• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Impact of WFUBMC measured

Supradeac

Reaction score
Battelle Report on Wake Forest Baptist Health

From article:

"Overall, the report reveals the operations of Wake Forest Baptist contributed more than $3.8 billion in direct and indirect economic benefits to Forsyth County, the region and North Carolina in FY2011 by providing thousands of jobs, state-of-the-art health care, pioneering medical research, commercialization of intellectual property and tax dollars.

The Battelle report says Wake Forest Baptist is an exceptional economic asset for North Carolina and generates nearly $1.76 in county revenue for every $1 it spends in Forsyth County."

I never actually thought how much monetary impact Wake has on the area but this is pretty impressive.

images

Battelle Report on Wake Forest Baptist Health

From article:

"Overall, the report reveals the operations of Wake Forest Baptist contributed more than $3.8 billion in direct and indirect economic benefits to Forsyth County, the region and North Carolina in FY2011 by providing thousands of jobs, state-of-the-art health care, pioneering medical research, commercialization of intellectual property and tax dollars.

The Battelle report says Wake Forest Baptist is an exceptional economic asset for North Carolina and generates nearly $1.76 in county revenue for every $1 it spends in Forsyth County."

I never actually thought how much monetary impact Wake has on the area but this is pretty impressive.

We are, by far, the largest employer in Forsyth County.

haha 2nd year med student here. so i pay $40K+ to be there.

but love it, badass place. plus many of the people where i am from in VA come down here for treatment

I sometimes wonder if W-S residents take the Baptist for granted. It's a really great hospital in a number of ways. Those numbers, while really impressive, aren't terribly surprising.

WSJ pissed me off for publishing that article last Fall about how many people were dying at WFUBMC; what it failed to take into account:

Baptist- takes in all the patients Forsyth and other local hospitals refuse to treat, is the region's level 1 trauma center, has the highest majority of Medicare patients who have terminal illness

Given these few factors it makes sense why baptist had a "bad" survival rate compared to other hospitals who refuse to treat those very sick/destitute.

WSJ pissed me off for publishing that article last Fall about how many people were dying at WFUBMC; what it failed to take into account:

Baptist- takes in all the patients Forsyth and other local hospitals refuse to treat, is the region's level 1 trauma center, has the highest majority of Medicare patients who have terminal illness

Given these few factors it makes sense why baptist had a "bad" survival rate compared to other hospitals who refuse to treat those very sick/destitute.

I stopped reading after Winston-Salem Journal cited a "fact".

We're the only level 1 trauma center in a large part of the state. God help them if facts actually got into the discussion.

Yep. I like to think that anyone with half a brain would have figured out that wasn't news, but that didn't stop the W-SJ from running it.

It doesn't have nearly the same impact, but it would be interesting to see a similar study on the university itself.

Also highlights some of the marketing opportunities being missed. I'm thinking Deacon branded tongue depressors.

Back