• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ideas for graduation gift

wakegrrl

Hurricane Goddess
Reaction score
So I have had a student employee for the last four years. She is graduating from the University this spring and I really want to get her something special as a graduation gift. She already has a nice computer/tote bag (which was my first thought). I don't want to just give $. I'm prepared to spend $75-$100. Thoughts? TIA.

When I graduated I really enjoyed anything with a wake logo on it.

Engraved coffee cup and/or day planner?

You're in the Triangle area, right? I always like going to Charlotte's (I think there's one at Cameron Village and another at North Hills). They have a pretty good selection of gift type stuff.

This probably isn't as fancy as you're looking for, but what about getting her a large LL Bean tote bag embroidered with her initials and filling it with another smaller gift(s)? Someone gave me one for HS grad and I use it all the time to haul books, groceries, etc. around.

Or, what about a small piece of jewelry? This site sells bracelets with inspirational type sayings on them (stuff like "follow your dreams"...don't know if she'd find that too hokey or not). http://www.modernartisans.com/p-501...-my-dreams-sterling-silver-cuff-bracelet.aspx

A really nice leather portfolio (for legal pads) and a nice pen would be a good gift if she's looking for work. Looks great for the interview and useful.

Diploma Frame.

I'm going to disagree with this one. Maybe I'm picky, but I was very stubborn with my diploma frame. I wanted very certain aspects and there are so many directions that you could go with it. For instance, do you get a frame with a pencil or water color painting of the campus or one that holds only the diploma. I just think this is a risky purchase.

a really nice pen is a good option. i got one from one of my parents' friends when i graduated high school. it's currently out of ink because i'm too lazy to do anything about it, but i STILL have that pen...9 years later. and if you know me and how spacey i can be, that's quite a feat.

A really nice leather portfolio (for legal pads) and a nice pen would be a good gift if she's looking for work. Looks great for the interview and useful.

This. My mom got me a really nice one with my initials on it. I've gotten a ton of use out of it in the past two years. For the leather portfolio I wouldn't get one with the Wake logo or anything on it, just a nice plain one with maybe her initials on there.

Booze and money work too though.

I agree with the suggestions of a nice leather portfolio & pen or the large LL Bean tote bag. I'll bet she would get a ton of use out of either one.

I got one of those leather portfolios and used it about three times. Then I got a job. Never used it again. :shrug

I got one of those leather portfolios and used it about three times. Then I got a job. Never used it again. :shrug

Yea I guess it depends on what you do. I've still used it for various off-site meetings and things where I just need to being a few things with me and I needed a pad to write things down.

I think Green is right - it depends on what you do. I feel better showing up to a meeting outside my office with a legal pad in a portfolio (and if you have some other docs you need to bring, you can shove them in there too) than with just a bright yellow pad to write on.

If you meet regularly with clients a nice portfolio is a must.

Thanks, everyone. These are all great ideas to consider. She actually just got a really good job (imagine that...a job straight out of college!) so the portfolio/pen thing would work. She will be in a position that needs that sort of thing.

I also kinda like the LL Bean tote bag, though....decisions, decisions.

Back