• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I want out of Suntrust

Skydog Deac

Reaction score
Read this tonight: http://business.blog.ajc.com/2015/10/19/suntrust-reportedly-cutting-jobs-shifting-work-overseas/

Essentially, Suntrust is cutting jobs, hiring non-US workers, and making their ex-employees train the new workers as part of the severance package.

This is shameful. When I moved to Atlanta ten years ago, my sister told me to go to Suntrust, and they have been fine for me. But I want out now. I have a checking account, a business account, and two savings accounts with them. None of them are very complicated. I really know little about banking, but I do know I don't want to bank with an organization like this.

So, recommendations on where I should go? Sorry for the vague question, I don't know how else to ask it. Very disappointed in this Atlanta based bank.

Can corporations do this legally? You could have so much fun "trying to help" for no additional compensation.

aren't the workers getting paid severance? I'm guessing SunTrust actually consulted competent attorneys on the legality of this, although I'm sure they appreciate the "wisdom" of the financial press.

there's a difference between illegal and shitty

Credit union if you can. Local bank after that.

I agree with the credit union, but the convenience of a big bank is nice sometimes and local banks can be amateur hour especially for business accounts. I think BB&T is a good organization for a biggish bank, has been good to WFU, was conservative during the housing bubble, and is still HQd in North Carolina. I'm at a credit union but would probably go to BB&T if I wanted/needed to switch.

I banked with CCB since I was a kid, was a little disappointed after the SunTrust acquisition. Eventually it all went downhill and I moved my business accounts to Truliant Credit Union a few years ago. I still have a personal account over there, but am willing to close it as soon as I get off my butt about changing direct deposit.

Ha. With all thats gone on with Banks in the last 5 years, THIS is what grinds your gears?

They are only laying off tech nerds. Just saw an ad the other day where they are looking for bankers and lawyas. You should never have anything with suntrust in the first place, they dont have the convenience (online banking, lots of branches) of a big banks like Chase or Wells and they dont offer the customer service of a small bank. Sort of the worst of both worlds.

I banked with CCB since I was a kid, was a little disappointed after the SunTrust acquisition. Eventually it all went downhill and I moved my business accounts to Truliant Credit Union a few years ago. I still have a personal account over there, but am willing to close it as soon as I get off my butt about changing direct deposit.

used to have good friends who were loan officers and so forth at CCB. They all left within a few years of the acquisition. SunTrust basically stopped even trying to loan money in the Piedmont Triad during the recession and they still aren't trying today.

2nd. We use USAA as our primary.

I can do that. Without making you write too much, can you tell me why you like it? Is it weird to not have a branch to physically be able to go to?

Ha. With all thats gone on with Banks in the last 5 years, THIS is what grinds your gears?

They are only laying off tech nerds. Just saw an ad the other day where they are looking for bankers and lawyas. You should never have anything with suntrust in the first place, they dont have the convenience (online banking, lots of branches) of a big banks like Chase or Wells and they dont offer the customer service of a small bank. Sort of the worst of both worlds.

Did I say that I love everything about banks? Suntrust has been very convenient for me, their online banking is really good, and there are many branches near me.

I can do that. Without making you write too much, can you tell me why you like it? Is it weird to not have a branch to physically be able to go to?

We love usaa, but keep a small amount of money at Wells so we have access to a local branch. This has come in handy when ordering currency for travel, withdrawing large sums of cash (used to purchase a recreation vehicle), etc. Just transfer from USAA and pick it up.

Otherwise, for day to day stuff, not having a branch here isn't noticeable. You can deposit checks online, USAA will reimburse ATM fees (up to a set amount) each month, etc. The mobile app is pretty good too. My only regret is not going to USAA sooner than we did.

We love usaa, but keep a small amount of money at Wells so we have access to a local branch. This has come in handy when ordering currency for travel, withdrawing large sums of cash (used to purchase a recreation vehicle), etc. Just transfer from USAA and pick it up.

Otherwise, for day to day stuff, not having a branch here isn't noticeable. You can deposit checks online, USAA will reimburse ATM fees (up to a set amount) each month, etc. The mobile app is pretty good too. My only regret is not going to USAA sooner than we did.

Thanks for the help.

USAA and our Credit Union for branch convenience. I have migrated to the Credit Union for most things, but for the years I used USAA they refunded up to 10 ATM transactions each month, in lieu of having their own network. It was nice that every ATM was your ATM. Used prepaid, preaddressed envelopes to make deposits, but they seem like the type to go to mobile deposits for the same reason as the ATM policy. Others can weigh in if these are still policy or if there are limits.

I have been reasonably happy with First Citizens for business purposes.

I have been a USAA member for two decades. As others have mentioned, you can use any ATM and fees are reimbursed. Great app for depositing, and you can also deposit at any UPS store location (and some military towns like Fayetteville, NC have physical locations). USAA also has by far the best customer service of any company I have dealt with ever. You can always get a helpful representative on the phone for any reason. I have all of my banking and insurance accounts with USAA. I can't recommend them highly enough.

been a usaa member (insurance as well) for over 20 years as well. we do most of our banking through them. we do a small amount through navy fcu from time to time (one might have a better rate or something on a loan). agree that customer service has always been top notch.

auto insurance has been incredible. their roadside assistance is great and far cheaper than something like aaa.

depositing checks through their app works great. far less fees and better rates than others banks i have experienced. some atm fees are reimbursed but i rarely get cash anymore and i have seen usaa branded atm's in some places (one in the cvs near my house in northern va)

already answered above as this sat open.

if you have access to it give it serious consideration.

Back