• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interstellar

Couldn't you use this paragraph to demonstrate value in just about any movie, though? Many good movies will ask us to question our value systems and challenge us to judge characters that aren't necessarily black or white. Nolan's not special, or even really particularly good, when it comes to that craft.
Yeah, this is definitely not one of Nolan's better traits. His characters are, on a whole, just set decorations and mouth pieces for him to unravel his "epic" narrative.

Yeah, this is definitely not one of Nolan's better traits. His characters are, on a whole, just set decorations and mouth pieces for him to unravel his "epic" narrative.
I don't mean this to come off as me bashing the guy. I love Nolan, and he remains one of the few directors who makes must see, event films. I kinda hope for his next movie he forgets the $200 million budget and goes to something a bit smaller and more intimate.

I'd rank Nolan's work as such:
9. Following
8. Insomnia
7. Interstellar
6. Memento
5. The Prestige
4. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Inception
1. The Dark Knight

Couldn't you use this paragraph to demonstrate value in just about any movie, though? Many good movies will ask us to question our value systems and challenge us to judge characters that aren't necessarily black or white. Nolan's not special, or even really particularly good, when it comes to that specific craft.

Oh absolutely.

What I was trying to say is that even though I agree with all of you alls Nolan criticisms, I think the grandness of his films makes the things he is trying to highlight or make the audience ponder all the brighter

In other words, I can easily glance over the clunky dialogue or ornamental characters if ultimately I remember them and what they represent because of the grandiose production around them

I don't mean this to come off as me bashing the guy. I love Nolan, and he remains one of the few directors who makes must see, event films. I kinda hope for his next movie he forgets the $200 million budget and goes to something a bit smaller and more intimate.

9. Following
8. Insomnia
7. Interstellar
6. Memento
5. The Prestige
4. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Inception
1. The Dark Knight
Wait, you have these critiques of Interstellar and you think Inception is Nolan's second best flick?

Oh absolutely.

What I was trying to say is that even though I agree with all of you alls Nolan criticisms, I think the grandness of his films makes the things he is trying to highlight or make the audience ponder all the brighter

In other words, I can easily glance over the clunky dialogue or ornamental characters if ultimately I remember them and what they represent because of the grandiose production around them

This is fair, and why I love Nolan so much. I just think he did this better in some of his other movies. But just the combination of Nolan's images and Zimmer's sounds is an event unto itself.

Wait, you have these critiques of Interstellar and you think Inception is Nolan's second best flick?

Certainly it has many of the same problems, but Nolan takes an action vehicle with men in suits carrying guns and turns it into a pop tragedy. He uses these archetypes far better than any other director who had tried a similar thing. I think it's far more inventive and impactful than Interstellar.

Last edited:
Oh absolutely.

This is fair, and why I love Nolan so much. I just think he did this better in some of his other movies. But just the combination of Nolan's images and Zimmer's sounds is an event unto itself.

I agree with a lot of this. Where I differ is in believing that Nolan uses heavy exposition in an effective, entertaining way. IMO it's one of Nolan's greatest skills to fit 5 hours of narrative into a 2.5 hour film while still maintaining consistent pace and emotional connection with the audience. I would compare this with Malick's ability to effectively tell a story with long stretches of un-narrated visuals.

Now if you want to criticize the quality of the dialogue itself, that's fair, but I don't believe the use of heavy exposition should automatically be criticized.

Yeah, my critique is more towards the dialogue itself than the use of heavy exposition. One of my favorite things about Nolan is that he makes a 2.5 hour movie seem shorter than a lot of 1.5 hour flicks. This is mostly due to his preference towards weaving 3-4 storylines together, and using intercutting (huge influence from silent movie era) to unleash them all at once. This is why I think he's at his best when he shuts his characters up and let's his camera/Zimmer do the talking.

I loved the score, but is anybody going to call Zimmer out for ripping off Philip Glass?

9. Following
8. Insomnia
7. Interstellar
6. Memento
5. The Prestige
4. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Inception
1. The Dark Knight

Wait. Wut?

9. Following
8. Insomnia
7. Interstellar
6. Memento
5. The Prestige
4. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Inception
1. The Dark Knight

I haven't seen Interstellar yet but here is my ranking:

8. Following
7. Batman Begins
6. Insomnia
5. The Dark Knight Rises
4. The Prestige
3. Inception
2. The Dark Knight
1. Memento

Good, but disappointing given year long excitement for this flick. The problem IMO is that Nolan is a superior director to writer, and I don't just mean corny or overly on the nose exposition or dialogue. There were a lot of clunky story elements that seemed to be rammed in just to serve Nolan the director. I felt the same way about TDKR.

I thought it was good, not great. Surprisingly effective emotionally a couple times, particularly when he is watching 23 years of his son's life unfold before him in a span of 3 minutes. I liked it better than Dark Knight Rises, which I thought was the worst of all the Batman films. It's going to be tough for him to ever top Inception if he keeps making "what if" type movies, but I appreciate the fact that he's trying. He's about the only guy out there consistently churning out epic style films right now, so hats off for that.

Probably a skewed take because we saw it in a legit IMAX theater at Udvar Hazy, but pretty much loved every second of Interstellar. Thought the pacing was great, loved the open with the drone and the farm. Was terrified that it was about to go Contact and ruin the whole movie at the end but they managed not to. There were a few plot questions but overall I love movies with a space exploration theme to them (I liked Prometheus more than most) so it was right up my alley. Oh, and while the huge screen was cool, the sound was possibly even better since the music was pretty phenomenal. Awesome movie experience.

I thought it was good, not great. Surprisingly effective emotionally a couple times, particularly when he is watching 23 years of his son's life unfold before him in a span of 3 minutes. I liked it better than Dark Knight Rises, which I thought was the worst of all the Batman films. It's going to be tough for him to ever top Inception if he keeps making "what if" type movies, but I appreciate the fact that he's trying. He's about the only guy out there consistently churning out epic style films right now, so hats off for that.

I pretty much agree. Although I would say Interstellar is more "ok" than even "good." I saw it in Imax last Thursday night and I'm not upset I paid my 17 bucks to see it, but I was underwhelmed. I'll go a little more unpopular on this thread and say I didn't think much of Zimmer's score either. It just seemed like a typical Zimmer score to me, except even louder than normal. In fact, probably my biggest complaint with the movie was the sound mix. There were multiple times when someone was talking and I have no idea what they said because all I could hear was Zimmer's screeching score and rockets!

I was into it for about the first third of the movie, even if a lot of the "science" of why the earth is dying is pretty laughable. I was still fine with it, as it was just a sci-fi trope to get the movie rolling, but "Mann" the last third of the movie is just, kind of silly. Who knew that Nolan, a director most often criticized for being cold and unemotional, would use an alleged "hard sci-fi" film to try to get all into an existential love story?

I don't think it was an awful movie, but I can't go so far to call it good.

Just saw this flick and really liked it. Its a huge fucking movie. I enjoyed it all the way throughout with the "trapped in a bookcase" part being a little weird but not ruining it for me. Like a previous poster said, not many people are making movies of this scale so I have to give massive credit to Nolan. It's just a bigger experience to see one of his films. MM was fantastic. Damon plays the bitch better than anyone. I saw this thing sober but want to go again and see it stoned as hell.

Back