• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Wellman hires Michael White,will you forgive him for the BUZZ era?

Michael White

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Ron+Wellman_360_203.jpg

No!! White may be good, but here's clearly a second or third tier hire.

No, Wellman needs to land Howland at minimum, Shaka or Marshall for a homerun, for me to forgive him for this mess. White would be a wait and see, because he wouldn't make an immediate splash

Wellman isn't going to have a coach who can out-profile him or push hard for changes. I really think Howland and Marshall are pipe dreams. As much as I hate that, Wellman's track record is to look for promise (or at least his concept of it) rather than splashy names, regardless of how much success they could bring.

For Shaka, Marshall, Williams, or (maybe) Masiello: Yeah, sure.

Not quite as sold on White, to be honest.

It would seem 85% of the fanbase do not consider White the homerun hire Wellman needs.

It would seem 85% of the fanbase do not consider White the homerun hire Wellman needs.

Wellman wants to bunt and leg it out. It's just his MO. And we already know he gives two fucks about the fanbase. And alumni- or at least 90% of them.

Some would forgive him after White wins the press conference. More would forgive hiim when White comes in and produces historically good seasons like he has done at Louisiana Tech. And some will never forgive him for Bzzzz, which is also fine.

Some would forgive him after White wins the press conference. More would forgive hiim when White comes in and produces historically good seasons like he has done at Louisiana Tech. And some will never forgive him for Bzzzz, which is also fine.

He might succeed at this level but it's important to note he's only been a head coach for 3 years and has never made the NCAA tournament. And I would not be surprised if they finish middle of the pack next season with all the seniors they're losing. If he wants to step up now is the year, cause his stock probably won't be rising if they finish middle of the conference.

How about a poll where you provide the resume of Ben Howland and the resume of White and see who the fans would prefer?

But Sports Illustrated! Recruits will never talk to him again!

How about a poll where you provide the resume of Ben Howland and the resume of White and see who the fans would prefer?

BSF, I'm worried that you're WAAAAAAAY too invested in Ben Howland. You're a good dude, and I don't want you to be upset if he's not hired. Just try to ease up a bit on the Howland gas pedal, bro.

I think he would be almost completely forgiven (but never forget!) by 95% of the fanbase if we hire Shaka or Marshall. Howland would also buy him a great deal of his aura back from the fanbase.

Any of the hires below those three are going to be judged by what they accomplish in the next couple of years. None of them buy Wellman instant credibility.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2012/11/26/3691908/bruin-bites-fire-ben-howland-and-chianti-dan-edition

Inexcusable. Not just the loss, but the fact that Chianti Dan has allowed Ben Howland to remain in his job prior to this season, despite the fact that Howland is the only UCLA coach to preside over three consecutive double-digit losing seasons since Wilbur Johns in the 1940s. Oh, and don't forget that he's missed the tournament more often than Steve Lavin did. Yes, that's right: Howland's track record is pathetically on par with frauds like Steve Lavin. Bear in mind that it was only last season that Howland's pathetic dumpster fire trainwreck program was snubbed by the NIT. Yes, Coach's program, the once-proud definition of success in college basketball was snubbed by a second-tier loser's tournament. Yet, people wanted to hold on to the hope that Howland would magically turn it around with a roster of one-and-done mercenaries from the AAU circuit. And yet, here we are, the Monday after one of the most pathetic losses to one of the most pathetic opponents UCLA has ever faced.

For the record, I would be impressed by a Mike White hire, because it seems so far outside of Wellman's comfort zone to make a visionary hire of a young guy with the hopes that he can build something special. That said, my "forgiveness" of Wellman doesn't really have anything to do with who he hires. I'll be salty about it until we win again, no matter who the new coach is.

BSF, I'm worried that you're WAAAAAAAY too invested in Ben Howland. You're a good dude, and I don't want you to be upset if he's not hired. Just try to ease up a bit on the Howland gas pedal, bro.

Nah, I'd also be very happy with Shaka or Marshall, in fact, I prefer them to Howland (but I don't think there is a chance we get either of them). But I do think Howland is possible, though I fully expect Wellman to come through with an uninspiring hire. I will be pleasantly surprised if we land Howland.

Back