• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I Just Want the Excitement Back ...

I used to be a danger to society when WF was playing bball. Seriously, people that had never watched a game with me thought I was going to have a heart attack from the opening tip to the final buzzer. Now, I sit and just stare at the television with no emotion regardless of what happens. Thanks Ronnie.....

I just miss the days when we were competitive. The Joel covered in tie die. I went to a lot of CP3 games when skip was around and was a student from 07-11 so I lived through the first Bzzz year and the 2009 season when we were #1, so I saw it unfold before my eyes. My freshman year we had such promise. My friends at UNC even told me they were all convinced how good we were going to be in 2009. Now this. It's just heartbreaking to see my school becoming an absolute joke and I resent Wellman for what he's done to the program. This decision wasn't hard. Firing Dino had to be done at some point, but not after an NCAA appearance where you'd scare off most coaches thinking we had impossible wishes for a new coach.

As for Bzz, we all saw it coming before the ink on Bzzz's contract was dry.

I used to be a danger to society when WF was playing bball. Seriously, people that had never watched a game with me thought I was going to have a heart attack from the opening tip to the final buzzer. Now, I sit and just stare at the television with no emotion regardless of what happens. Thanks Ronnie.....

I resemble this remark.

I just miss the days when we were competitive. The Joel covered in tie die. I went to a lot of CP3 games when skip was around and was a student from 07-11 so I lived through the first Bzzz year and the 2009 season when we were #1, so I saw it unfold before my eyes. My freshman year we had such promise. My friends at UNC even told me they were all convinced how good we were going to be in 2009. Now this. It's just heartbreaking to see my school becoming an absolute joke and I resent Wellman for what he's done to the program. This decision wasn't hard. Firing Dino had to be done at some point, but not after an NCAA appearance where you'd scare off most coaches thinking we had impossible wishes for a new coach.

As for Bzz, we all saw it coming before the ink on Bzzz's contract was dry.

It's never actually gone dry, because many Deacons have shed tears in the years since to prevent that from occurring.

I think the same thing all the time. Then I see Nerlins Noel (stupid name) play and I just sigh. Dude is a good 3 inches taller than Rodney and there is just no damn comparison between the 2 as Rodney's footwork, speed, shooting, power finishing at the rim, just about everything much better than this clown...and instead this guy is too good for us and would never ever sniff signing with WFU.

Excellent post. We need a new coach and one or two really good recruits, like Rodney Rogers type good.

[Redacted] was a terrible hire from the very beginning, he doesn't fit WFU or the ACC culturally. His record at Colorado speaks for itself, and he has no business in big time college basketball. I remember back in the day when there was electricity when Wake played UNC, Duke, and State, but the past few years we've been viewed as an easy W thanks to this mistake of a coach. Firing Gaudio was a big mistake in my opinion and we are certainly paying the price for it now.

*This is my first post here, don't hate because of my name or avatar, I come in peace and love 'em both!

I have been a Deacon fan it seems since birth. My dad, my aunt, my uncles and other family members are Wake Forest grads. Some even graduated from Wake when it was still in Wake Forest. I learned very early to hate blue (both shades) and red. One of my first memories of Wake Forest Sports is asking my dad how Phil Ford can be the national player of the year when Rod Griffin was the ACC player of the year. I remember meeting Carl Tacy and going to his basketball camps during the summer. I even stayed in what was to be my dorm room in Kitchin during the Bob Staak era. We actually managed to beat Carolina, Duke and almost beat State in a four overtime game. I was there when it all happened despite the Greensboro home games. My Carolina friends still love telling me that Woody Durham only called Richardo Peral "the 6-10 Spaniard." I was in attendance for Randolph's shot in 1995 to win the ACC Championship. I was in Napa and Sonoma Counties on my honeymoon in 1996. We had our wedding the week before the tournament so that our friends and family would show up. My wife and I found a bar that served beer and watched Carolina lose to Clemson on Friday. We taught six Spanish speaking Mexicans how to say "Go to Hell Carolina, Go to Hell!" and how to hate Dean Smith. On Sunday, we almost missed our plane in San Francisco because I was on a pay phone in the airport getting play-by-play from a friend of the final five minutes of our win over GT. I even was in attendance at our NIT Championship. I was in the wine and cheese section for the triple overtime game in Chapel Hill in 2003. I watched Justin Grey demolish Duke and I woke my kids up by being so loud watching Harvey Hale and the Georgia Tech game in the 2007 ACC Tournament. I was at the Duke game when we won with the play drawn up in the huddle during the time out. I've seen Duke lose many times in the Joel and I've also been to two of Wake's four straight wins in Cameron Indoor Stadium. There are many other memories that stand out in my mind but there is limited space.

Now, I only know that Wake played because of the ESPN app on my iPhone sending me alerts that we lost again. It is not the losing that bothers me. I am a Wake Forest fan, I am used to that. It is because of the bad head coach and the new look of the ACC. I do not even like to watch games because just seeing Coach [Redacted] angers me so much. Also, there really is no way a Wake Forest-Pittsburg basketball game will be anything like us playing Carolina, Duke, State, Virginia, Maryland or any of the old ACC teams. I hope desperately it does, but I don't see the excitement ever coming back.

Last edited:
Also, there really is no way a Wake Forest-Pittsburg basketball game will be anything like us playing Carolina, Duke, State, Virginia, Maryland or any of the old ACC teams. I hope desperately it does, but I don't see the excitement ever coming back.

I hope so too. The ACC just isn't what it used to be nor will it ever, but I do have hope for the future. I hope that 'Cuse, Pitt, 'Ville, and ND will feel like rivals one day, they will never be Duke, State or UNC, but maybe we can spark some life into this conference with these additions. For me, as long as the 4 tobacco road schools stick together, I can learn to adapt to the rest.

Last edited:
I have been a Deacon fan it seems since birth. My dad, my aunt, my uncles and other family members are Wake Forest grads. Some even graduated from Wake when it was still in Wake Forest. I learned very early to hate blue (both shades) and red. One of my first memories of Wake Forest Sports is asking my dad how Phil Ford can be the national player of the year when Rod Griffin was the ACC player of the year. I remember meeting Carl Tacy and going to his basketball camps during the summer. I even stayed in what was to be my dorm room in Kitchin during the Bob Staak era. We actually managed to beat Carolina, Duke and almost beat State in a four overtime game. I was there when it all happened despite the Greensboro home games. My Carolina friends still love telling me that Woody Durham only called Richardo Peral "the 6-10 Spaniard." I was in attendance for Randolph's shot in 1995 to win the ACC Championship. I was in Napa and Sonoma Counties on my honeymoon in 1996. We had our wedding the week before the tournament so that our friends and family would show up. My wife and I found a bar that served beer and watched Carolina lose to Clemson on Friday. We taught six Spanish speaking Mexicans how to say "Go to Hell Carolina, Go to Hell!" and how to hate Dean Smith. On Sunday, we almost missed our plane in San Francisco because I was on a pay phone in the airport getting play-by-play from a friend of the final five minutes of our win over GT. I even was in attendance at our NIT Championship. I was in the wine and cheese section for the triple overtime game in Chapel Hill in 2003. I watched Justin Grey demolish Duke and I woke my kids up by being so loud watching Harvey Hale and the Georgia Tech game in the 2007 ACC Tournament. I was at the Duke game when we won with the play drawn up in the huddle during the time out. I've seen Duke lose many times in the Joel and I've also been to two of Wake's four straight wins in Cameron Indoor Stadium. There are many other memories that stand out in my mind but there is limited space.

Now, I only know that Wake played because of the ESPN app on my iPhone sending me alerts that we lost again. It is not the losing that bothers me. I am a Wake Forest fan, I am used to that. It is because of the bad head coach and the new look of the ACC. I do not even like to watch games because just seeing Coach [Redacted] angers me so much. Also, there really is no way a Wake Forest-Pittsburg basketball game will be anything like us playing Carolina, Duke, State, Virginia, Maryland or any of the old ACC teams. I hope desperately it does, but I don't see the excitement ever coming back.

Great post we are very similar in our love for wake hoops. I cant believe whats happened to the leauge or the wake program.

I am with you man. It is really sad when I think about it.

I just want the excitement back

139046_o1.gif

Good post...Apathy from the disgruntled corp will go far in eventually replacing Buzz. I can only imagine how much in the red the athletic department is now with Grobe's huge salary and little revenue coming from b'ball.

Back