• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Immigration Discussion

there is a small measles outbreak at a migrant shelter here in Chicago

I don't know anything about measles, so unsure if a vaccinated person is at-risk, but it does seem like being mindful of how infectious diseases might affect folks living in a concentrated community of migrants from low-vaccine countries should be a part of setting up transitional living for migrants

Almost everything of concern paraded around from immigrants are vaccine preventable diseases which aren’t a problem in a well vaccinated population but we know how that is going in the US now. The problems are often amplified because “outbreaks” occur but usually in the congregate settings that house immigrants themselves so the true problem is within those populations and not the public at large.

Even people making entry illegally that are detained undergo health screenings and are offered vaccines but it’s can’t be forced. The real concern in the US should be the general attitude about vaccines, public health, and infectious disease. You’re not dying because an immigrant crosses the border and has vzv you’re dying because Windy went on a business trip to India, made some questionable decisions and brought back a mutated strain of Nipah.
XN6DA3FGVBH7RMPYVFXMX62WCQ.jpg

There is some data that shows concern about highly-infectious diseases that have all but been eradicated in the US (like TB), that are more prevalent in other countries - a condition exacerbated by harsh and close-quarter conditions that refugees and other migrants live in before arriving to the US. But to put in perspective, the CDC did a 5 year study, where 3.5 million immigrants entered the US and about 3.7% has class B (non-infectious) TB. and less than .3% had syphilis or gonorrhea. Those that come through normal channels of immigration undergo health screenings for these diseases and samples from the undocumented community don't point to significant threat of a widespread epidemic.

The same crowd that is worried about infectious disease from immigrants has a huge overlap with the anti-vax crowd that has caused measles outbreaks and lost their shit over any reasonable measure to try to mitigate the spread of Covid.

This fucker piggybacked off everyone in our physics classes. He was smart, but very clearly more interested in appearing smarter than he was than on doing work to prove he was that smart.

This fucker piggybacked off everyone in our physics classes. He was smart, but very clearly more interested in appearing smarter than he was than on doing work to prove he was that smart.
My ex-wife says she remembers him smoking a lot of weed.

During the first round game of the ACC tournament, they showed, on the Jumbotron, some notable alumni from every school playing. I remember praying that they would not choose Lapado, Jesse Helms, or Richard Burr for us. Thankfully, they did not.

My ex-wife says she remembers him smoking a lot of weed.

I didn't see that but damn was he interested in talking about himself. We had a Physics prof, who LOVED to tell everyone about his Harvard pedigree and Ladapo latched onto him like a lost puppy.

Over the next couple of days I'm going to try to post some about the relationship between immigration and human trafficking in that final placeholder spot. Focusing on the difference between trafficking and migrant smuggling (and how the conflation of the two impacts immigration discussions) as well as how immigration policy influences/empowers traffickers.

If y'all have any specific questions about this topic, post them and I'll try to incorporate my understanding into the post.

Back