• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

i fucking hate stink bugs

Story time!
My little brother used to enjoy Christmas tree shopping for the sole reason of walking around the lot collecting the praying mantis egg sacs that fell out of the trees as they were unfurled into their stands. He would keep them in a box in his room as part of his "museum" (which also included other random nature artifacts like rocks and a piece of shed snake skin).

This was all well and good, until one of them decided it REALLY liked the conditions in there and all of a sudden... BAM. So many infant praying mantises (mantii?) We were able to contain most of them in an aquarium leftover from my hamster raising days, and there were about 100 dime-sized little buggers in there (they're super cute at that size, btw). At that age, they tend to eat each other, so pretty soon they dwindled in numbers. By the time there were about 10 left they were half-dollar sized (they were as long as a half dollar is wide), and we were getting little crickets from the pet store to feed them. This did pretty well, but they still fought (as they apparently do in nature). After probably 6 weeks, we were down to two full-sized praying mantii. Their fight to the death was brutal, but we ended up with one 5" long beast of a mantis, with the strength of 100 mantii (since it had eaten all of them and came out victorious). That spring we could finally let it go because it wasn't so cold anymore (we couldn't do this to begin with because the thing hatched in January, not April when it should have), and it lived a happy life on the bush by the front door pretty much all summer. Obviously it was only one at that point and I don't know that it necessarily affected insect levels; I think the little green anole lizards and monster wolf spiders do a better job of that.

I envision it being something like this. http://izismile.com/2013/06/14/the_birth_of_praying_mantis_babies_17_pics.html

I like your "fighting fire with fire" idea... burn the house down.

tumblr_mapwzhazNk1qzlvmi.gif

Thanks for that. Won't be sleeping comfortably tonight. Why'd I google that.

yeah i'm beginning to think these guys might be overkill... apparently they rape mantises in single combat too.

Last edited:
Back