• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I'd Rather See New Coordinators

JimDuncan

Reaction score
I like Jim Grobe. Most of us do (deep down). He needs to follow the Dabo Swinney model and take a pay cut and hire some hype up-and-coming coordinators. One way to help the direction of the program, esp the offense. You can't win in college football today without the ability to put up 21+ a game.

hey good idea! I'm not sure why anyone else hasn't thought of that.

I like Jim Grobe. Most of us do (deep down). He needs to follow the Dabo Swinney model and take a pay cut and hire some hype up-and-coming coordinators. One way to help the direction of the program, esp the offense. You can't win in college football today without the ability to put up 21+ a game.

Welcome to 3 years ago

Too late... What value does Grobe bring in your scenario?

Dabo pumps players up and recruits like a mad man. What does Grobe do in this scenario?

Dabo pumps players up and recruits like a mad man. What does Grobe do in this scenario?

Picks grass and looks like he's thinking about getting a colonoscopy. Even Spurrier gets fired up and throws his visor and headset.

Grobe's problem is he has more allegiance to his coordinators than to the school....which is why he should go.

Just wondering, if you were AD and told Coach Grobe at the end of what appears to be a 4-8 season, "Coach, there needs to be some changes in your staff. At the very least, I expect you to hire new offensive and defensive coordinators". Coach replies that he's not going to fire Lobo or Knorr. Would you
1. Give in and let Grobe finish his contract.
2. Give in partially and let Grobe come back next season to try to get the alltime winningest coach record.
3. Tell Grobe he needs to retire in order to keep from being fired.
4. Fire Grobe and hire a new coach and coaching staff.

Just wondering, if you were AD and told Coach Grobe at the end of what appears to be a 4-8 season, "Coach, there needs to be some changes in your staff. At the very least, I expect you to hire new offensive and defensive coordinators". Coach replies that he's not going to fire Lobo or Knorr. Would you
1. Give in and let Grobe finish his contract.
2. Give in partially and let Grobe come back next season to try to get the alltime winningest coach record.
3. Tell Grobe he needs to retire in order to keep from being fired.
4. Fire Grobe and hire a new coach and coaching staff.

5. Fire Lobo and Knorr and see what Grobe does next.

If Wellman doesn't want Lobo and Knorr working for Wake Forest, I wouldn't think Grobe could do anything to keep them employed. Maybe I'm wrong and Grobe has near unilateral control over his staff, but that just seems unlikely.

Of course, to become bowl-eligible, the Commodores need to beat a struggling Kentucky team, a Tennessee team that's 109th in the country in passing yards per game or a Wake Forest team that is 116th in points scored per contest.

No change needed here. Business as usual. Even with a change of coordinators- the overhaul would require letting the new OC bring in some of his own guys and Grobe letting him control/run the offense- JG is not capable of doing either.

Vandy will put the hurt on us.

I'd rather see an entirely new athletic department.

We need an entirely new offense and a new offensive staff. I don't think that is true on defense.

As much as it pains me to say it, I don't think that Grobe has sufficient energy to bring recovery to the program. I would love to be proven wrong; but it is difficult to defend retaining Grobe from an objective point of view.

There just isn't any energy, any reason to be excited for the future. What are we trying to do? What are we building here?

I know some wanted Skip fired after 2006 and 2007, but then, even though those teams sucked, you could see rebuilding happening, and you knew there were good things on the horizon (and unbeknownst to us then, sadly Skip wouldn't be there to see it). But there's nothing like that in either program right now.

Back