• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I Want to Know More About Pitt and Cuse.

I've never been to Pittsburgh, but I'm going to assume it sucks because every Steelers fan that I've ever met is a complete douchebag.

Found this:
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1056023.html

Rates Best Combo of Hoops and Football athletic programs. Cuse comes in at #13 and Pitt at #9.

Other notables: UNC at 11, ND at 7, UCONN at 6, Florida St at 5.

Love it.

These "rankings" are for 2011 only. Wake edged out Rutgers last place:

It might be time to temporarily remove the “Win” from Winston-Salem because the city hasn’t seen a lot of that over the past six months. In the fall, the Demon Deacons were among the nation’s poorest football teams, losing nine straight between defeats of Duke and Vanderbilt to finish with their worst record since 2000. Nothing went well for a squad that didn’t put a single player on the All-ACC team. Despite the heroics of freshman F Travis McKie, Wake Forest still went 8-24 on the hardwood, its most losses in school history. A young team that’s already looking ahead to the future, its only road victory came almost four months ago at Elon.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1056024.html

I've never been to Pittsburgh, but I'm going to assume it sucks because every Steelers fan that I've ever met is a complete douchebag.

Let's see, coming from a Yankee fan?;)

I've lived in both. Pittsburgh is a great city, the people are a lot more accessible and friendly than in Philly. Mt. Washington is very cool, the National Aviary is a great place to visit, and Mineo's Pizza is as good as any pizza you will find. Syracuse has a lot more challenges, it hasn't really changed much through the years. The Italian section has lots of good eats, and the people are nice, but the weather is daunting.

When's the last time you did that drive? It's not that easy. Not even from DC. I did it last year and sat in traffic for close to 45 minutes trying to connect from I-70 North to I-76 West.... on a Saturday morning.

Take a look at this stupid interstate connection they have up there:

breezewoodturn.jpg

I just remember thinking how ridiculous it is to design a merge like that.. you literally drive in straight, stop and turn right, turn right again and then merge.

Wait were you coming from W-S or DC? I have only done it from DC maybe twice, which takes about four hours I guess when I moved down here. But it sucks because driving anywhere in DC sucks.

From Winston, it is super easy. Hop on 52 until I-77N, then take 77 until 19N through the middle of WV, then 19 to I-79N. You don't go through any major metropolitan areas and the only part that is a little annoying is the 19 portion because there is one town that is a blatant speed trap (Summersville, WV). But during the fall, it's really a nice drive.

Edit: Obviously you were talking about coming from DC, and I've just never had that issue, but like I said, I've only done that trip a couple times. Basically any state turnpike always kinda sucks.

Last edited:
When's the last time you did that drive? It's not that easy. Not even from DC. I did it last year and sat in traffic for close to 45 minutes trying to connect from I-70 North to I-76 West.... on a Saturday morning.

Take a look at this stupid interstate connection they have up there:

breezewoodturn.jpg

I just remember thinking how ridiculous it is to design a merge like that.. you literally drive in straight, stop and turn right, turn right again and then merge.

It's a different route from Winston-Salem to Pittsburgh. I made it all the time while at Wake and it is an easy drive as long as it is not winter. The drive is nice and scenic but driving through the mountains in West Virginia in the winter can be bad at times depending on the weather.

Wait were you coming from W-S or DC? I have only done it from DC maybe twice, which takes about four hours I guess when I moved down here. But it sucks because driving anywhere in DC sucks.

From Winston, it is super easy. Hop on 52 until I-77N, then take 77 until 19N through the middle of WV, then 19 to I-79N. You don't go through any major metropolitan areas and the only part that is a little annoying is the 19 portion because there is one town that is a blatant speed trap (Summersville, WV). But during the fall, it's really a nice drive.

Edit: Obviously you were talking about coming from DC, and I've just never had that issue, but like I said, I've only done that trip a couple times. Basically any state turnpike always kinda sucks.

I hate Summersville. Your following the highway and highway speed come down a long hill and the speed suddenly drops from 55 to 35 (or something like that) and the cops are waiting for you.

Alright, well that explains the difference then. Thanks.

Pittsburgh is a pretty cool town, I've been there a couple of times to hang out. The Cathedral of Learning is badass as well.

My perception over the last 5-10 years is the Pitt has Loser's Disease. Call it lack of killer instinct or whatever, but there's an institutional mentality that they are going to tighten up and lose close games. I've seen it happen a number of times in football and hoops. We Wake fans can sympathize. Maybe it was just a Wannstedt thing. But I was not at all surprised that they fell apart against Butler in the NCAA tourney.

Syracuse fan and alum here who has always had a soft spot for Wake because I loved Robert O'Kelley, having seen him play when he was 14 at an AAU tournament (I was 12 at the time). I hope you folks don't really believe that Syracuse fans are truly horrible. I think that you'll find that going to a game in NYC, rather than at the Carrier Dome, are very different things. Syracuse really has the feel of a midwestern town transplanted to Upstate New York, I've always felt (my dad's whole side of the family is from Syracuse so in addition to going to school there, I spent a ton of time there growing up). Syracuse fans are, by and large, very friendly people. If you judge it based on seeing a game at MSG, you're getting New York City folks who have no real association with the school and are just fans because in that city, it's all SU and St. John's (don't let Rutgers fans tell you different, no one gives a rat's ass about them).

We are a strong school academically. In addition to our communications department, which is the best in the country, we also have good engineering and business programs. Our lacrosse program is probably the best in NCAA history (until recently, we had a streak of, I believe, 23 straight years getting to the final four and we've won a ton of championships). Our football program has been a little ragged over the last decade, but we're still the 15th winningest program in NCAA history, and we've got the fifth most NFL Hall of Famers out of any school in America. Since 1990, we're 138-114, but that includes 37 losses in a four year span under Greg Robinson, the biggest mistake to happen to Syracuse football in...well, probably ever. We have a rich football tradition that includes Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, Art Monk, Gary Anderson, Donovan McNabb, Dwight Freeney, Marvin Harrison, among others.

Obviously, our basketball tradition is probably more well known at this point.

Also, my brother lived in Pittsburgh for a few years, and I have to second the sentiment that it's a lot nicer than its reputation suggests. It's really a cool town to visit.

Okay, I've made this longer than I had intended, so I'll show myself out...

I know nothing about Syracuse.

I've lived an hour's drive from Pitt for about eight years and it's a great city. Adding Pitt to the ACC is a nice coup. A very underrated university IMO, and Pittsburgh is a fun place to visit. Lots of scenic neighborhoods. Plus Pittsburgh is really the only rust belt city that has managed to successfully reinvent itself in the post-manufacturing economy. In a comparison of places like Detroit, Cleveland, Rochester/Buffalo, Pitt wins by miles.

I know nothing about Syracuse.

I've lived an hour's drive from Pitt for about eight years and it's a great city. Adding Pitt to the ACC is a nice coup. A very underrated university IMO, and Pittsburgh is a fun place to visit. Lots of scenic neighborhoods. Plus Pittsburgh is really the only rust belt city that has managed to successfully reinvent itself in the post-manufacturing economy. In a comparison of places like Detroit, Cleveland, Rochester/Buffalo, Pitt wins by miles.

The entire waterfront where Heinz Field and PNC Park (the nicest baseball stadium I've ever been to, by the way) has become absolutely gorgeous. You're absolutely right, Pittsburgh has done an incredible job not only surviving, but thriving through reinvention.

You will be surprised by the number of redneck wal-mart cuse fans. They're like NC State fans without the accent (and with a good hoops program).

The up-state NY accent is freaking terrible.

Yeah, the upstate NY accent is like some kind of weird offshoot of the Wisconsin/Minnesota accents. I'm just amazed my dad escaped that area without any sort of accent, especially considering all of his siblings have THICK accents.

From Pat Forde's Dash today, http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6994911/coaching-conference-chaos-college-football:

"So, Pittsburgh (27) and Syracuse (28) are going to the ACC. Does that actually help the league as a football entity?"

"Hate to answer a question with a question, but here are two of them: Which school has been the biggest underachiever in the Big East since it reconstituted itself in 2005? That would be Syracuse. The Orange are 24-52 in that time. And which school has fired or forced out its last six head coaches? That would be Pittsburgh. And that number doesn't count Mike Haywood, who was hired and then dropped two weeks later last winter after being charged with domestic violence. So yeah, Virginia Tech and Florida State are quaking with fear."

"And now there's talk about Connecticut (29) to the ACC. What do the Huskies bring to the table?

"After watching Randy Edsall win the Big East and then flee for mediocre Maryland, UConn brilliantly positioned itself for the future by hiring a 62-year-old who hadn't been a college coach since 2004 -- when he was fired by none other than Syracuse."

"Right, Paul Pasqualoni. Thought he looked vaguely familiar. How's that working out so far?"

"The Huskies have lost to Vanderbilt and Iowa State, annually among the worst teams in the SEC and Big 12, respectively. But, hey, they did beat Fordham!"

"Not good. Well, at least those Big East exports will bring decent fan bases to the table, right?"

"Syracuse made its first bowl game since 2004 last year and still didn't come close to selling out the 49,262-seat Carrier Dome once. Pitt usually does pretty well at the turnstiles but after two home games with a new coach and a viewer-friendly offense -- two things normally guaranteed to sell tickets -- the Panthers are averaging more than 20,000 empty seats in Heinz Field. And UConn fans will turn out if there isn't a women's basketball game at the same time. Or if they don't have to leave the state. Check the number of unsold UConn seats for last year's Fiesta Bowl for details."

"Well, isn't that a problem? Wouldn't it be embarrassing if those teams make the ACC championship game and don't bring any fans?"

"You mean like Boston College (30) in 2007 and '08? Guess the ACC is already accustomed to zero road support from its northeastern imports. Getting half-hearted football fans to travel to Charlotte or other places in the South hasn't been easy."

Forde is such a jerk about everything. Just a sour guy.

Forde is such a jerk about everything. Just a sour guy.

I find all of this realignment stuff so amusing. Two weeks ago everyone is all, "Which ACC school will get picked by the SEC? Clemson, GT, FSU, or VaTech? The SEC can have anyone it wants, because its the SEC."

Now everyone's all, "Look at the ACC taking poor Big East teams. Why they did that? That's not nice."

Syracuse fan and alum here who has always had a soft spot for Wake because I loved Robert O'Kelley, having seen him play when he was 14 at an AAU tournament (I was 12 at the time). I hope you folks don't really believe that Syracuse fans are truly horrible. I think that you'll find that going to a game in NYC, rather than at the Carrier Dome, are very different things. Syracuse really has the feel of a midwestern town transplanted to Upstate New York, I've always felt (my dad's whole side of the family is from Syracuse so in addition to going to school there, I spent a ton of time there growing up). Syracuse fans are, by and large, very friendly people. If you judge it based on seeing a game at MSG, you're getting New York City folks who have no real association with the school and are just fans because in that city, it's all SU and St. John's (don't let Rutgers fans tell you different, no one gives a rat's ass about them).

We are a strong school academically. In addition to our communications department, which is the best in the country, we also have good engineering and business programs. Our lacrosse program is probably the best in NCAA history (until recently, we had a streak of, I believe, 23 straight years getting to the final four and we've won a ton of championships). Our football program has been a little ragged over the last decade, but we're still the 15th winningest program in NCAA history, and we've got the fifth most NFL Hall of Famers out of any school in America. Since 1990, we're 138-114, but that includes 37 losses in a four year span under Greg Robinson, the biggest mistake to happen to Syracuse football in...well, probably ever. We have a rich football tradition that includes Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, Art Monk, Gary Anderson, Donovan McNabb, Dwight Freeney, Marvin Harrison, among others.

Obviously, our basketball tradition is probably more well known at this point.

Also, my brother lived in Pittsburgh for a few years, and I have to second the sentiment that it's a lot nicer than its reputation suggests. It's really a cool town to visit.

Okay, I've made this longer than I had intended, so I'll show myself out...

lol - the upstate NYC fans are obnoxious yankee white trash. the NYC fans are worse (true), but that's not saying the upstate fans are much better. and when you guys travel, it's largely the NYC crowd that makes the trips.

As for a good engineering program? lolololol - welcome to the ACC. You guys can hang with NCSU and Clemson over there in the "retard corner"

Back