that the super duper hypo allergenic ones aren't worth it and that a mid-range is all you need. I don't have the same issues as the OP so I'm not overly concerned, but I've never bought a/c filters before so I'm not sure what to look for.

when i was looking this past weekend, the range was from ~8 bucks to 20 for the size i needed. not that big a range in price but i guess if you have to buy several it adds up. home depot guy suggested the one a step or two below super duper.

I use the 3m Filtrete filters. When my unit was put in, the HVAC guy said the same thing you mentioned above. Get a mid priced filter. I get mine from Costco.

We get a mid-range to low end filter and change monthly. It makes a world of difference. I have asthma and can tell a difference, especially at night. It also brought about a reduction in our power bill.

the type of filter depends on a variety of factors. do you have pets? allergies? until your unit is cleaned i may go for the nicer ones to help a little.

also, the more dense the filter (expensive) also makes you unit work harder but keeps the air cleaner. overall, i agree with the mid-priced to higher range (i also have asthma). i also use the 3 month filter (expensive), but mainly because i an lazy and don't like changing monthly.

when i was looking this past weekend, the range was from ~8 bucks to 20 for the size i needed. not that big a range in price but i guess if you have to buy several it adds up. home depot guy suggested the one a step or two below super duper.

We get a mid-range to low end filter and change monthly. It makes a world of difference. I have asthma and can tell a difference, especially at night. It also brought about a reduction in our power bill.
I typically go with the micro allergen and change every three months. They're around $10 apiece at Lowes, and come in a two pack.
51p0YV5kePL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Recently I started getting these from Costoc, its a step up in quality and they're only $2 more apiece and come in a three pack. I really havent noticed much of a difference between the two a few months in.
3M-1250-Filter.jpg

I typically go with the micro allergen and change every three months. They're around $10 apiece at Lowes, and come in a two pack.
51p0YV5kePL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Recently I started getting these from Costoc, its a step up in quality and they're only $2 more apiece and come in a three pack. I really havent noticed much of a difference between the two a few months in.
3M-1250-Filter.jpg

I actually sell air filters for a living (almost all industrial) and we get the question about the type of air filter all the time. I always say that unless you are moving a lot of air (big motor and compressor), just get a box of regular fiberglass throwaways from your local hardware store and change them EVERY month. Thats really all you need to do. The filters above are nothing more than regular pleated filters (with crazy monikers like hepa and pollen catching) that I sell customers in the range of $2.50-$3.50. In fact I had a truck driver dropping some freight yesterday and he told me he paid $20 for (2) 20 x 25 x 1 filters the day before. I thought I was going to have to pick his jaw up off the floor when I told him I'd sell him the same filter for $3.50 each.

Do you have a humidifier on the system? If you do and depending on type (flow-through or reservoir), you may have a nasty evaporator pad or drain pan. Sometimes, older units have bad solenoids that stick open and cause excess water flow. It becomes a breeding ground for mold.

I actually sell air filters for a living (almost all industrial) and we get the question about the type of air filter all the time. I always say that unless you are moving a lot of air (big motor and compressor), just get a box of regular fiberglass throwaways from your local hardware store and change them EVERY month. Thats really all you need to do. The filters above are nothing more than regular pleated filters (with crazy monikers like hepa and pollen catching) that I sell customers in the range of $2.50-$3.50. In fact I had a truck driver dropping some freight yesterday and he told me he paid $20 for (2) 20 x 25 x 1 filters the day before. I thought I was going to have to pick his jaw up off the floor when I told him I'd sell him the same filter for $3.50 each.

Do you ship?

Back