• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I miss Skip...

WFdeacon04

Reaction score
I know there have been threads about this in the past but I just got off of work, sitting drinking a beer, and trying to put our current situation out of my mind. Some of my favorite Wake Forest memories were directly influenced by Coach Prosser. Still hard to believe at times what happened... was able to see him the day before graduation in '07 and took a great photo together. So since there is nothing positive to talk about with our current program, I am going to try to be positive in this thread about my favorite coach.

Anyone else want to share some good Skip stories? Maybe when they got to meet him or just maybe something he did that made you proud that he was a part of WFU?

ncb_a_prosser2_600.jpg
skip_prosser_award_image2.jpg

news21.jpg
wakeForest.jpg

070726_skip_prosser.jpg
Skip.jpg

facility-main-ljvm2.jpg

Last edited:
My first year as a D1 assistant we went down to Atlantis to play in a preseason tournament down there. Wake Forest was also down there with Skip. Everyone was staying at the hotel and one day while riding up the elevator to our room my wife and I were joined by Skip.

Ended up getting off the elevator and having a great 10 minute conversation with him about Wake, being a young coach, life, marriage. Just a real genuine interesting person to talk to. He asked questions which I feel is always a great sign of humility. I was an assistant for a bottom feeder D1 team and he took some time to have a real conversation.

By far my lasting memory of Skip.

I loved Skip. The atmosphere he created here was truly amazing. I have no doubt he would still be the coach had the Lord not called him home. Things would be different for sure if he was still here, but everything happens for a reason. Rest in Peace Skip.

I loved Skip. The atmosphere he created here was truly amazing. I have no doubt he would still be the coach had the Lord not called him home. Things would be different for sure if he was still here, but everything happens for a reason. Rest in Peace Skip.

Was this call placed collect?

My buddy used to stuff a basketball in his backpack with his books and go to class. He would stick it in this mesh pocket so you could see it. One day Skip was walking around campus, saw this, and said to my friend, "Books and a basketball. Thats all you need."

"Meet me on the Quad at midnight" was of course epic. Loved when he and the players delivered pizzas to the students camping out.

He was cool up until he wasn't good anymore. I am sorry he died, but he was a year away from being eaten alive by you Internet lunatics.

I drove up Winston in 2004 (can't remember why) but went to the Fox and Hound to watch the Eagles Steelers game with a friend from Pittsburgh. Skip was there sitting next to us watching the game like any other fan with a pile of paperwork that he was going through during commercials. Just an all around regular guy and the coach of a top 10 team.

One of my favorite memories is the time WF04 tried to quit smoking because of Skip.

Also, he ate the soup in Benson almost daily. He would rave about it. "Try the soup, it's great!" Like Buddy the Elf with the world's best cup of coffee.

That was special regardless of what was on the court. We could have hired Brad Stevens or John Wooden, and I still would have missed Skip Prosser nearly as much as I do now.

The summer he passed away I was at Coach Haas' golf camp. We were having lunch at the Pit and Coach Prosser came over and sat down next to us. He took us all over to the ice cream vending machine (where the waffle-makers are now, or were last year at least) and challenged Coach Haas to an ice cream cone building contest. They both were amazingly good at it and Coach Prosser got his about 10 inches off the cone with a perfect swirl.

If I recall correctly it was a week or so before he died. He was an amazing guy and always went out of his way to be kind to the student body. Sad how far we've fallen in that realm.

Some of you guys are just pricks. What a sad existence you have going on there.

Thank GOD for the ignore poster feature.

People have mentioned the coach's shows at the Loop in other threads, and I think that's what will stick out most to me. He was really engaging, stopping by a lot of the tables to say hi to people and thank them for coming out. Someone told the story of Trent prank-calling during one of the shows, and the smile on Skip's face just said a lot about how close he was to his players. Also, when things went downhill after CP3 left, I remember you could just see it on his face at the show. It really hit me that no matter the flaws in his defensive strategy or whatever, this was a guy who really wanted to win and was doing everything he could to figure it out, and taking it really hard that he couldn't solve it.

Back