• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I really have no where else to bitch about this...

legacyfan

Reaction score
My fiancee is in a Doctoral Program - in the UNC School system. It includes many disciplines, including Public Health. In her class this week the professor said: "The problem in many underdeveloped nations is that there is not enough pottable water.

The word is potable - long "O" sound. Potable water is drinkable water. Pottable water is water you put in a pot.

(She - the professor - made it worse by saying they needed "pottable drinking water" later in the lecture. Worse still the some of the other students were saying "pottable" by the end of the lecture/ debate.)

My fiancee will not make waves, because this is not her main discipline, and she doesn't want to make waves one year before getting her doctorate. I get this, but damn. How can some one who works in Public Policy, and has a doctorate not know how to say potable?

Some people take proper pronunciation and grammar for granite.

I think the UT-Austin sniper had the same internal dialogue at some point

It is ridiculous, you can still see all the bullet holes where the professors and students pulled out their own guns and shot at the tower, hoping to hit the gunman.

It is ridiculous, you can still see all the bullet holes where the professors and students pulled out their own guns and shot at the tower, hoping to hit the gunman.

To be fair, almost all went home to get them and came back to shoot.

She needs to be "reigned" in.

Post her email address and we'll fill up her inbox.

Are you sure that is what she said. I mean, pacificaly, did she mean to say "potable"?

14817799.jpg

I find it ironical that someone whose thread title uses the phrase "no where" is complaining about someone else's grammar.

That's pretty embarrassing, but not really surprising.

Years ago, when I was a WF undergrad, my HES professor repeatedly pronounced esophagus as E-sho-PHA-gus during a lecture. The whole room tittered every time. I just googled this person and they are still on the WF faculty.

This takes white people problems to a whole new level. Have a drink, and relax. We're all human.

maybe "pottable drinking water" is reused bong water.

Back