• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Illinois Post Game Thoughts

Mitchell's mid-range J was pretty damn critical. It was only 2 points, but I recall it was at a point in time when Illinois had made a run to cut the lead and Wake was in a drought and looking disorganized on offense. Mitchell stepped up and hit a big shot.

Agree. Completely forgot to mention that. That was a NICE stepback jumper for a stretch 4. I think he is going to be a useful player for us. Still no sign of Washington, so have to think he is on his way out after this year.

Good post but the bold part is little sad.

Not really considering we lost 65 minutes of frontcourt unexpectedly this year. NIT would be a great accomplishment for this team IMO. Next year's team should definitely be an NCAA tournament team, but this team still has a lot of loose ends to figure out after losing COllins and Dinos without a real recruiting replacement.

True. Duncan was a great defender and rebounder and efficient offensive player. Bagley is much more advanced offensively as a freshman and more athletic but he’s never going to win 5 rings.

Should have been 6 rings for Timmy.

Damn Ray Allen's prayer of a shot. :(

Agree. Completely forgot to mention that. That was a NICE stepback jumper for a stretch 4. I think he is going to be a useful player for us. Still no sign of Washington, so have to think he is on his way out after this year.
Washington is still hurt, I think. But yeah, don't know where he finds minutes.

Sams absence is weird. If he's not getting minutes now, I have to doubt he ever will.

Washington is still hurt, I think. But yeah, don't know where he finds minutes.

Forgot about that. Good call. Will be interesting to see if he can find minutes upon return. We have a lot of guard play.

Struggling to actually finish watching the game as only 6-7 minutes into the second half. A few other quick thoughts:

Chaundee - love him. Took a while to figure out who he reminds me of and I settled on cross between Jason Richardson (Michigan State) and DeShawn Stevenson (Dallas Mavs). Thought about Victor Oladipo some and a baby Arinze, but kept coming back to Jason Richardson. Josh Richardson of the Heat, currently, is more of a deep shooter. Chaundee has the athleticism and bounce of Jason R. - big time athlete and 14 year NBA career.

Sarr - dude looks like he is still growing. Devin Thomas was listed at 6'9, but he was more like 6'7. Sarr, on the other hand, is more like 6'9 listed, but still growing and might be 6'10. Agile. A little soft. But sweet stroke and major upside. Sarr looks more like a backup C, than a PF for now. Once he gets the baseline jumper and any jumper going, we can play him more at PF.

Melo - a rookie. Love the length though. If we, as a team, made a major commitment to defense (quickly), we have the guys to cause a lot of havoc (and thus offset the loss of Dinos, by playing pressure D, which Dinos could never do).

Thompson - paid more attention to him. No shot, no real offensive moves, not even a jump hook. Danny - how hard is it to teach this kid a jump hook? He did have one power drive right to the rim, power dribble, no fakes, just straight to the glass. Got fouled. Assertive, strong, like a real PF. That is what we need. Long, definitely could grab 8-9 boards a game if he got 30+ minutes, but offense is an issue. Hell, Guthridge at UNC made Matt Wenstron, Kevin Salvadori and Serge Zwikker serviceable bigs by simply teaching a jump hook (and countless other big stiffs at UNC). Manning's jump hook is famous - teach it, please!

Childress - what a cheap shot by Black. Hope he is not concussed. He needs to work tirelessly before and after practice on the exact shot his dad made to beat UNC in the ACC Tournament. That runner. He is getting right past his man, right into the lane, and he (like Crawford) instead of shooting the jumper or runner, is trying to get to the rim, all the way. Not working for BC at all. Allowing his momentum to take him too deep. Take and make the runner. If you miss it, shoot the damn runner again, and again. That's the open look, not getting STUFFED at the rim and whining about no foul call every time.

Wilbekin - like at times last year, his mid-range game and shot is really nice. That push off call on him was sort of bogus, but that was another mid-range jumper he nailed. Really like the fact he has that 15-18 foot shot - a lost art. Acted like he wanted to start making hot-hand multiple shots in a row. LOVE that leadership and awareness of what this team needs.

Woods - one more thing on him. Foul trouble. He got mugged, then committed the lame charge. They missed the bump and reach in, so he forces it. Needs to slow and calm down as this funk will not last long. He allowed the refs and his lack of offense to alter his entire game. Gotta do all the little things if you are not scoring.

Struggling to actually finish watching the game as only 6-7 minutes into the second half. A few other quick thoughts:

Chaundee - love him. Took a while to figure out who he reminds me of and I settled on cross between Jason Richardson (Michigan State) and DeShawn Stevenson (Dallas Mavs). Thought about Victor Oladipo some and a baby Arinze, but kept coming back to Jason Richardson. Josh Richardson of the Heat, currently, is more of a deep shooter. Chaundee has the athleticism and bounce of Jason R. - big time athlete and 14 year NBA career.

Sarr - dude looks like he is still growing. Devin Thomas was listed at 6'9, but he was more like 6'7. Sarr, on the other hand, is more like 6'9 listed, but still growing and might be 6'10. Agile. A little soft. But sweet stroke and major upside. Sarr looks more like a backup C, than a PF for now. Once he gets the baseline jumper and any jumper going, we can play him more at PF.

Melo - a rookie. Love the length though. If we, as a team, made a major commitment to defense (quickly), we have the guys to cause a lot of havoc (and thus offset the loss of Dinos, by playing pressure D, which Dinos could never do).

Thompson - paid more attention to him. No shot, no real offensive moves, not even a jump hook. Danny - how hard is it to teach this kid a jump hook? He did have one power drive right to the rim, power dribble, no fakes, just straight to the glass. Got fouled. Assertive, strong, like a real PF. That is what we need. Long, definitely could grab 8-9 boards a game if he got 30+ minutes, but offense is an issue. Hell, Guthridge at UNC made Matt Wenstron, Kevin Salvadori and Serge Zwikker serviceable bigs by simply teaching a jump hook (and countless other big stiffs at UNC). Manning's jump hook is famous - teach it, please!

Childress - what a cheap shot by Black. Hope he is not concussed. He needs to work tirelessly before and after practice on the exact shot his dad made to beat UNC in the ACC Tournament. That runner. He is getting right past his man, right into the lane, and he (like Crawford) instead of shooting the jumper or runner, is trying to get to the rim, all the way. Not working for BC at all. Allowing his momentum to take him too deep. Take and make the runner. If you miss it, shoot the damn runner again, and again. That's the open look, not getting STUFFED at the rim and whining about no foul call every time.

Wilbekin - like at times last year, his mid-range game and shot is really nice. That push off call on him was sort of bogus, but that was another mid-range jumper he nailed. Really like the fact he has that 15-18 foot shot - a lost art. Acted like he wanted to start making hot-hand multiple shots in a row. LOVE that leadership and awareness of what this team needs.

Woods - one more thing on him. Foul trouble. He got mugged, then committed the lame charge. They missed the bump and reach in, so he forces it. Needs to slow and calm down as this funk will not last long. He allowed the refs and his lack of offense to alter his entire game. Gotta do all the little things if you are not scoring.

Sarr is listed at 7'.

Should have been 6 rings for Timmy.

Damn Ray Allen's prayer of a shot. :(

Or perhaps 7 as Derek Fisher had a miracle shot in there, one year.

Not as much a miracle as Allen's, but still a 1/100 chance dagger. Allen's game was more on Pop making one of the worst coaching decisions of all time and taking Tim out on DEFENSE and being pissed that Kawhi could not grab the 1 damn rebound they needed to secure a ring. Duncan grabs that board before it even bounds all the way out to D Wade.

Interesting quote from the Illinois boards:

Wake is a poor team, but they do have some really big guys and a coach who understands how to use them. We were helpless against their big men.

I guess it's all about point of view.

Or perhaps 7 as Derek Fisher had a miracle shot in there, one year.

Not as much a miracle as Allen's, but still a 1/100 chance dagger. Allen's game was more on Pop making one of the worst coaching decisions of all time and taking Tim out on DEFENSE and being pissed that Kawhi could not grab the 1 damn rebound they needed to secure a ring. Duncan grabs that board before it even bounds all the way out to D Wade.

Exactly! I guess he wanted to be able to switch everything, but i knew it was gonna bite him in the ass! Hard to argue with his overall success, and he probably will tell you he'd do it the same way again, but man that sucked!

Sarr is going to be very good. His running motion is so fluid. Most basketball his size lumber around the court, but he has very light feet. Looking forward to seeing him develop. I have no idea what kind of offensive game he has yet, because he hasn't really attempted anything, but I love the way he moves, and I love his passing.

Sarr has great form on his shot for a big, understands and enjoys PnR, has very good hands, is a willing passer. It's likely just a matter time and usage for him to be a very, very good offensive player.

Our future at F/C is extremely bright. Hopefully Manning will realize the future is now and give Sarr, Mitchell, and Melo more playing time.

Sarr is going to be very good. His running motion is so fluid. Most basketball his size lumber around the court, but he has very light feet. Looking forward to seeing him develop. I have no idea what kind of offensive game he has yet, because he hasn't really attempted anything, but I love the way he moves, and I love his passing.

thanks for all your posts, dude. Really good. This is why I like coming to this board. I'm also glad our Deacs gave us some positive signs in the game the other night so we have something positive to discuss.

Lets not forget BC dislocated (jammed?) his finger right after that steal and his corner three, and still went on to lead his team. i was sitting pretty close to the bench and saw his reaction and the docs reaction. BC kept shaking his head and was in obvious pain. I was impressed with how well he played while injured.

Our guys had a lot of poise at the start considering that ILL came out very active on defense, but they did not sustain that initial intensity for very long.

Good thread. Everyone focused on a topic and providing their observations provides a thorough analysis. Thanks Wrangor.

A couple of thoughts. Donovan has been a contributor on offense. To increase his minutes he will need to rebound and play D without fouling. Half of Thompson's rebounds are on the offensive boards where he has difficulty converting them to points. His weakness on the defensive boards make his minutes tenuous. Chaundee is a freshman sg/sf. Playing him at the four is nonsense. He has enough on his plate learning to play his natural positions at the college level.

Our future at F/C is extremely bright. Hopefully Manning will realize the future is now and give Sarr, Mitchell, and Melo more playing time.

Especially considering that this season's post season hopes are largely dashed. May as well put Thompson in a reserve role and give Sarr and Mitchell and Melo time to learn on the job.

I think Brown is playing the perfect amount of minutes to bring him along the right way. He has a good offensive rating, hits the boards well, protects the ball, and I think his 3-pt shot will start falling more consistently too (although at 35% it's already a threat to the opposition).

I would guess he comes on strong the second half of the year and doesn't hit the freshman wall.

Back